eBay links and general discussion of auctions
lost_within
Next-Gen

Re: Damn snipers

by lost_within Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 am

Im not upset at bidders...someone that takes the time to actually bid I commend. Someone that goes and says ok the auction is .99 cent...in the last 3 seconds im going to bid 500$...wait im tired...im just gonna goto bid and let this do it for me.
Yep, I know im the one ya love to hate.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 am

lost_within wrote:Im not upset at bidders...someone that takes the time to actually bid I commend. Someone that goes and says ok the auction is .99 cent...in the last 3 seconds im going to bid 500$...wait im tired...im just gonna goto bid and let this do it for me.

You can just as well use those programs too you know. :lol:

Also, what you're referring to is known as the mythical "nuclear snipe." When you set a max bid absurdly high to ensure that you win at any cost. Honestly, I don't think it's done very often, as it can easily backfire, as all you need is just one competing bidder with a really high max to end up with a final price of like $1,000 for a cart only copy of Super Mario Kart.

I think people really over-think the whole sniping thing. It's pretty much only done so that your own price doesn't end up encouraging too many counter-bids that bump the price up. It's not like sniping is 100 percent effective anyway.

After all, if your max bid is higher than the sniper's, even if the only bid you made was on day 1 of a 7 day listing, you still win.
lost_within
Next-Gen

by lost_within Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:04 am

I guess im always being hit with the "nuke" then. Im not a business, so when I bid say 120$ on a cart only title that normally sells for 80 ALL DAY 80, not ONE PENNY MORE, and I end up paying 118, I hate that. But knowing that said person will set a program where as I would stay up until 3 am....sucks.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:10 am

So stop bidding more than $80. You're part of the problem with driving prices up. :P

Set your bid and go to bed. If you don't win, bid $80 on the next one again. It took me over a year to get a copy of Contra at a price I wanted to pay as it was at a high point at the time. Eventually I won a complete copy for less than my threshold price for a loose cart.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

by bryan_65 Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am

Hobie-wan wrote:So stop bidding more than $80. You're part of the problem with driving prices up. :P

Set your bid and go to bed. If you don't win, bid $80 on the next one again. It took me over a year to get a copy of Contra at a price I wanted to pay as it was at a high point at the time. Eventually I won a complete copy for less than my threshold price for a loose cart.

This right here, patience!!!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 am

Hobie-wan wrote:So stop bidding more than $80. You're part of the problem with driving prices up. :P

THIS. Ebay has a built in Snipe, just post the max you want to pay. :idea:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

lost_within
Next-Gen

by lost_within Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 am

But its a bid to win, thats the thing. More so when its a title that will only pop up a hand full of times in a year, how can you resist?!

Knowing that someone is going to try to snipe me, Ill automatically look at the price and adjust to pay at least 30$ MORE than value, just to try to have a chance.

Just seems weird to me that we as people cant even click a mouse a few times or stay up late to watch an auction that we desire. I guess its the rush for me, maybe I enjoy the bidding war side of it vs not being given a chance to bid back
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:33 am

I typically only bid ONCE and for the maximum price I would pay. I'll bid again if I decide that I am actually willing to spend more than I originally put down. Simple, right? Not sure what the problem is here.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:28 pm

lost_within wrote:But its a bid to win, thats the thing. More so when its a title that will only pop up a hand full of times in a year, how can you resist?!

Either you are patient and pay the price you want, or you give in. Everyone that says "oh well, fuck it" and pays more than the going rate encourages the price to go up. I've done it before too, but usually after trying to be patient for quite a long time.

Knowing that someone is going to try to snipe me, Ill automatically look at the price and adjust to pay at least 30$ MORE than value, just to try to have a chance.

Again, if they'd already bid that higher price now instead of at the end, you're still bidding against the same amount. This is a matter of self control. :P

Just seems weird to me that we as people cant even click a mouse a few times or stay up late to watch an auction that we desire. I guess its the rush for me, maybe I enjoy the bidding war side of it vs not being given a chance to bid back

I do stay up sometimes if it is a little past 'bedtime'. I think I even got up early once. If it is a rush for you, then it is or maybe you just like gambling. You should go to real auctions instead. :lol:
lost_within
Next-Gen

by lost_within Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:30 pm

I like auctions and gambling :shock: thats not good...lol
Return to Auctions