Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

I'd like to build a Gaming PC for next gen, advice?

by Dikdikvandik Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:43 pm

If Consoles are going to try to be PCs next gen I might as well just build my own monster.

It'll be a MAME PC first and foremost but I'll probably play some Modern too.

What do you of the Master Race suggest?
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: I'd like to build a Gaming PC for next gen, advice?

by sevin0seven Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:29 pm

If I were to build a gaming pc today; i would probably get the Ryzen cpu with the ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING motherboard. Then add in 16 GB of DDR4 ram (Don't really need more than that) and of course Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti video card; but there is a newer version which is more expensive but I won't take a dive for that (go with your budget limit). This setup would last me for the next 10-15 years. :mrgreen:

Currently I have the Asus ROG G20CB:

...which I am very happy with. It has a size of a gaming console (about the same as PS4 Pro); nice customs light and should last my modern pc gaming needs for years to come.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
marurun

by marurun Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 pm

ATI’s latest Radeon model (forget the name) is now the premier card for the $250 category and would likely be a great pick.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:57 pm

marurun wrote:ATI’s latest Radeon model (forget the name) is now the premier card for the $250 category and would likely be a great pick.

The RX590 I think?

Don’t forget a Freesync monitor. 1080p. I like a 27” screen. The Acer KG271 Cbmidpx is a 27” 1080p Freesync monitor that has a 144hz refresh rate, a brightness of 400 nits, 1ms response time, and good color accuracy for a TN display.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

by SpikeSlania Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 am

RX 590 is in the $280 range while the GTX 1060 is in the $250 range. Meanwhile RX 580 dropped down to the $220 range and if you don't mind doing some overclocking, can easily run like a RX 590. The 590 does have some advantages like being 12nm instead 14nm and uses less wattage to achieve higher clocks. But I don't see it being worth $60 more. Otherwise the main issue with the GTX 1080 TI, Nvidia stopped making those cards months ago, so supply is running out at suppliers, so you might need to rely on 2nd hand cards on ebay and such. But there is the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 TI, but they're pricey and the 2080 TI is out of stock. Me personally I just bought a RX 580 and in a few years hopefully upgrade to a new AMD GPU or even a Vega if prices come down. But I'm hoping for new GPUs using 7nm and Zen 2.

Edit: For CPUs the all rounder CPUs right now is Ryzen. Just make sure you get a 2nd gen Ryzen which it's easy to tell since they're the 2k series while first gen are 1k. Example: Ryzen 5 1600 is first gen while Ryzen 5 2600 is second gen. Ryzen is also easier to upgrade and swap cpus using the same socket; AM4. But if all you care for is Gaming, Intel's CPU still top Ryzen in Gaming, but that's it, streaming, 3d modeling, and other misc stuff Ryzen beats Intel at while still giving Intel a run for their money in the gaming category. But I would still go Ryzen just for how easy it is to upgrade and swap CPUs without needing to change your motherboard.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, for as nice as Ryzen is as a general product, game performance still favors Intel. There seem to be particular non-gaming cases where they do better as well, like when a program can leverage the integrated GPU for acceleration (certain things in Premiere I think).

'course, Intel has supply chain problems right now.

You'll end up with a nice machine either way.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:13 am

I built my main current rig in 2013 with a few subtle upgrades along the way and it's still doing great, I'm also still on Windows 7. I've been rocking a GTX 1060 since launch and it's been amazing. Heck, my previous card Radeon HD 7950 3 GB was still better than current consoles as well. I'd go the extra mileage if you really want to future proof and go for the 1080 or whatever the affordable next line is. I think the real test for my 1060 is going to be Cyberpunk. I'll be curious to see how the next consoles come out power wise, it might determine where I do some of my gaming again (switched to FPS's for PC). I think 1080p/60FPS should be the standard next gen with everything.

Definitely put the OS on a SSD if possible, it's totally worth it.

Pretty much all games thesedays natively support controllers too, so that's awesome.

Always a bit more of a console guy myself but yeah, having a powerful rig is a nice option to have and Steam sales are crazy.
marurun

by marurun Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Ryzen is a much better pick for the money if you are considering streaming from your PC while you play on it. So if that’s something you’re thinking of, consider Ryzen.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

by SpikeSlania Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:50 pm

So far I have noticed 2 things that consoles do better. Controllers and Online Party Chat. I've used Discord and B.Net party chats and the quality still doesn't match ps4 party chat. Can't have it all :P
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

by Nintendork666 Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:11 am

Dikdikvandik wrote:If Consoles are going to try to be PCs next gen I might as well just build my own monster.

It'll be a MAME PC first and foremost but I'll probably play some Modern too.

What do you of the Master Race suggest?

Check out https://pcpartpicker.com/ to make sure that all of your components work together without any compatibility issues. That's the most important thing.

For a case, I wouldn't go with anything too small, a medium case should be compact enough while still giving you plenty of room for proper ventilation

If you go with an NVIDIA card, get a G-Sync monitor... if you go with AMD... get FreeSync. This will keep your FPS nice and neat. Or be a psychopath like me and hook your PC up to your 2007 Sharp 48" 1080p TV and sit like 2 feet away from it at all times.

Get a controller. I'm a HUGE fan of the Steam controller. It's a divisive pad for sure, but it's great for playing games which aren't designed for controllers on your couch or for late night internet browsing (and typing)... also on the couch. Steam also accepts both PS4/XB1 pads as Steam Controllers if you'd like.

16gb ram should be good enough unless you plan on using your PC for video/photo editing. Remember that a PC can do so much more than just play games. Get an SSD to boot windows/games off of... the larger the better. Don't regret getting a smaller one like I have. Get a MUCH larger HDD for additional storage

That's about all I can think of rn. Most of all have fun, and welcome to the absolute best way to play games imaginable. Don't be surprised if your entire retro collection starts gathering dust as a result.

SpikeSlania wrote:So far I have noticed 2 things that consoles do better. Controllers and Online Party Chat. I've used Discord and B.Net party chats and the quality still doesn't match ps4 party chat. Can't have it all :P

How do you figure? PC can accept pretty much any controller at this point via USB adapters, plus there's always M+KB.

Also PS4 chat better than Discord? What makes you say that? I adore the Discord communities I'm a part of. I guess I don't really do group voice chat in any of them... but I don't really need to either. In-game chat has never given me any issue.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
Return to Personal Computers