eBay links and general discussion of auctions
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23102
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Ebay shipping clarification

by MrPopo Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm

So I ended up deciding to get a new Steel Battalion controller of eBay (my attempts to fix my existing one have made things worse and I think it's unsalvageable without more work than I'm willing to put in). I'm starting to get a bit of a fishy vibe off of the seller. First, about 5 minutes after the auction ended (I got outbid right at the end) I got a second chance offer, with the message "Looks like you won it after all". Then I just got an email from the seller claiming there was an error in shipping calculation; instead of the $18 quoted on the listing the label is for $30.

From eBay's perspective, if the seller miscalculates shipping and I've already paid, is it the seller's responsibility to eat the difference?
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
oxymoron
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm
Location: Greater Los Angeles

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by oxymoron Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Morally? Yes. But if you try to fight it out with Ebay the seller will probably win.
Image
User avatar
SpoonyBard
128-bit
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Northern Wisconsin

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by SpoonyBard Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:50 pm

I'd refuse to pay and see what happens, unless the deal is unbelievable.

Pretty bad form to add shipping charges after the deal has been struck, especially after payment has been sent.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23151
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by dsheinem Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 pm

oxymoron wrote:Morally? Yes. But if you try to fight it out with Ebay the seller will probably win.


No. They can't change the price. You can pay it and leave bad feedback later or you can walk.
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23151
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by dsheinem Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

and yeah, if you've already paid they can't charge you more. request a refund.
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by CRTGAMER Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 pm

MrPopo wrote:First, about 5 minutes after the auction ended (I got outbid right at the end) I got a second chance offer, with the message "Looks like you won it after all". Then I just got an email from the seller claiming there was an error in shipping calculation; instead of the $18 quoted on the listing the label is for $30.

From eBay's perspective, if the seller miscalculates shipping and I've already paid, is it the seller's responsibility to eat the difference?

It sounds like the original winner did not like the postal price hike and withdrew. If you already paid as the second chance winner you can send a dispute notice to EBay. Maybe let the seller know your intents? Just have to wiegh in if that controller is worth the extra 12 bucks over what you bid and the risk of losing out thru a cancelled order.

Can you post details of the Steel Battalion Controller in maybe another Thread? I'm curious about the innards of that broken stick which I'm guessing is analog with potentiometers, maybe some can offer a fix?
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 23102
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by MrPopo Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah, I wanted to make sure that the only money eBay thinks he's entitled for is the money I've already paid using the eBay checkout. He's going to have to chalk this up to "do your homework", but I have no problem with him cancelling and giving me a refund; the deal wasn't amazing or anything.

He hasn't yet said "pay extra or it doesn't ship", so far it was just a "would you be able to pay extra?" So I'll tell him no and give him the option to ship as is or give a refund.

@CRT - I mentioned it in the Smile/Ticked thread, but the issue was I snapped off the stick at the base. My first attempt was to superglue it back together, but it didn't hold up against the sheering stresses. Hobie had given me the idea to see if I could get a metal pipe to fit on the inside to give it structural support, but when I went to measure I saw that I had caught some of the wires against the edge, and they got caught up in the superglue, and some of the insulation has stripped. So I'll be getting a new stick and saving the existing one in case I need parts down the road.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11933
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by CRTGAMER Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:05 pm

MrPopo wrote:@CRT - I mentioned it in the Smile/Ticked thread, but the issue was I snapped off the stick at the base. My first attempt was to superglue it back together, but it didn't hold up against the sheering stresses. Hobie had given me the idea to see if I could get a metal pipe to fit on the inside to give it structural support, but when I went to measure I saw that I had caught some of the wires against the edge, and they got caught up in the superglue, and some of the insulation has stripped. So I'll be getting a new stick and saving the existing one in case I need parts down the road.

Ouch. Is the stick analog or digital though I think it would have analog pots? That pipe idea could work, I was thinking along the lines of a threaded rod and maybe even a new handle off a PC Flightstick tapped out to fit. If digital, an easy fix swapping out the entire stick assembly.

Good luck on the transaction, good to hold your ground. For just twelve dollars maybe the seller won't risk losing account with EBay.
Image
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Image
Image
User avatar
MaxWar
8-bit
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by MaxWar Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:09 pm

I once made a miscalculation in the shipping cost for Gibson guitar case and absorbed the loss. The difference was big enough to swallow all my profit but I took it on myself and did not try to force the buyer to pay more.
User avatar
oxymoron
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm
Location: Greater Los Angeles

Re: Ebay shipping clarification

by oxymoron Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 pm

MaxWar wrote:I once made a miscalculation in the shipping cost for Gibson guitar case and absorbed the loss. The difference was big enough to swallow all my profit but I took it on myself and did not try to force the buyer to pay more.


That's why when idk how much it weights I go to the office. It's a bitch but in the end better safe than sorry.
Image
Return to Auctions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests