eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Shogun
32-bit

Ebay drama - AKA how to cover myself over a dispute

by Shogun Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 pm

I am currently experiencing one of the worse purchases I've ever had on Ebay. I saw an item for sale and the location was listed in the town where I live. I contacted the seller and asked if he would do local pick up. He agreed and I sent him my phone number. He texted me an address and the location was at a business 30+ minutes north of me not in the town where the item was listed. I drove up there and the business was closed because of a network outage. I called the number that the guy texted me from and it went right to voicemail. As I'm leaving a message he calls me from that line. I answer and he promptly hangs up. I then call the number back and leave a message saying I will be in the area for another hour and if he contacts me we can still do the transaction. He never calls. As I'm driving home his coworker calls me and apologizes for the miscommunication. He states he can grab the item and bring it to his house as he lives near me and I can pick it up Monday (today) there. He said he would call me and let me know when to pick the item up. Well he never called. Tonight I just got an email saying the seller has opened an upaid item case against me. I sent him a message saying I would like to cancel the transaction with him for the reasons above. What should I do if he continues to pursue payment for this item?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Ebay drama - AKA how to cover myself over a dispute

by Hobie-wan Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm not sure they'll be any help. No trackable paypal payment and no trackable postal receipt. Without those it is he said she said at the moment.
joehero
32-bit

by joehero Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Why not just pay for the item via Paypal and have him send it to you? Its obviously something you wanted, or you wouldn't have drove 30 minutes to pick it up. Did you ask to pick up the local item before you bid or after? Anyhow, communication is important as is a paper trail, anything you agree to outside of the ebay's means of communication is again, "he said, she said". Best of luck!
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:40 pm

Yeah, if you pay through PP, then there is no longer an unpaid item dispute, and there is tangible evidence that Ebay can see.

I also say pay for it and make the guy send it.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:52 pm

If you follow the above suggestions, I would message the seller first and ask if he could ship it to you if you PP the money since you guys couldn't meet up.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Shogun
32-bit

by Shogun Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks for all the advice. The guy actually messaged me saying the unpaid case email is sent automatically by Ebay and he didn't send it. He explained the situation and apologized profusely so I just sent payment via paypal and asked to just ship the item.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Actually, now you say that, are you sure it was a case? I've had a few times where I was waiting on something else to finish a few days later from the same seller and had already let them know I wanted to wait for combined shipping. They were fine with that, but I still got a "please pay for your item" reminder from ebay after a few days.

Glad you're getting it sorted out though.
Shogun
32-bit

by Shogun Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Yea it was definitely a case. I got an email saying the case was closed after I paid.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:06 pm

PayPal was the case that they gave me
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:45 am

Unless they changed it, I thought the seller had to start an unpaid item dispute?
Return to Auctions