eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Fogger

Requesting opinions on an NES auction...

by Fogger Fri May 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi folks,

I discovered this forum recently, and have been reading up on lots of helpful advice, tips and articles.

This will be my first posting.
I need some help from you experts, especially those who collect the Mint in Box items.
I am starting to get into building a collection of retro systems & software.

I happened upon an interesting auction on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200924375994?ss ... 1438.l2649

Its for an incomplete NES Sports Set, stated to be "new"
I started to examine some photos of the product at this link

http://imgur.com/a/4CznZ

I wont ask about pricing, because "value" is truly a subjective term, and all relative dependent on the buyer, and their budget.

I would however ask that you help be a second pair of eyes for me.

As you can see from the photos, in the auction listing, as well as from the second Imgur link, that there had been an accident with the batteries leaking and damaging the game (which is not available in the auction), and that the acid has also spattered and possibly leaked onto some other plastic packaging...

Now my vision isn't too great, so here is where I need some help.
In the 7th photo I begin to notice some residue on the NES's plastic bag?
It appears to be moisture residue, possibly dirt & water?
In the 9th photo it is almost confirmed there has been some sort of moisture inside the styrofoam packaging, if you note the styrofoam lid in the background there is what appears to be leftover residue from a pool of moisture???

Am I blind or is it actually water residue?
I'm just concerned that I would be paying for a "new" item that may have been used already, or possibly damaged.
400 smackers can buy a lot of NES goodness, so I am reaching out to you gurus here for some friendly helpful advice.

Actually... any advice to help me decide to purchase, or look elsewhere would be more than appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Cheers.
Return to Auctions