A free PC game every few days

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Re: A free PC game every few days

Post by AmishSamurai »

http://liberatedgames.org/gamelisting.php

A compilation of pc games that have been made freeware. Pretty sure you need DOSbox for a good portion of them. Maybe SCUMMVM for the adventure games (I saw Beneath a Steel Sky in there)
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Real Race
(Size: 44MB)

Since the last game I posted was rather dark, I thought I would post something a little friendlier this time. Real Race is a fun little top-down racer. We don't see too many racing games with this perspective anymore, but it used to be more popular back in the days of RC Pro Am and Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road.

There are a bunch of unlockables in this game, but they didn't seem to be unlocking for me, so I just edited my profile file with this link to unlock everything:
http://www.gamewinners.com/Cheats/index.php/Real_Race
Last edited by J T on Fri May 13, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

J T wrote:Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles

You might have heard of this one before. In 2007 it was released on the GP2X handheld and in 2008 it was released on the Sega Dreamcast. Now it is freely available on the PC!

Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles is a color matching puzzle game that ultimately has you doing battle in a Puzzle Fighter-style way. It has some lovingly crafted sprite artwork and is fun to play. Its retro charm gives it an edge over other color matching puzzle games.
A very good game get it!
J T wrote:This thread is like my other thread about "a new browser game every few days". Basically, the idea is to have a thread that isn't just a big fat list of games. Instead, one game is posted at a time with a few days for people to talk about it, kind of like "together retro", but for indie games.

If you want to add a game to the thread, please do, but try to keep the new game posts spaced at least two or three days apart from the previous one.

Maybe change the OP title to include free Mac games? I discovered a good one that is for the PC and Mac, I'll wait the two days you requested before posting.

Also for anyone posting a legit freeware game, maybe include the download link? Preferably from the original author's site.

Here is Wind and Water, a nice site with chinese music and video from JT's pick!
http://www.wind-water.net/
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Grid Wars 2
PC and Mac FREEWARE

Okay now where did I see this game before? Geometry Wars! The game that is inspired by Robotron clone with an Asteroids Vector theme! I was envious that XBox and Wii owners got to play this game. Now I can play it on the PC and Mac. :mrgreen:

I have an older iMac CRT, so at first I could not get the game to work. Looked into the Config.txt file and the resolution was high and not supported by my vintage iMac. Try 1920×1200 if you have a decent computer.

An east Text Edit of the screen setting:

[Playfield Width]
[Playfield Height]
[Screen Width]
[Screen Height]

A great Twin Stick game, works well with the Keyboard, Mouse or a Gamepad. I set four fire buttons to the same layout as the arrow keys on a keyboard. Shoot one direction while moving in another. :D

Also tried a Mouse which offers some unique gameplay. Holding the mouse button will keep the guns aimed in the direction you are traveling. But letting go of the button keeps the volley of bullets in the last aimed direction. Nice to do a sweep while the gunfire is shooting off to the side. The mouse also has an instantaneous move, can really zip around the enemies. 8)

Da link, check the Home Page there for some other great reviews.
http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/grid/wars.htm

This game is running windowed on a 500MHz Mac, can go full screen too.
In a touch of nostalgia, the Asteroids game is on an Asteroids Control Panel desktop. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Grid Wars 2.png
Grid Wars 2.png (242.97 KiB) Viewed 12255 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Sorry CRTGamer, I didn't like this one. I have Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved on Steam, and I don't agree with the reviewer you linked to who said that this is the better game. The actual Geometry Wars is more fast paced and frantic, it has better physics where the bullets arc with movement and motion feels natural, it has better sound effects and music, and the visual style has more flare to it. I can see there being some appeal to this one for your ability to treat black holes as point farms where you can rake in a big score, but I prefer them to be the ticking time bombs of destruction that they are in Geometry Wars. This Grid Wars 2 game moves slower and gives you more space to work in, and while that allows you to play a little more thoughtfully and strategically, I prefer the tension of the constant narrow escapes you make in Geometry Wars.I also couldn't shake the feeling that this was just a copycat game.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

eXceed 2nd- Vampire Rex
(Size: 336 MB)

This is an excellent bullet hell shmup that uses the color-flipping polarity mechanic of Ikaruga. That means you can alternate between being red or white. When you are red, you can absorb red bullets for powerups and your bullets do more damage to white ships. When you are white you can absorb white bullets for powerups and your bullets do more damage to red ships. When there are a thousand bullets on the screen, you will have to flip between the two colors just to stay alive.

This is another game that required me to go through a bunch of Japanese links I don't understand to find the game download, so if you click the picture it will directly download the file for you so you don't have to deal with that.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

eXceed 3rd: Jade Penetrate
(Size: 298 MB)

Moving on to the next in the series, here is eXceed 3rd: Jade Penetrate. Again there are flying anime girls and countless bullets. They seem to have dropped the color-flipping mechanic though, which is a shame.
Last edited by J T on Wed May 18, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

J T, it is poor form to not introduce the first one in the series if you are going to bring a sequel... Or is this a particularly crazy japanese series and the first one is "2nd"? :)

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Ivo wrote:J T, it is poor form to not introduce the first one in the series if you are going to bring a sequel... Or is this a particularly crazy japanese series and the first one is "2nd"? :)

Ivo.

I suppose you have a point...

eXceed: Gun Bullet Children
(Size: 65 MB)

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Two dead MMOs revived for yall
Hellgate London will be free to play soon:
http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Gameinfo/Gameinfo.aspx

Earth and Beyond is free to play right now:
www.enb-emulator.com/
Though E&B does ask for 50cents a player a month for sever upkeep.