What platformer are you playing now?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
G-Darius
32-bit

Re: What platformer are you playing now?

Post by G-Darius »

The Perils Of Willy on the Vic20 (1984)

I know it is a bit old school but apart from that I have been playing mostly shooters in the last month lol.
Perils Of Willy Vic20 -Youtube
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I approve. VIC-20 is awesome.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I am slowly but surely reaching the end of Duke Nukem II. I'm on episode 4 and just died in the second level because I'm a noob and ran into a plasma barrier while dodging enemies.

I am going to be quite happy when I'm done with this one.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Been on a Mario kick lately.

Currently, Super Mario Bros. 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

MrPopo wrote:I am slowly but surely reaching the end of Duke Nukem II. I'm on episode 4 and just died in the second level because I'm a noob and ran into a plasma barrier while dodging enemies.

I am going to be quite happy when I'm done with this one.

Remember the way to tell if a red box has a bomb or life. If there is a bomb, you will only see the upper half of his body (he will be behind the box), if there is health, you'll see his whole body (he will be in front of the box).
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, I figured out the trick for red boxes pretty early on. I've got a long list of grievances I plan on posting when I have an entry for this game in the Games Beaten thread.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dust_hound
24-bit

Post by dust_hound »

I've just discovered the joy of Donkey Kong '94 on 3DS Virtual Console.

I hadn't heard about it until recently, but happened across a LP on Youtube when browsing randomly, and decided i had to experience it for myself. Slightly disappointed that the 3DS VC can't even change the colours from the standard green, and the Super Gameboy enhancements would have been awesome added value, but as it stands, playing in old-school green, using like two thirds of my NN3DS upper screen, it's one of the most compelling videogame experiences that i've ever had.

When i bought the game on Sunday, i played for something like three hours straight, which i have not done with any game, on any format, for a few years. I think i've definitely found one of my 'desert island games', and can see myself revisiting it a lot in future.

Can anyone recommend any other puzzle platformers with similar gameplay? Preferably DS, 3DS or Virtual Console on 3DS or Wii, but i'm open to emulation at a push.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dust_hound wrote:I've just discovered the joy of Donkey Kong '94 on 3DS Virtual Console.

I hadn't heard about it until recently, but happened across a LP on Youtube when browsing randomly, and decided i had to experience it for myself. Slightly disappointed that the 3DS VC can't even change the colours from the standard green, and the Super Gameboy enhancements would have been awesome added value, but as it stands, playing in old-school green, using like two thirds of my NN3DS upper screen, it's one of the most compelling videogame experiences that i've ever had.

When i bought the game on Sunday, i played for something like three hours straight, which i have not done with any game, on any format, for a few years. I think i've definitely found one of my 'desert island games', and can see myself revisiting it a lot in future.

Can anyone recommend any other puzzle platformers with similar gameplay? Preferably DS, 3DS or Virtual Console on 3DS or Wii, but i'm open to emulation at a push.

Nice. DK94 is one of my top 5 on the Game Boy for sure. It might even be the best game on the console.

You can swap between the green colour scheme and the grey GB Pocket colour scheme on 3DS VC by holding L and R iirc, but it's still not colour.

If you like DK 94, you should try Mario vs. DK on GBA (or 3DS VC if you have an ambassador system). It's not as good, but it is pretty much a sequel to DK94 with very similar gameplay mechanics. The later Mario vs DK games play quite differently, often kind of like Lemmings.
dust_hound
24-bit

Post by dust_hound »

Thanks for the tip, Alienjesus - i'll try it on my commute home today after work!

Currently on world 5 - Desert, and am really loving the depth of gameplay.

I'd heard about Mario vs DK, although i don't have the means to play it. That said, i worry that since it isn't as good, i'll have peaked at DK'94, and have already tasted the tastiest of the puzzle platformers of this type. Do i now have to lower my expectations?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Lower your expectations. I still enjoyed Mario vs. DK, but DK '94 is the crème de la crème.