You gotta try this new game. It's called Minecraft.

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Ack

Re: You gotta try this new game. It's called Minecraft.

Post by Ack »

Yes, learn to build ladders. Then you can rip a hole in the side of the planet.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Aww damnit, I thought glass was glass too. Yesterday I hollowed out my entire ground floor level 'mountain' home all the way around it almost completely other than the wall the corridor to my mine is at and put glass blocks all around it.

I do know ladders. So I got creative and tunneled straight up to the very top of my mountain short a block or two as it's lumpy with a tree (that has higher up my little lit tower on it) and made an eagle's nest to look around 360 on the map again with glass.

My tunnel I bottomed it out last night. I hit a few problems that cost me which ticked me off. I got so low I hit a lava flow into a very open area. Kind of edged around it a bit lower (5-6 blocks) and found what I think are diamonds. I tried to mine it, but nothing appeared. Went into the lava flow area, and in there I found some gold, also didn't mine. I ran out of pick axes but I created a thin bridge over a lava barrier (so I can easy remove if something nasty pops up as a natural barrier) and in the distance I saw redstone dust finally. Never seen that or diamond in a game before. About 2/3 down from there found another corridor which had some nasties in it that barely went to the right, so I checked then walled it off with spare dirt, but to the left it goes and goes into blackness with a partial river in it. I walled it off temporarily because I don't need any spider bites or worse.

I need to figure out what I need to make so my dumb pick axe wont ruin high dollar ores.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hey dudes, when it comes to Minecraft THIS is the thread to bump cuz of that title.

I have a question(s) for Miner aficionados... I currently own "Minecraft: The Xbox One Edition" in digital form. So that's the base game. Owning it also netted me a digital copy of just "Minecraft" (which is the newer Play Together Update version). After doing some digging, it turns out that these are two different 'games' with two different UI's. Incidentally, it seems that the original Xbox One Edition is actually preferred by most if you're playing on console since it was built for a controller.

Having said that, it gets a bit more confusing as there are numerous physical releases of Minecraft on Xbox One (including another coming in May of this year). So my question is: do any of these physical editions offer extras on-disc that I wouldn't have in the digital base game?

I'm probably even more curious if there's any physical iteration of The Xbox One Edition version that has extra stuff on disc that'd be worth grabbing while copies are still plentiful and it hasn't been fully phased out for the Play Together version.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I don't believe there is a difference between the physical versus digital copies. The only thing I could think that would be added is some skin packs, but I am pretty sure that is not the case. Also! If you bought a physical edition of minecraft, you no longer are elligable for the free download of the better together update. The cutoff date was January 30th.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I already have the BTU digitally though.

I see that at least one of the physical copies of "Xbox One Edition" includes the Favorite Pack. What's that? EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I do have that.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

noiseredux wrote:yeah I already have the BTU digitally though.

I see that at least one of the physical copies of "Xbox One Edition" includes the Favorite Pack. What's that?

The favorite pack includes...

• Battle & Beasts Skin Pack
• Battle & Beasts 2 Skin Pack
• Natural Texture Pack
• City Texture Pack
• Fantasy Texture Pack
• Festive Mash-up
• Halo Mash-up

So some texture and skin packs, plus two maps that are Christmas and halo themed.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I think I do have that stuff then.

I think that the Explorer's Pack version of PTU physical edition has some skins I don't have. Maybe. Haha. Confusing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've had a week that could really use some chill, so I went ahead and picked up a copy of Minecraft on Switch. I had some rewards certificates so managed to snag it for $14 brand new. It's been a while since I've played any Minecraft, but the idea of just loading up a Peaceful mode and just kind of doing 'nothing' sounded very appealing. So here we are. As usual I feel like I have to say "OMG this game is awesome on Switch." I played a couple of hours in handheld mode so I could sit with my wife while she was watching TV.

The first thing that really blew my mind was just how all-in Nintendo and Minecraft have gone on being buddies. It was really an odd moment when I logged into my Xbox account on a piece of Nintendo hardware. And seeing options for a Mario Bros. template in the same game as some Halo skins was really interesting. And it makes me really happy. We can reminisce all day about how fun the console wars were in the 90's, but ultimately I'm way more intrigued about console partnerships. Or at at least co-existence.

When my world (Pandora... I was between that and LV-426, but the latter seemed way more hostile than the chill vibe I was going for) there was a moment where the draw distance felt super short and I was worried for a moment. But then the game finished loading up and the world was vast and bright. That blue sky looks so lush on the Switch's screen.

As I said, it's been a while since I've played Minecraft, so I pulled out my Essentials book to remind me of some recipes. I went scouting for a good place to start and changed my mind a few times. Eventually I stumbled upon an area with a mouth leading into some caverns so I figured what the heck. I built a crafting table above it and cleared out some trees to make room for an eventual home base. Of course this is Peaceful mode so I don't have to worry about being attacked. But still, building a home is fun busy work. I'll save that for later, though. I built a few tools and starting collecting some materials to build an oven. Then I made some torches and started to go down into the caverns.

At this point I have no clear objectives. I just felt like playing. I'm torn on trying out a Mario themed world, but that will shut off the crossplay possibility. Not that I even know anyone else playing on any platform right now anyway, haha. But still, for now I'll probably just chill in Pandora. I don't really know what my plan is. I have no real goal in mind. So we'll just see how it goes.

Still, the first demo or whatever you want to call it of Minecraft was released nearly ten years ago and it's astounding to me that this game is still so ubiquitous with gaming. I suppose in 2018 that Fortnite has taken over, but I mean Minecraft isn't even on my list of favorite games and yet I've owned it on at least four different platforms now so that says something I guess. And it's also amazing that this game keeps evolving nearly a decade later. I guess I find Minecraft more interesting than anything else. I guess we'll see how it goes on this playthrough depending how long I need a totally peaceful chill game to play.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

I actually just fired up minecraft on switch the other day. Man a lot has changed and I am digging it as always. I just want to build villages and cities and roads and write books in it like a doofus, but it is what I enjoy doing.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's a good way to put it with minecraft, it's interesting.

I got on to buying it much later than probably most (2014.) I go where I'll use it for a little here and there, then erase it for a year or two. I haven't played it in easy mode where you can't get wrecked, probably should, but I find it more interesting having to beat the clock and then hole up somewhere so I don't get eaten.

I do have one of those essential books just so I have some of the basics, but it really lacks what more comprehensive stuff has going for it, or the one big merged box of all those books. I think perhaps I have bad luck in the random generation of the thing because I've never yet found redstone in the game which kind of limits you a lot to basically pre-electric level construction. I recall you have to dig down so far to even try and find it, and I've done this enough times, so maybe that's why I get tired. It's relaxing, for the most part which is nice, but after awhile I just can't figure out why I keep playing and stop. When it is fun though, it's like going back to zone out on the original Sim City Classic as it's easy just to let things go on that too.