eBay links and general discussion of auctions
lost_within
Next-Gen

Damn snipers

by lost_within Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:27 pm

I know this has came up before as a rant....but this is more of a comment/question.

Considering how every other bot/modifier gets your account banned on EVERYTHING else. How is it these bidding snipper softwares have not been addressed?

If im out to win I will put my max bid, but jesus does it piss me off to watch an auction go from 16 bids to 20 bids all within LITERALLY ONE SECOND!
Last edited by lost_within on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yep, I know im the one ya love to hate.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Damn snippers

by Erik_Twice Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 pm

You don't even need a program to snipe.

If they wanted to curtail sniping they could just give a time extension to auctions everytime a bid is made. They simply aren't interested in it.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
god
64-bit

by god Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Can't stand these people coming along and snipping up my auction in the last second.
Big Zenny Hustler
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Darn those people Snipping off my collection potential by Snapping up auctions with there persistent Sniping.

It's all part of the game though. You either pay a little above the current value of an item by putting in a serious bid (as in "this is mine, don't bid unless you want to pay more than it's worth") or you watch the auction til the last couple seconds and hope your weaker bid comes through for you.
General_Norris wrote:If they wanted to curtail sniping they could just give a time extension to auctions everytime a bid is made. They simply aren't interested in it.

I kind of hope they don't.
I wonder if that would just complicate the game so that only the unreasonably persistent gets it. I could just see auctions going up by quarters for a couple hours or more after the expected close.
...just another lost soul...
lost_within
Next-Gen

by lost_within Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I know its not a software per say, but it seems amazing to think that its another form of "cheating" that seems to go UN-addressed.

Where everything else in current day is so anti bot, anti cheat, anti sneak....we bring in REAL money and its like...oh ok...you can cheat a little.

Last couple auctions ive won Ive had to pay a bit more than your average, I refused to stay up LATE LATE, so I had to punch in a insane bid knowing what would happen.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 pm

I think sniping programs are lame, just like cheating in multiplayer games. I do snipe, but I do it manually. Sometimes I forget about something and it slips by or it is ending at 6 AM so I just bid and see what happens. I'm not buying any mission critical stuff on ebay, so I dont' lose sleep over it.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:42 pm

It's just the nature of the beast that is online bidding. It would take a lot of effort on eBay's end to keep up with weeding out stuff like this for what is essentially a non-issue to them as a corporation.

It's a double-edged sword though. I've probably missed out on as many items by last second bidders as I've gotten great deals by bidding last second. If you really want to win the auction and you don't feel like monitoring it at the end, the only real option you have is to place your max bid and hope for the best.
lost_within
Next-Gen

by lost_within Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:56 pm

When I think back to when blizzard would ban my account time to time from running a bot to do my"mf runs"...miss those days. Seems like the EXACT same thing...its something else doing a job that I could not do myself. My refusal to stay up for x amount of hours didnt allow it. So of course....I ate the bullet and had my account banned.

I mean im not expecting ebay to have this revelation or anything lol. Just bugs me that some of us do things legit, but yet so many find a way to screw over anyone when possible
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:00 pm

I don't even bother with auctions - I just poke around until I find a reasonable BIN.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:26 pm

I snipe from my iphone all the time, only way I play ;)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Return to Auctions