The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Re: Damn snippers

by Duane Dibbley Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:08 am

The thing I hate is being sniped by a dollar by someone with 200,000 feedback. Go get a life, and let someone else win for once! Otherwise, I don't lose too much sleep over it.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:05 am

Duane Dibbley wrote:The thing I hate is being sniped by a dollar by someone with 200,000 feedback. Go get a life, and let someone else win for once! Otherwise, I don't lose too much sleep over it.

In most cases, there's no way for you to know exactly how much they set their max bid at when they sniped...
god
64-bit

by god Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:14 am

Agreed that its the name of the game. I benefit as much as I lose out I think. Still, the stress it all causes could put me in an early grave! And I often miss nice cheap auctions for PAL stuff from the UK because they all seem to end at around 4-5am here. From time to time I've set an alarm, and its all sniping. I got my Power Base Converter that way... But its the worst feeling when you wake yourself up at a stupid time only to lose out anyway.
Big Zenny Hustler
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:20 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Duane Dibbley wrote:The thing I hate is being sniped by a dollar by someone with 200,000 feedback. Go get a life, and let someone else win for once! Otherwise, I don't lose too much sleep over it.

In most cases, there's no way for you to know exactly how much they set their max bid at when they sniped...

Indeed, if you lose by $1 and the auction bump amount is $1 at that point, they probably didn't just bid 1 more than you. The only way you can know that you barely lost is if they won by something less than the bump amount.

Let's say your max bid on something is $20 and the bump amount is $1, but the item is currently at $19. If the other person wins at the last moment for $20.50, then you did lose by 50 cents. Since the bump amount was $1, they would have had to bid $20 or more. If they'd have bid $20, your earlier $20 would have won, but because they bid just enough to beat the $1 threshold and your bid, it would have jumped the $1.50. But if they bid anything over $21 they'd have won for that amount and you don't know.

I've actually managed to win 3 or 4 things by this sort of slim overage in the past few weeks. :twisted: But I have lost things this way too. It can be exciting if you're sitting there for the last few seconds playing the game, but if is is something you 'need', be prepared to spend more than other people or buy it somewhere with a fixed price.
lost_within
Next-Gen

by lost_within Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:37 pm

dsheinem wrote:Image

damned snippers = demon barbers

fixed for you lol

Thats the thing, when I am out looking for rare games...I dont have time to play around, so I will end up paying anywhere from 10-50$ MORE than what I need to, just due to these pricks :(
Yep, I know im the one ya love to hate.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Re: Damn snipers

by bryan_65 Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:06 pm

This is why I have a list of like 50 to 100 games I am looking for, and price dictates what I buy. I may not get that must have for a while but when I do it is cheap. There is no telling what game I may get out of my big list but I will wait for a good deal.

Don't be afraid to look at newly posted items and contact sellers. I even got a CIB Splatter House 3 w/ Reg card for under $40 shipped by doing that.

The funny thing is we had a hard time trying to get together for the buy it now and some one else bought it and he returned their money and still sold it to me. Some sellers are awesome and you never know till you ask.

Some people do like selling things in an instant maybe even cheaper.
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

Re: Damn snipers

by Onyxthecat Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:25 am

it's called ipad sniping, it's the only way to fly....
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:29 am

lost_within wrote:Thats the thing, when I am out looking for rare games...I dont have time to play around, so I will end up paying anywhere from 10-50$ MORE than what I need to, just due to these pricks :(

How do you end up paying more? If there were no sniping programs they'd either be doing it manually, just putting whatever large bid they put in the sniping program anyway, or maybe occasionally forgetting too. Heck, by using a sniping program they're less likely to get caught up in an emotional bidding war at the end and thinking "maybe I can win for just a few dollars more". If they snipe in the last few seconds, you're less likely to do the "try a few more dollars" yourself. If ebay changed so that snipes in the last minute added another minute, then it would just keep the price going higher. Good for sellers and them, bad for bidders.

When I snipe, I still try to have a max amount in mind well ahead of time. I'm just trying to keep other bidders from doing the few dollars more bumps. Really it works out the same if they're using a sniping program. It is still someone's max bid that you're up against if they'd put it in a day earlier. You're fooling yourself into being upset at snipers. Shill bidders are really your only enemy.
Return to Auctions