A free PC game every few days

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
J T
Next-Gen

Re: A free PC game every few days

Post by J T »

Sp.A.I.
(Size: 215 MB, though about 3x that after install)

Sp.A.I. is set in a Tron-like world where you are inside a computer and trying to hack into the system by decrypting files and avoiding firewall protections. This is played out largely by having to avoid lasers and by sorting blocks in logic puzzles. The graphical style is fantastic and it's a fun mix of 3rd person 3D platformer and logical puzzle game.

Gameplay Trailer
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

fastbilly1 wrote:Two dead MMOs revived for yall
Hellgate London will be free to play soon:
http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Gameinfo/Gameinfo.aspx

Hellgate London was a flawed experience, but still a pretty decent implementation of a fantastic ideia: 1st person Diablo (or "3rd person viewed from behind" depending on your style of play and class).

I played Single player only, but if anyone here (particularly Europeans= would be up for it, I really wouldn't mind playing again.

I had good fun playing the respective "FPS" classes (Cabalist: Evoker and Hunter: Marksman) as well as one of the "Tanks" (Templars).
I still want to try playing the classes with minions (Cabalist: Summoner and Hunter: Engineer) - I think they had a bit of problems back then but maybe with some patches now it would be good to play.

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Vanguard Princess
(Size: 743 MB)

Vanguard Princess is impressive in every way. The graphics are fantastic with carefully detailed sprite work and excellent animations. The sound is great and includes voicework. And most importantly, it is a hell of a lot of fun with plenty of depth to keep you going. Oh yeah, and sexy anime babes, if that's your thing.

The fighting is fast with a lot of stuff going on at one time. Most of the moves are fairly easy to execute with standard SFII-style input commands. They lend nicely to chaining combos as well. Additionally, you have a side character that can help you fight from the sidelines, which adds a unique element to the game. All the side characters are little girls that run around in the background and can be pulled into the battle to aid in building combos.

If you only play one doujin fighting game, this should be it.

This game has been posted about on Racketboy in the past, but at the time it wouldn't just run on an English system. You had to add all this stuff to get your PC to understand the Japanese text. I remember I tried to do it awhile back and I put all this language changing software on my PC and for a brief second I almost got stuck in a Japanese setting where I couldn't read anything and I was scared I wouldn't be able to figure out how to turn it back to English. Thankfully, someone else has now taken care of that now and released this US Patched version of the game so you can just unpack the files and run the game without any worries. The patched version also includes LunaPort.exe, which makes it so you can play the game online. The image link above will lead you to a download for the patched version. You will need to change the file extension from '.exez' to '.exe' to run it.

Normally this thread on Shoryuken has extensive info about this game, but it appears to be down today. Though it was working yesterday, so I'm not sure what is up.

J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Neverdaunt 8bit

I have played it, but I'm not sure I know what Neverdaunt 8bit is. I think it is safe to say that it is a video game. Exploding fish are involved. It has a blocky oldschool 3D graphic style. It's pretty hyper and strange with GUI smattered everywhere. You have the abilities to construct and destruct the world around you. It's multiplayer. Everything in the N8 world is user generated. It's sort of like the ADHD cousin of Minecraft. It was a finalist in the IGF Awards, so it's recognized for being a good indie game. It's just so loose, open ended and strange, that it's a bit hard to define beyond that. I guess it's something you just have to experience to understand. Give it a look.

Trailer Video (with music by FantomenK)
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:Had to show you guys this.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003606

And a few comics later: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003611

:P

That's silly. We all know Barkley is the only man capable of executing a Chaos Dunk.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

J T wrote:
YoshiEgg25 wrote:Had to show you guys this.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003606

And a few comics later: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003611

:P

That's silly. We all know Barkley is the only man capable of executing a Chaos Dunk.

That's why the next comic said "You gently CHAOS DUNK the fragile bunny back in the box and captchalogue it."

John Egbert just couldn't handle the power. :P
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Frogatto
(Size 175 MB)
Mac, PC, Linux, and iPhone versions available

This is a great little platformer adventure game. You are Frogatto, a lazy and jobless frog that is trying to do right by his housemates by going and and earning a little extra cash. The game has delightful retro graphics as well as spot on retro platforming controls. Frogatto is a little bit like Yoshi in that he can use his tongue to swallow enemies, then spit them out as projectiles. He can also stomp on enemies, but this only does damage if they have been turned upside down by spitting them out first. It's a cute game and a fun game. If you like 2D platformers, definitely give this one a try.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Eternally Us

Eternally Us is a point & click adventure created in AGS. It won a few awards in the 2010 AGS awards including Best Dialogue and Best Short Game.

The game takes maybe 15 minutes to complete and if you're going to play it, you really should stick it out until the end because there's a very interesting ending (I won't spoil it) that takes everything you've played through and makes you see it through a new lense.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Harmony

As FPS games have become more popular and evolved into the big budget story-driven productions they are now, do you ever find yourself now oddly missing the old fashioned Doom clones that used to overpopulate the market? If so, then Harmony is the game for you. It's created using the Doom engine and it has that old school flavor- high speed action, labyrinthine level design, tons of secret locations. This game is a really fun throwback to the FPS games of old.

I also got a kick out of how they created their character models. The characters were sculpted in clay and then turned into sprites. You can see the original clay sculptures here.

Harmony Wiki Page