Will Windows 8 be the death of PC gaming?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: Will Windows 8 be the death of PC gaming?

Post by casterofdreams »

MrPopo wrote:Interesting statistic from Steam's hardware survey

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Top 10 OS's and their percentage
  • Windows 7 64 bit - 54.18%
  • Windows 7 - 13.39%
  • Windows 8 64 bit - 10.86%
  • Windows XP 32 bit - 8.25%
  • Windows Vista 64 bit - 4.45%
  • Windows Vista 32 bit - 2.61%
  • MacOS 10.8.3 64 bit - 1.56%
  • Windows 8 - 0.79%
  • MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit - 0.74%
  • MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit - 0.61%

I feel that if you are going to build a rig for games you'd build it using a newer OS. 64-bit takes advantage of all that RAM and certain OS trims take advantage of Multiple Cores and CPUs.

I can only see someone using Windows XP for a specific purpose when it comes to building a new PC.

In any event I still have a copy of Windows XP Pro for the old PCs I run into and want to restore them to tip top shape in both software and hardware. I feel I would never build a rig using Windows 8 unless monitors with touch support becomes the norm in price and availability.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I don't understand all the hate against Windows 8. Get rid of the Metro shite and use a start menu replacement such as Start Menu 8 by IObit and it's the same foundation that Windows 7 provided with a whole slew of improvements. Better task manager, better file transfers, ridiculously quick boot time (noticeably quicker even with an SSD), near instant wake from sleep, PAUSING FILE TRANSFERS!! (plus bonus graph to see how transmission speed changes over time if you like that sort of thing), grouping of transfers into the same window (OS X style) easier to use explorer, nicer looking clean windows without any of that transparency bullshit, Native taskbar support for multiple monitors (no more having to install extra software to do shit that should be native), native ISO mounting (just double click that shit, motherfucker!), Hyper-V (virtualisations out of the box), storage pool (think of it like a virtual RAID except not as restrictive but not as powerful as well, allows you to group all your disks into one big drive) oh yeah and not to mention the restore and reset options allowing you to essentially make an image of your windows set up (combine that with junction points for your user profile) and you have a ghost image of your windows installation to restore to should anything go tits up or you get infected or some other catastrophic software failure.

If that's not worth the (rediculously cheap) price of admission I don't know what is. Best Windows OS yet (as long as you ignore the metro rubbish).
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
sonic2041
24-bit

Post by sonic2041 »

Niode wrote:I don't understand all the hate against Windows 8. Get rid of the Metro shite and use a start menu replacement such as Start Menu 8 by IObit and it's the same foundation that Windows 7 provided with a whole slew of improvements. Better task manager, better file transfers, ridiculously quick boot time (noticeably quicker even with an SSD), near instant wake from sleep, PAUSING FILE TRANSFERS!! (plus bonus graph to see how transmission speed changes over time if you like that sort of thing), grouping of transfers into the same window (OS X style) easier to use explorer, nicer looking clean windows without any of that transparency bullshit, Native taskbar support for multiple monitors (no more having to install extra software to do shit that should be native), native ISO mounting (just double click that shit, motherfucker!), Hyper-V (virtualisations out of the box), storage pool (think of it like a virtual RAID except not as restrictive but not as powerful as well, allows you to group all your disks into one big drive) oh yeah and not to mention the restore and reset options allowing you to essentially make an image of your windows set up (combine that with junction points for your user profile) and you have a ghost image of your windows installation to restore to should anything go tits up or you get infected or some other catastrophic software failure.

If that's not worth the (rediculously cheap) price of admission I don't know what is. Best Windows OS yet (as long as you ignore the metro rubbish).

This right here is the reason Windows 8 is the best Windows OS available. Its not just for touch, there are plenty of improvements over 7. Personally I like the new start screen, I find it faster to use than the start menu. But if you can't stand it or can't figure it out, there are options to change things.

As for the original topic, I just think Valve is afraid they might have some competition. It would be different if Windows 8 prevented you from installing Steam or other third party apps. And I don't think Microsoft would be allowed to change that for Windows 9 either, without the FTC and EU coming after them.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I just removed 8 and put 7 on my new laptop. Ain't havin none of that shit. :lol:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Windows 8 is fantastic but as a user who had the Consumer Preview and RTM build running on a non-touch laptop and a proud owner of a Surface, it's an OS where touch is its primary focus.

They should have had two builds, one for touch and one for traditional PC experiences. In fact I can do better than that, have one OS but have it where you can toggle between W8 style and look as seen today and W7 style and look. As the market goes towards these tablet products MS can go full Metro UI for W9.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

To continue the discussion, Windows 8 really isn't the end of PC gaming, but what it is, is a sign of technological transitioning. People want small and portable. They want universality. They want their phone, computer, gaming system, MP3 Player, Camera/Video all in one thing. Windows 8 seems to be the start of catering to that mindset.

It isn't the end though, because it still can do all the things a normal Windows 7 OS can do, you just have to figure out how to do it, but by that fact alone, that you have to rework your OS to make it the way you want, shows that Microsoft's intention is to integrate that "all-in-one" direction, which in the end would be the death of traditional PC gaming as we understand it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

casterofdreams wrote:Windows 8 is fantastic but as a user who had the Consumer Preview and RTM build running on a non-touch laptop and a proud owner of a Surface, it's an OS where touch is its primary focus.

They should have had two builds, one for touch and one for traditional PC experiences. In fact I can do better than that, have one OS but have it where you can toggle between W8 style and look as seen today and W7 style and look. As the market goes towards these tablet products MS can go full Metro UI for W9.

This is already possible. It's been literally months since I even looked at the metro/Start screen.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Niode wrote:This is already possible. It's been literally months since I even looked at the metro/Start screen.

I probably should do that and look at the start replacement option. The only reason I ever used Metro was for some of the games.

The frustrating thing for me has been the swipe from left on laptop touchpad. It would bring up the metro screen because my hand drifted too far to the right. I probably should just disable that.

It's an annoyance of my laptop that the track pad is centered below the key pad but it's left of center of the computer due to the number pad on the right. My hand tends to gravitate toward the center of the computer when it's on my lap.

I guess in the future, I'll never buy a laptop with a separate number pad.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Niode wrote:This is already possible. It's been literally months since I even looked at the metro/Start screen.

This water thin argument about Windows 8 annoys me to no end, I bought it not long after it came out and NEVER use Metro. Ever.

It is so easy to disable and replace with a Start Menu (or without one if you don't want one), Windows 8 feels and operates like Windows 7, just more streamlined (don't need to waste any resources on on Aero) and with a lot of very functional features added. Not to mention it is by far the cheapest OS I have ever purchased, even when I was a full time student.

Niode has pointed out most of my feelings on the OS already.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

emwearz wrote:

This water thin argument about Windows 8 annoys me to no end, I bought it not long after it came out and NEVER use Metro. Ever.

And even if you never want to use any of the Modern apps you can still just use the Start Screen for your old school apps, which is how I use it at work. Win key, quickly click the one I want or type part of it's name and hit enter.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.