eBay links and general discussion of auctions
floattube
24-bit

What do you guys think of this?

by floattube Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:31 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Nintendo-W ... 1e7bc30c41

I know it's being preserved and all, but it just seems... wrong.
muhanad
64-bit

Re: What do you guys think of this?

by muhanad Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 pm

floattube wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Nintendo-World-Championships-Competition-NWC-Gold-Cartridge-VGA-85-NearMint-/130925399105?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e7bc30c41

I know it's being preserved and all, but it just seems... wrong.

Looks weird, does splitting the cart preserve it better or something?
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Seems fine to me. It's purely a collectors item, anyway. I can't imagine any gamer really wanting to own it to play.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:05 pm

It's a terrible thread title and I hate it. :P

Oh, you mean the auction. Well, since the board is out in the open and there are no pieces of electrical tape or anything on the windows on the EEPROMs to keep UV light out with them in the dark, they are in danger of being erased if they haven't been already. Oh and it is VGA graded which I hate. And it is a stupid amount of money.

So yeah, pretty much shit all around IMHO.
Retrodude
128-bit

by Retrodude Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 pm

pierrot wrote:I can't imagine any gamer really wanting to own it to play.

Well, retrousb.com does offer a repro so you can challenge your friends. Sounds good to me.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
Ack

by Ack Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:20 pm

As I recall, this particular piece has been showing up steadily on eBay for the last few years. Nobody's bought it yet.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 pm

This is dumb.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:28 am

muhanad wrote:Looks weird, does splitting the cart preserve it better or something?

It's split up like that I guess to show that it is in fact the real deal.

Hobie-wan wrote:Well, since the board is out in the open and there are no pieces of electrical tape or anything on the windows on the EEPROMs to keep UV light out with them in the dark, they are in danger of being erased if they haven't been already.

The casing is UV protected apparently, so the chips should be okay. Not that it really matters since you can't play the thing now anyway. Not without busting it open with a hammer.

Ack wrote:As I recall, this particular piece has been showing up steadily on eBay for the last few years. Nobody's bought it yet.

Yeah, I've seen it before as well. Most of the ultra high priced VGA stuff floating around on ebay pretty much never sells it seems. I think the sellers just want to show this stuff off.

In any case, I do think encasing games like this can make sense for those not-worth-playing collector showpieces, but as can be seen here, I think it makes for a very poor investment if you're hoping to resell.

Do it for preservation, protection, etc, don't do it because you think it'll increase the value. Most game collectors aren't picky enough about condition to make a grading service worth the extra piece of mind cost.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 pm

AppleQueso wrote:The casing is UV protected apparently, so the chips should be okay. Not that it really matters since you can't play the thing now anyway. Not without busting it open with a hammer.

Forgot about that. It's still stupid to have those uncovered. Now maybe Nintendo didn't bother covering them up when they assembled the cart, but it wasn't really intended to be used past the competition and it would be in the nice dark case under normal circumstances. Still a load of crap IMHO. :lol:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Since the VGA casing is not air tight, this cart will corrode and soon be worth nothing.
Return to Auctions