The Turok 1 & 2 Remastered Thread

Post by Ziggy »

http://www.gog.com/game/turok

http://store.steampowered.com/app/405820/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40583 ... _151_150_1

https://www.gog.com/game/turok_2_seeds_of_evil

UPDATE! Turok 2 released: viewtopic.php?p=1088752#p1088752

Original post:

I guess I missed the announcement of this release back in August, but I was very happy to see it up on GoG. It looks FANTASTIC, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDu0CTSR8Dw

I was really surprised to see people giving this release so much shit on GoG. There's a ton of reviews and forum posts about how the price is waaaaay too high... As if they don't even realize that it's been IMPROVED. Then there's a few people saying things like it's a poorly aged FPS... It's Good OLD Games for crying out loud! I just don't understand people.

Well I for one was very happy to see this get done. I find it to be still playable on the N64, if you can tolerate N64 graphics. But I can't get my (old) PC copy to work. So playing in 1080p60 widescreen is just a huge bonus.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the removal of the fog though. I understand that the heavy fog was added because of N64 limitation, but you have to admit, the fog did something to that game. It made the atmosphere creepy. It would have been nice to have a slider option to adjust your desired amount of fog. Maybe we'll get that in an update. It seems that the team behind this re-release actually listens to feedback and release updates when there's demands for them.

I heard Turok 2 is next. I'll definitely grab that one when it's released too.
Last edited by Ziggy on Sat May 20, 2017 11:32 am, edited 8 times in total.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Turok re-released with updated visuals and whatnot!

Post by TSTR »

I heard it did have an option to turn the fog on or off.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

TSTR wrote:I heard it did have an option to turn the fog on or off.

There's a couple of option to turn new effects off, like water reflection, but I don't see anything for fog.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Nice to see it has the music from the n64 version! As I recall, the original pc release did not have the 64 music.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I still have it on n64 and used it lately. In all fairness the fog being cut is a problem. Yes n64 needed it but being a game in a jungle and swamp environment it made sense to be there more than not. I hope there is an option for it. I don't own it on pc yet as $20 is too much when I already have it but when its at least half off on gog I'll snapcit up.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Honestly, who wants fog occluding the game, especially in an FPS. I am excited for it, but will wait.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Not sure how I feel about a $20 price tag. Perhaps $15 would be more appropriate. So I guess that means I'm part of the problem ; )
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

marurun wrote:Not sure how I feel about a $20 price tag. Perhaps $15 would be more appropriate. So I guess that means I'm part of the problem ; )

It's on sale for $15.99, your move :lol:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Hazerd wrote:
marurun wrote:Not sure how I feel about a $20 price tag. Perhaps $15 would be more appropriate. So I guess that means I'm part of the problem ; )

It's on sale for $15.99, your move :lol:

That $0.99 could get him a Kit-Kat bar or a Whatchamacallit. I'd definitely go for the latter.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Tanooki wrote:I don't own it on pc yet as $20 is too much when I already have it but when its at least half off on gog I'll snapcit up.

Honestly, I don't understand how any can feel like $20 is too much for this game. You're looking at it wrong if you think you're paying $20 for a 20 year old game. A team of people took the PC game, improved it significantly, and made it so it can run on modern machines. This isn't just a re-release of the same game sold in 1997. Work was put into it, and those people have to be paid.

PS, it's $15.99 on sale on GoG right now, if that helps. :D

Tanooki wrote:In all fairness the fog being cut is a problem. Yes n64 needed it but being a game in a jungle and swamp environment it made sense to be there more than not. I hope there is an option for it.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Honestly, who wants fog occluding the game, especially in an FPS. I am excited for it, but will wait.

I think the fog has to be there. They didn't build the entire game and then go, "Oh shit, it wont run on the hardware, add fog to compensate." You really get the feeling that they had the fog idea first, and they built the levels as such. The fog really adds to the atmosphere.

The game looks GORGEOUS as is, it really does. But I miss the fog. I just checked, no, there's no fog option. But from what I've read, if us fans put up a big enough stink, they could release a patch to add fog back in. I miss the fog, but its absence isn't stopping me any from enjoying the game.