PlayStation Now is officially on PC right... now!

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

PlayStation Now is officially on PC right... now!

Post by noiseredux »

I've been talking about this in the RGT thread, but it's here!

http://kotaku.com/sony-s-playstation-no ... 1785943727

I'm surprised it hit so soon as the PS4 dongle isn't even out yet.

There's a free week trial, so I'll be giving it a go right away. This is perfect timing for September's TR actually as Street Fighter III 3rd Strike is on PSNow, and was never ported to PC.

Subscription breakdown is $20/mo, $45/3-month, $99/yr. I believe you can also skip the subscription and "rent" games as you wish.

EDIT: Amazon just updated my DS4 dongle shipping estimate from 9/19 to 9/6.

I'll need to get a DS4 controller though still haha. Anyone have an extra?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation Now is officially on PC right... now!

Post by Sarge »

I find the service interesting, but I don't have the pipes to pull it off, so it's a no-go for me. Plus, I still like my physical ownership. I could see this as an excellent sort of rental service, though, a way to sample some games that I'd eventually buy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I know that I'm probably just the exact target market for this service, so I'm glad to test it out and let y'all know how it goes. Not sure if I'll start the free trial right now, or wait til I can get the DS4 to do it "right." (I actually haven't been able to confirm that you can even use another controller besides DS4 or not?)

EDIT: Holy shit they added Heavy Rain this week! Seriously, this service is looking really perfect for me haha. Fuck it, maybe I'll just pick up a DS4 on the way home and use it wired for now!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Why not just buy a PS3 and hook it up to the same monitor? Everything I've heard about the lag from this service is not at all positive, let alone the limited selection of titles and the need to buy the dongle, etc. The cost for a year's subscription + a DS4 + the dongle = $185 + tax

You could buy a PS3 and Heavy Rain and probably another dozen games or so for much less than what all of that would cost you...and they'd run perfectly, in higher resolution, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

thanks Dave I hadn't done the math.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:thanks Dave I hadn't done the math.

you also didn't answer the question :twisted:

if you want to give it a go, more power to ya - I am just trying to understand the appeal...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the appeal is that I decided a while back to sell all my console stuff and go PC only. It's interesting to me that a console publisher would try an experiment like this to bring console games to PC in a Netflix-like way. I'm not 100% happy with the pricing model, but I am fascinated with the concept and as a PC-only gamer, am interested and excited to play with such a new service and see how viable it is.

If I really wanted to I could just pull the PS3 out of my closet that's been there for a couple of years but have been too lazy to sell. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Heavy Rain around as well still. That's not the point. The point is that I've long dreamed of "one box to rule them all," and Sony bringing this service to PC is an interesting turn of events that I'm excited to test.

(I probably should have just started this thread last week when we first started talking about it in the Random Gaming Thoughts thread and I already kind of said all this stuff...)
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:(I actually haven't been able to confirm that you can even use another controller besides DS4 or not?)

Everything I've seen regarding the PC App has specified a DS4 (such as their controller guide). Other devices, like TVs and Blu-ray players, list DS3 support. I assume Sony has an official DS4 driver is all. Practically speaking, DS3/4 (and Wiimotes) just use Bluetooth anyway, so it's kind of odd that they need an "official" dongle like that.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

isiolia wrote:
noiseredux wrote:(I actually haven't been able to confirm that you can even use another controller besides DS4 or not?)

Everything I've seen regarding the PC App has specified a DS4 (such as their controller guide). Other devices, like TVs and Blu-ray players, list DS3 support. I assume Sony has an official DS4 driver is all. Practically speaking, DS3/4 (and Wiimotes) just use Bluetooth anyway, so it's kind of odd that they need an "official" dongle like that.

Money. ;)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

noiseredux wrote:the appeal is that I decided a while back to sell all my console stuff and go PC only. It's interesting to me that a console publisher would try an experiment like this to bring console games to PC in a Netflix-like way. I'm not 100% happy with the pricing model, but I am fascinated with the concept and as a PC-only gamer, am interested and excited to play with such a new service and see how viable it is.

If I really wanted to I could just pull the PS3 out of my closet that's been there for a couple of years but have been too lazy to sell. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Heavy Rain around as well still. That's not the point. The point is that I've long dreamed of "one box to rule them all," and Sony bringing this service to PC is an interesting turn of events that I'm excited to test.

(I probably should have just started this thread last week when we first started talking about it in the Random Gaming Thoughts thread and I already kind of said all this stuff...)

I think you're doing it right - plus if you avoid a long term commitment, maybe they pop a sale or something and you end up paying $50 for a year.