Microsoft Return of Arcade Anniversary Edition

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Microsoft Return of Arcade Anniversary Edition

Post by Tanooki »

Back in the 90s there was the old MS Arcade line. I had never heard of this until yesterday, but the 2nd one Return of Arcade apparently got reissued in 2000 for the Pac-Man anniversary. I can't seem to find an answer using google so far, but anyone here own this or ever did own or use it?

I'm trying to find out since it came out AFTER Revenge of Arcade (the Ms. Pacman, Xevious, etc) package if it is built the same way so that it can not only install but play on 64bit windows. The non-anniversary edition will not, just like the much older (WinG) MS Arcade which had atari stuff on there like centipede.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Microsoft Return of Arcade Anniversary Edition

Post by noiseredux »

Do you have a picture of the release you're looking for? I might actually have a copy in a box in my basement.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

noiseredux wrote:Do you have a picture of the release you're looking for? I might actually have a copy in a box in my basement.

That's the way to tell the diff from the old, the splash up top and ms-pac man on the front there since they added her in as an extra game for the re-release.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hmm. It doesn't look familiar to me, but it's been a long time. I'll try to remember to check over the weekend.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I vaguely remember the Microsoft Arcade series though I never saw the revised version that included MS Pacman. If I remember correctly, Mame a much better emulator vs the Microsoft releases with all the video and controller options. Is there anything unique to the Microsoft version?

Speaking of commercial release emulators, I like the Williams Arcade Classics DOS release. An earlier discovery when Mame was in its infamacy. A full install and runs just fine in DOS box.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I don't think there was anything special about it.

I owned in the day the original trio. The original were atari games in WIn3.x format but also worked in Win9X too. The Revenge and Return were made for 9x, but Revenge was the only one with a 32bit installer/executable so that one still runs on any 64bit windows. Return original was 9X/XP but once they got to Vista it was testy and when 64bit came over it choked and MS Arcade had been a loss since XP came out.

The old MS Arcade (Atari stuff) were recreations but almost spot on accurate enough you'd have to know the game competitively well to see why it's not right more or less. The two Namco bundles (Revenge and Return) those are emulators. For example in Revenge Ms PacMan lets you set lives and 1up (bonus) scoring matching the original dip switches and when it boots it does the whole grid/test code to start before firing up. Xevious, Mappy, and Moto all have that, but also adds the dipswitch for difficulty level.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

To break it up, that Williams package for DOS was solid.

Now it's very hard to track down now due to the fact the name was stolen and reused by a modern creation by Farsight Studios. But long before there was 'Pinball Arcade' by them or their PB Hall of Fame stuff before that, Williams/Encore(budget ware guys) put out a jewel case release with William's Pinball Arcade. It had 4 solid tables on there, the ROM emulated, and the table simulated in pretty high resolution for the time. It has Creature of the Black Lagoon, Lost World, Black Rose, and one other I'm forgetting right now. I used to have that on disc but no longer. It absolutely would not run in anything 64bit, though there was a patch that kind of worked, but then really loathed Win8+10 64bit and i ended up pitching it. Something to really look out for if you can find it, and figure out how to get it to run stable.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I might have that pinball release too haha. I gotta dig in my basement
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well let me know how that works out for you, it's the most solid trying to mimic original table works made up until Pinball Arcade dropped.

Oh and by the way, I just rediscovered I have the 3 floppy Win95 release of ROA in a box here. It won't install, but the disks can be picked up still and copied so I know they're good. I found an complete boxed up iomega floppy usb drive today for $3 at a thrift so I went looking for test stuff.