The Turok 1 & 2 Remastered Thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
marurun

Re: Turok re-released with updated visuals and whatnot!

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:I didn't grow up with an N64, and without those rose-colored lenses, I'm not seeing $20 of fun.

So you never played Turok? Watch the video link I posted in the OP, you tell me then if you don't think it's a $20 game. Let me know if I have rose tinted glasses on.

I watched the video. Meh. Was probably pretty good for the N64, but I did all my FPSing on PC. Consoles were for RPGs, shooters, and platformers. Not worth MY $20. Maybe yours, but not mine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I found the fog option. It's called "extended draw distance," and it's ON by default. It's it's the gameplay options menu, I thought it would have been in the graphics options menu.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I only briefly played a bit of both back in the day, I remember the cool weapons.

Assuming the campaign's are a good 10-15 hours?

Looks worth $20 to me. I love how it looks so much like Unreal.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Unless my memory is off, easily over a dozen hours especially if you've never done it before as it with the fog there on N64 kind of makes you want to go slow so you don't get your face eaten off by a pissed off dinosaur or to run off some cliff. The areas in it were fairly well sized so it's not some DOOM like series of mostly tight chambers and corridors one after another.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Definitely 10-15 hours if you've never played it before. HowLongToBeat says about 13 hours. I guess it depends on your play style (Solid Snake or Rambo).

I'm toward the end of the final level right now, been playing on medium difficulty, and I'm at 9 hours 45 minutes. On one hand, I'm searching every nook and cranny and not trying to set a time record. But on the other hand, I'm pretty familiar with the levels (especially the first 3) so I guess I'm blowing through them pretty fast.

You definitely have to turn the extended draw distance option off. Playing with it on is like having an extra easy difficulty setting. The game is very much like Doom, but Tanooki is right, it's not tight corridors and chambers one after the other. There ARE some areas like that, but there's also a lot of huge open outdoor areas to explore. When you have the fog off, and you come upon an open area, you can see too far and sort of snipe off enemies in the distance instead of coming upon them naturally.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

GoG released an update, but it looks like it only fixes GoG achievements. I was already on the last level, now the achievements work properly. Oh well, I guess I'll have to play through the game again. :lol:

So I was reading on the GoG forums that Night Dive has already put out multiple patches to address customer feedback. Steam gets these updates almost instantly, but GoG has a process that patches need to go through, and they're currently on holiday, so it looks like GoG users will have to wait.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The problem GOG has with regards to patching is they need to support their standalone installers. So there's an additional step that they have to be able to package it into a standalone executable which includes safety checks that you're installing patches in the right order. Steam is just incredibly streamlined because everything is just streamed off their servers.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Truly the one big draw back to GoG, delays for fixes and you get installer patches as they don't recompile the original installer. Steam just fires up when you put a password in and it auto corrects things.

I saw this studio has done some other good games too, was sad to find one of them didn't make it to GoG at all -- Strife.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

GoG Galaxy makes the updating a LOT easier. You don't have to mess around with installers or nothing, and you can roll back updates too. Doesn't help their roll out time, but yeah.

Speaking of Galaxy and Turok... Turok has achievements in Galaxy, which is kinda neat, but there's currently no way to view what possible achievements are. You can only view an achievement after you've earned it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

GOG has achievements now?

Also, I didn't play much of the first Turok, but Turok 2 was great...except for the fog on PC, because it was too much. If the draw distance had been twice the size, it would have been great, but it felt more like stuff kept popping up right in front of me.