Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Playing PC games from 80s to 2008

by isiolia Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Sort of depends on the hardware for one. More recent hardware may not have XP drivers. Similarly, more narrowly focused hardware may not (there were laptops not long after Vista released with no XP drivers for audio, things like that). Some longer than you'd think though - nVidia didn't drop XP from driver support until driver versions supporting the 1000 series cards. So if you're still using a 970 or something it could work.

Some of it you might just need to be extra prepared for XP on, or leave things in very generic modes. The latter might end up limiting you in whatever newer OSes you have (like leaving SATA controllers in IDE mode instead of AHCI), but I think in other cases it could adapt. Intel's newer USB 3.0 controllers can, I think, just work as USB 2.0 in XP and Vista if set properly in the BIOS, where they are otherwise unsupported.

Most actual risks would likely come up more with putting XP online than actually dual booting.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Hmm bookmarked that first link. Downloading VMware at the moment, heard of it over the years more than VirtualBox, but looking at that too.

I just would like to virtual install XP to a little space, generic as hell if necessary, don't care to make it network ready as that's a problem kind of waiting ot happen. My kids acer aspire I did a LOT of research on and found there is one modern web browser maxthon that works and is safe, and avast still has XP support too. It can be locked down if necessary but that's as far back as they stretch, not into the 9X-ME range age.

It's all about minimalist. If it can fire up a few stupid CDs/disks I still have that won't play nice with dosbox I'm happy. I'd likely use it very little anyway, just more for fun when the time pops up or I find some old game at a thrift shop to test it out too before keeping or selling it.

This seems easy - setting it up now.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:06 am

VMWare doesn't seem to work right. Giving XP more than it even needs, it crawls like a tech center nightmare with 50 flavors of malware going in the background. Erasing it, will try virtual box I guess. Gave XP 2GB of ram, 512 for video, 2 processors (up from 512/512/1) and it did nothing for it really.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

by Nintendork666 Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:27 am

I don't see any benefit of using a physical copy of a pc game over something on Steam, UPLay, GOG, etc. For me personally. I already own too many Steam games as is.

If I can't find it on those storefronts, then it wasn't meant to be.
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
Return to Personal Computers