Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!

Which is better?

Super Mario Bros 3.
39%
Super Mario World
39%
Both are equally great
22%

Total votes: 128

Ziggy

Re: Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World?

Post by Ziggy »

I said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again. If Super Mario Bros. 3 had a save feature exactly like in Super Mario World, than I would say with out a doubt that 3 is better. The fact that ever time I turn on the game I have to start from the beginning just kills me.

And yes, I know that the All-Stars version lets you save, but it's not at all like World. And you still can't replay levels that have already been beat.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I agree Zigs... although 3 is an amazing game I just feel that World perfected the formula.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I agree that 3 would have been better with save and replayable levels. However...Super Mario Bros 3 is still the best Mario platformer in my opinion. I love Super Mario World - I'd put it at a close number 2 - but I'll always prefer SMB3.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Classic Gamer
8-bit

Post by Classic Gamer »

id have to say super mario world is better even super mario bros 3 has better music.the reason i prefer world is because of its secret levels and star worlds ,there always a level you can find that you've never played before.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Post by disorderlyvision »

SM3 has waaay more nostalgia value for me (I didn't own a SNES growing up). I must have beaten that game 50 times by now. It blew the other NES Mario's out of the water. definitely a 10/10.

That being said, I think I like SMW slightly better. I like being able to replay levels. There were a lot more hidden areas and new paths to open up. Yoshi was an interesting addition. I liked the variety of power ups in SM3 better, but felt the cape was an improvement over the raccoon tail, as you could fly for a longer distance and do the power drop. I liked some of the level designs better and felt that there was just more to do and see in SMW.

So, out of those two games I give SMW the edge, though I voted they were both awesome in the poll.

That being said.... SMW2 has grown on me to the point that I might like it more than the other two. Visually, Yoshi's Island is f'n awesome. SM3 & SMW were both good graphically, but SMW2 was good...and unique. It added some interesting concepts, like Yoshi shooting eggs, and carrying a stock of them behind him. Pretty much the only reason I hear people rag on this game is because of baby Mario. I agree his cry is extremely annoying, but I think it adds a sense of urgency to hurry up and get him back so the little bastard will shut up. A fantastic game, nonetheless.

Hated Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine...

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Might be the best Mario yet. This game kicks so much ass. Me and a buddy dominated the game in co-op, completing everything, and had a blast. The Bowser fight is pretty epic. This game was so good I bought a Wii for my daughters birthday coming up.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I liked Mario World better. More unique level design, and more challenging once you get to the extra stages.

But, my favorite Mario game is Super Mario Advance. The Doki Doki one.

Can't beat that.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

The only problem with the save idea is that ... when they did introduce a Save feature ... 3 became way too easy.

Playing through the whole journey is part of the charm ... and World is a substantially longer game, so saving was somewhat necessary. 3 is not really that long.

I chose both are equally great ... but my real answer is ... it depends on my mood. Sometimes I like 3 more, sometimes I like World more.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Ziggy587 wrote:I said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again. If Super Mario Bros. 3 had a save feature exactly like in Super Mario World, than I would say with out a doubt that 3 is better. The fact that ever time I turn on the game I have to start from the beginning just kills me.

And yes, I know that the All-Stars version lets you save, but it's not at all like World. And you still can't replay levels that have already been beat.

I LOVE the AS version of it; game overs are punishing enough to make you backtrack through levels you went through, but progress feels substantial enough thanks to the fortresses and such staying dead.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I've never been a huge fan of Super Mario World. It always felt like a step backwards to me. Yes the save feature was a big plus but it also made the game incredibly easy. It felt like they were taking things back to basics which was both good and bad. The end result, to me at least, was something that didn't feel like the successor to Super Mario Bros. 3. Even Miyamoto said he felt the game was rushed but he also said on a different occasion that it's his favorite Mario game so I guess it doesn't really matter what he says.

All-Stars and Super Mario Advance 4 gave Super Mario Bros. 3 a save feature as well and I really love those versions of the game though they haven't replaced my NES cartridge for nostalgia reasons. Also the game didn't need a save feature anyway, that's what the warp whistles are for and what gamer alive these days doesn't know how to get them?

That doesn't mean I think SMW is not fun, it's very fun and a lot of the gimmicks like giant enemies and mode 7 moments were cute and impressive for their time. It just lacked the variety and level-design perfection of Super Mario Bros. 3. The platforming is still solid but I can't help but feel that *something* is off since I'm not quite the incredible acrobat in this game that I am in the first and third titles.

To be fair I have other nostalgia based reasons for being hard on SMW though, it's one of the reasons I defected to the Genesis back in the day. As a kid it left me with the impression that the SNES wasn't that much of a leap over the NES, while Sonic seemed to be something more. That is of course exactly what Sega's marketing team wanted me to think so bravo to them.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Gunstar Green wrote:I've never been a huge fan of Super Mario World. It always felt like a step backwards to me. Yes the save feature was a big plus but it also made the game incredibly easy. It felt like they were taking things back to basics which was both good and bad. The end result, to me at least, was something that didn't feel like the successor to Super Mario Bros. 3. Even Miyamoto said he felt the game was rushed but he also said on a different occasion that it's his favorite Mario game so I guess it doesn't really matter what he says.

He calls DKC uninnovative and and thinks that 3D (3DS kind, not N64 kind) is a full on gaming enhancement. He thinks that gaming needs innovation then makes four NSMB games and SMG2. He lost my respect a looong time ago.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX