eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Solarus755
8-bit

Symphony of the Night reseal? Advise

by Solarus755 Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 am

Hi guys,

There's an auction I've been keeping a close eye on, with what is stated to be a factory sealed copy of Symphony of the Night. I've been looking for one of these to add to my collection, but I'm curious if this looks like a reseal or not:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221177248244?ssP ... 500wt_1414

It's in cellophane, has the seal sticker, etc., but I'm mostly curious of the white line that runs around the case about 75% of the way down. Seem fishy? Thanks in advance.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Re: Symphony of the Night reseal? Advise

by Retrogamer0001 Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 am

Just ask the seller to take a new picture and send it to you. If it's legit, he won't have any problem at all sending another.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
ZenLogikos
128-bit

by ZenLogikos Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:46 am

That looks legit. I worked at Gamestop during the PS1 era, and many jewel case cellophane wraps had a built-in strip that made for easy-rip opening of the package(I've never seen it counterfeited). It should run in a relatively straight line, but the way it's warped may indicate the wrapping is just a little loose. The hang-tab on the back was common then as well. I also bought this new, and my memory also concurs with what I'm seeing. I only buy sealed product so I'm a self-proclaimed expert on the matter...but I make no guarantees.

Sealed SOTN...probably will sell for a couple hundred.
Solarus755
8-bit

by Solarus755 Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 am

Thanks for the replies. That's reassuring to hear Zen.

Yeah, I figure it will have a final price in the $150-$200 range. I'm waiting for a while and will probably lay down a maximum bid thereabouts, depending on what I see. Like most auctions, it will probably rocket up in price within the last hour of the auction or something.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Ask for a picture of the top or bottom edge. If it is legit there will be folds like you do on gift wrapping. If it is just a melted with heat shrink and has a line, then it is a reseal. Just having the sticker label across the top isn't a good indication in itself since you can just pop the bottom hinge and get at the contents.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Looks sealed to me, but imo making an effort to collect sealed games is dumb, it's not a coin, or a stamp, or a baseball card.

You cant even look at the disc or manual.. or even see it, i mean is it truly in there and in good condition?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm

I hope that these sealed game hoarders open all their games one day only to discover that every case contains a copy of Ballz 3D.
Solarus755
8-bit

by Solarus755 Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Haha I normally don't collect sealed games. I just make it a point to get sealed copies of particularly nostalgic games that played a large part of my childhood (i already own open copies of most of them). This is a particularly short list (about 10 games). I basically just want those ones to be perfect and suitable as centerpieces for my game collection. Most games in my collection don't even have boxes (yet).
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:04 am

Solarus755 wrote:Haha I normally don't collect sealed games. I just make it a point to get sealed copies of particularly nostalgic games that played a large part of my childhood (i already own open copies of most of them). This is a particularly short list (about 10 games). I basically just want those ones to be perfect and suitable as centerpieces for my game collection. Most games in my collection don't even have boxes (yet).

i don't think there's anything wrong with that. i don't get the sealed game hate at all. it's no less ridiculous than collecting more video games than you'll ever have time to play.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:46 am

aaron speaks the truth. Personally I don't buy them but I don't mind if other people buy them. I see the attraction in owning something that is pristine and never used.
Return to Auctions