A free PC game every few days

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
KDub
Next-Gen

Re: A free PC game every few days

Post by KDub »

Yeah you can kinda figure it out. Not saying it is bad, just disconnecting.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

KDub wrote:Haven't decided if I want to try Katawa Shoujo yet. Kinda sitting on the line with the content.

People made a big deal about the content because the initial premise was that it would be an eroge title with handicapped girls. Now, I didn't finish the game because of my computer problems, but I probably played over an hour of it and within that time frame I was surprised by how maturely written it was and I felt that the storyline did nothing but generate pathos in the characters. It seemed like a very honest representation of what it is like to develop a serious illness and realize that the rest of your life is now going to involve doctors, hospitals, and medications.

Again, no real romance developed in what I played. I also read that the entire first episode (which is all that has been released) contains no nudity and any sexual content is primarily innuendo or implied understanding.

In other words, I wouldn't sweat the content. My impression is that it's all handled tastefully. What I played had excellent writing. Some of the best I've seen in a game/visual novel. I think it's worth your time if you can get the program to work.

And as for Digital: A Love Story, yeah, staring at old fashioned BBS screens can feel dry. I was around in those days though, so some of it feels like a timewarp to me and I can sink right into its 28k modem world.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Against the Wall

*click to download or play in browser*

You. An Infinite Wall. An Endless Void.

That's pretty much all this game is. It's like virtual rock climbing. You have a tool that can move blocks in and out of the wall and you have to do this strategically to work your way up towards the checkpoint goals. The wall and checkpoint locations are procedurally generated so there is always a path to get there, but it's never the same one twice and the wall is effectively infinite. When you fall, you don't die-- you just lose progress. Perhaps this game will be too minimal for your tastes, but I like the solitude of it.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

J T wrote:
KDub wrote:Haven't decided if I want to try Katawa Shoujo yet. Kinda sitting on the line with the content.

Again, no real romance developed in what I played. I also read that the entire first episode (which is all that has been released) contains no nudity and any sexual content is primarily innuendo or implied understanding.

In other words, I wouldn't sweat the content. My impression is that it's all handled tastefully. What I played had excellent writing. Some of the best I've seen in a game/visual novel. I think it's worth your time if you can get the program to work.

And as for Digital: A Love Story, yeah, staring at old fashioned BBS screens can feel dry. I was around in those days though, so some of it feels like a timewarp to me and I can sink right into its 28k modem world.

Alright you've convinced me to check it out.
Ha yeah I had Windows 3.1 for many years and an old Tandy before that so it kicks my nostalgia bone too which was one of the cooler parts.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Alright I went through act 1. I really liked it, the story does draw you in. If it stays like this I'll gladly continue with the other acts.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Since you are on a visual novel kick, I added another one to the doujin thread.

---> Narcissu
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

And here's another visual novel for this thread.

Bionic Heart
SIZE: 53 MB
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux

OK, only the demo is free, but I had fun with just that much of the story. Bionic Heart is set in a cyberpunk style future. You work for Nanotech corporations as one of their chief technology experts when one day your home is suddenly invaded by an advanced robot (who also happens to be rather sexy) who is a fugitive on the run from the law. You have to decide whether to live dangerously and help out the sexy robo babe or stay true to your bitchy, but also sexy girlfriend. The story choice-points determine how well your relationships work out with the different characters. It's kind of cheesy, but I had fun with it. It's also fully voice acted and has some great anime inspired visuals, though it's made by a western developer.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Momodora
SIZE: 12 MB

Momodora 2
SIZE: 18 MB

There are now two games in this series, which first got introduced about one year ago. Momodora is heavily influenced by Cave Story. But Cave Story was fantastic, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Though there is a charm and magic to Cave Story that puts it above these games, the Momodora games are both really quite good in their own right. Both are definitely worth a look. Both games are a lot of fun. They were created by rdein aka the elektrobear.
Last edited by J T on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Aww I was gonna add to the list today.
I played Narcissu but it froze on my mid way and now I can't get past that part, just crashes each time. Good story though the visual part isn't all that engaging. Some of the translation is a little funny but not in a hard to understand way.

You can certainly see the Cave Story influence in the screen caps above. I'll have to give this one a try
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Cat Poke
Cat poke is a small puzzle platformer, made for the A Game By Its Cover (AGBIC) competition organized by Melly at The Independent Gaming Source (TIG). The premise of the competition was to design an a game based upon a previously existing fictitious game cartridge.

I choose to base my game on a fake famicase made by Olulu up

Cat Poke stars Molly, a little girl who is stuck indoors on a rainy day. Luckily, she has 9 cats in the house to mess with.
The kitties are hidden around the house, so Molly will need to collect tools and think creatively in order to poke all the cats.

Cat Poke is a cute and short little retro inspired game. It is a puzzle game, some of the cats require you to find a way to a certain area and other ones need convincing to come out of hiding.

Download it at the creators site http://jajitsu.com/games-html/cat-poke