Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
MrPopo

Re: Castlevania Appreciation Thread

by MrPopo Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Oh man, you never ran Sypha? Her magic does some crazy damage.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Started playing The Castlevania Adventure (GB) last night, and...whew...it is rough! The controls are horrendous, and it’s like your character is wading through water the whole game. I may have to emulate this one. Fortunately, the GB sequels seem much, much better.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm

That's the only GB one I have and holy hell is it atrocious.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 pm

MrPopo wrote:Oh man, you never ran Sypha? Her magic does some crazy damage.

I've seen speedruns, and yeah, I'm aware of what she can do. I just never dived into those three characters, for whatever reason.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Started playing The Castlevania Adventure (GB) last night, and...whew...it is rough! The controls are horrendous, and it’s like your character is wading through water the whole game. I may have to emulate this one. Fortunately, the GB sequels seem much, much better.

I got really sick of how slow it moves. I ended up using a Game Genie code that "improves speed slightly."

FF7-3CE-E69

It makes the game a lot more playable, but it kinda breaks the difficulty in sections that rely on the speed.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Anyone ever beat the second quest / hard mode in a Castlevania game? I've beaten the hard mode in 1 and 4, but for some reason I never thought about playing 3. I was just watching it on AGDQ and Medusa heads are replaced with skulls that actually chase you (link). It's awesome to learn something new about a game you thought you knew everything about!

I was wondering what was up with those skulls. I caught the back half of that run, and sort of chalked it up to it being the US version. I've only played the Japanese version, but I did play a fair amount of the second loop. I don't remember any of those skulls, but I went the Alucard route, and stopped at the last stage before the castle, with the tower of falling blocks. I lost the war of attrition at that point. It didn't really help that I had essentially played all the stages in the game by that point, either. I went with Sypha on the first loop, so it also wasn't really as fun having Alucard with me. I still have my password from that playthrough, though. I don't think I've ever bothered to play the hard mode in any other Castlevania game.
Last edited by pierrot on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 am

Oh, now I remember... I beat Bloodlines on the expert difficulty setting, and with both characters. I'm definitely gonna have to check out 3 on hard mode. I have both the NES and FC versions, I think I'd like to try and beat both on hard.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:34 am

I’ve beaten the second quest in Castlevania (NES). The only difference between it and the first is the addition of Medusa heads in places the y do not appear ordinarily. I didn’t think it added much challenge.

I will have to try the Castlevania III second quest sometime, though. That game rules.
Ordinary Gamer
8-bit

by Ordinary Gamer Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am

So we have Castlevania Anniversary Collection and Bloodstained Ritual of the Moon just around the corner, which is exciting. Did anyone else LOVE this new trailer for Bloodstained. Iga showing his fun side here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79KArgmgcc
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 pm

The Castlevania Collection is getting bad reviews on Steam. Most of them are citing no controller mapping options and choppy gameplay. I don't know how they games play on other platforms, but that's a shame to hear. If I buy it, it will mostly be to get the digital book, which I would rather have on PC.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:The Castlevania Collection is getting bad reviews on Steam. Most of them are citing no controller mapping options and choppy gameplay. I don't know how they games play on other platforms, but that's a shame to hear. If I buy it, it will mostly be to get the digital book, which I would rather have on PC.

I hope it's good on console. I'll be getting it further on down the road. I've already beaten most of these and dont really need to play through them again at present.
Return to Platformers