Linux Mint
No votes
Linux Ubuntu
3%
Other (Please explain)
6%

Total votes: 32

marurun

Re: What is your main OS and why? (Poll)

Post by marurun »

The lack of low end Macs at a tru low end price? And Apple’s latest mobile keyboard designs. Otherwise, he’ll yeah. OS X is da bomb
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:The lack of low end Macs at a tru low end price? And Apple’s latest mobile keyboard designs. Otherwise, he’ll yeah. OS X is da bomb

I buy used and / or broken macs and fix ‘em up. I should revive that Macintosh repair thread. That was fun.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's hilarious that NO one voted Windows 8. I know it's a small sample size, but even so there's more Linux users than 8 lol.

My main desktop has had Windows 7 on it pretty much since it was released. I've said recently in other threads, this desktop turned 10 this year. That, and with support for 7 ending at the end of the year, I've decided I need to build a new PC with a new OS.

I love 7. It's been my favorite desktop environment to date. I took the "don't fix what isn't broken" approach when 8 and 10 came out.

I have messed around with Linux a few times over the years. The first time was with Ubuntu, back when it was using GNOME. More recently I've been using Linux Mint. I went with the MATE flavor because I thought it would be a better choice for my laptop. I have an i3 laptop with Win7. When I upgraded to a larger SSD in my desktop, I put my old SSD in my laptop and installed MINT on it. I still have my Win7 HDD for the laptop, and I'll swap them out depending what OS I want to use. Yes, I know I can dual boot. I did it this way because I wanted to try out the OS without fucking with my Win7 partition. But now that Win7 support is ending, I think I'll finally dual boot Linux on my laptop. I'll keep Win7 for compatibility, but run Linux for anything that requires the internet.

I've mostly liked my experience with Linux Mint MATE. I would be interested in trying Ubuntu again. I didn't really like Unity when I first saw it, but after watching videos it's starting to grow on me. Or I might just stick with Mint, but switch to Cinnamon.

o.pwuaioc is right, Linux really isn't hard to use. And if you get a more popular distro like Ubuntu or Mint, they're making those pretty dummy proof for the average user.

As for my next main desktop that I will build in the near future, I'm just gonna go with Windows 10. I've thought about going with some form of Linux, but I would miss the compatibility too much. Mostly for games. I've been using Windows 10 at work for about 2 years now and it's not super terrible. Although there are some quirks that drive me nuts. Like when num lock stops working for no reason, or when my default apps get all messed up after an update.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

samsonlonghair wrote:I buy used and / or broken macs and fix ‘em up. I should revive that Macintosh repair thread. That was fun.

That's something that is increasingly difficult to do with most of their lineup, and the main pro and con of OS X is that it's tied to the platform. Only needing to support a narrow range of hardware, software, and use cases does let it modernize and move on more readily than others. Just kinda sucks if you want to use something outside of what Apple feels like supporting.

Nobody is going to vote Windows 8 because there's literally no reason to use it in the face of 10. Sort of like Vista to 7.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Ziggy587 wrote:It's hilarious that NO one voted Windows 8. I know it's a small sample size, but even so there's more Linux users than 8 lol.

That "other" is Linux, too!

As for my next main desktop that I will build in the near future, I'm just gonna go with Windows 10. I've thought about going with some form of Linux, but I would miss the compatibility too much.

Definitely try out different distros, too. I played around a lot before I went [back] to Fedora. Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, but also Arch and Gentoo. Sometimes it's finding what clicks.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Fedora.

I just now found out that Red Hat was discontinued in 2004, and the version I have access to is Red Hat Enterprise. I actually really like Red Hat Enterprise, and didn't know that Fedora was the "consumer" distro. I might have to look into Fedora, or maybe even Scientific Linux.

I used to dual boot Linux Mint, and Windows 7, years ago, but I've primarily used MacOS for most of my life.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I use 8.1 on my main/gaming PC, 10 on my file back up PC, 10 on both HTPCs and unRAID on my NAS.

Why 8.1? I hate 10 and 8.1 is more modern than 7.

:mrgreen:
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

pierrot wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Fedora.

I just now found out that Red Hat was discontinued in 2004, and the version I have access to is Red Hat Enterprise. I actually really like Red Hat Enterprise, and didn't know that Fedora was the "consumer" distro. I might have to look into Fedora, or maybe even Scientific Linux.

I used to dual boot Linux Mint, and Windows 7, years ago, but I've primarily used MacOS for most of my life.

As far as I can tell, Scientific Linux is essentially Red Hat/Fedora with additional packages pre-installed. That didn't appeal to me - I prefer cleaner starts where I can add things myself.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I just saw this today. Luckily I wasn't using Mint around this time, but my forum name was compromised:

https://thehackernews.com/2016/02/linux-mint-hack.html
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

o.pwuaioc wrote:I just saw this today. Luckily I wasn't using Mint around this time, but my forum name was compromised:

https://thehackernews.com/2016/02/linux-mint-hack.html

That sucks. I forget when I installed Mint (I could figure it out but I'm too lazy) but I went with MATE over Cinnamon so I wouldn't have been affected anyway. But this is why you should always verify the checksum.

This is why I don't understand people that use cracked versions of MS OSes.