eBay links and general discussion of auctions
gnosser

Red Sea Crossing, super-rare weird atari game, up for sale

by gnosser Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Just a heads up to anyone interested in really rare games. A copy of Red Sea Crossing, a 1983 Christian Atari game, has surfaced in a little curiosity shop in Philadelphia called Medium Bob's. There's only one other known copy of the game, making it among the rarest games ever.

Here's a link to the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320978189140

It's already in the thousands. Just figured someone here might be interested.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Re: Red Sea Crossing, super-rare weird atari game, up for sa

by Gooseberrysoda Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:41 am

uh want
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Phillips CDi model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Playstations 2 and 3
I want your lame NES games: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45465
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:45 am

I don't usually respond to spam but there's another copy of Red Sea Crossing on gamegavel right now.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:35 am

Not so sure it's spam, more detailed than most spam and it is in the right category.

The copy on gamegavel - is it the same copy? Find it hard to believe both copies are up for auction at the same time and leads to me thinking at least one is a boot...or the production claim numbers are just off. Only (2) produced and discovered 24 years later...both randomly available at auction the same week 5 years after that?

I would hope no one would bid w/o a pic of the PCB, or some other sort of provenance, it's not horribly difficult to slap a repro label on an atari cart. Way too many questions for me...
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 am

mjmjr25 wrote:Not so sure it's spam, more detailed than most spam and it is in the right category.

The copy on gamegavel - is it the same copy? Find it hard to believe both copies are up for auction at the same time and leads to me thinking at least one is a boot...or the production claim numbers are just off. Only (2) produced and discovered 24 years later...both randomly available at auction the same week 5 years after that?

I would hope no one would bid w/o a pic of the PCB, or some other sort of provenance, it's not horribly difficult to slap a repro label on an atari cart. Way too many questions for me...

To me a spam post is a new user who disregards the two week rule of the b/s/t (hobie must've moved this thread to the auctions forum) and posts a link to an auction (more than likely their own auction).

Anyway, here is the gamegavel auction: link

They look different to me.

And as far as a repro... who knows? All atari carts (that I know of) have their screw under the label. You'd have to damage the label to take a good look at the whole pcb.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:59 am

I think the eBay auction is not real.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Opa Opa wrote:I don't usually respond to spam but there's another copy of Red Sea Crossing on gamegavel right now.

Does it have the same YouTube video link? I'm thinking its the same item, something must have happened with the GG auction.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:54 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Not so sure it's spam, more detailed than most spam and it is in the right category.

I moved it. It had been put in BST.

As to the authenticity, who knows. They are definitely different though. The GG one has a crease on the edge label and the red print is messed up.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for the link, so like I was thinking, just insanely crazy odds that only (2) were ever made and both are available at auction at the exact same time, 24 years after production. Not too mention, typically the extremely rares for Atari / Neo / NES are offered on dedicated fan sites and things are done behind the scenes (unlisted final sale price, in person meet up, etc).

It is actually going to be easier to do a scam in the open, on ebay or paypal, with relative anonymity (generic username, no personal contact, no reputable middleman) - in theory, all you have to do is prove you shipped the item and it arrived. If it is discovered a fake after that, it is really going to be a 50/50 proposition on what an ebay / paypal ruling would be. In the end, ebay / paypal, the dispute settlers have a vested interest in the sale going through, being that on a refund, they have to return fees.

For this reason, you should always use your credit card when paying for items through paypal, and not your bank account. Payment disputes on your card will be investigated by your credit card company, and even if paypal were to rule "no refund", you can then dispute via your credit company the same claim, and they will do a chargeback if they rule in your favor, and you will still get your money. However if you pay via bank account, you don't have this option. For this reason, when you buy something, paypal automatically deducts from your balance, rather than giving you the option to use your card to pay. If you don't have a balance, they will make your bank your default pay option and you have to manually choose to use your card. Even then, they will try to talk you out of using your card by saying things like, "Did you know your bank transfer is instant and their are no fees." Or sometimes, you'll get this message, "If you choose to use your credit card, you may be subject to a X% fee and your total charge will be $XX" (and then they'll show you a fancy graph of what it could be. It never is. Use your card and avoid the scare tactics.

Either there were more of this cart made than has been said, or one (or both) are fakes, imo.

The sellers are listed in different cities (one in Ohio and one in Penn) though they aren't that far apart necessarily, dunno on that. Something very very fishy...
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 pm

retrosportsgamer wrote:Does it have the same YouTube video link? I'm thinking its the same item, something must have happened with the GG auction.

Both auctions link to different YouTube videos.

Honestly, I put more faith in the GameGavel auction being legit. HOWEVER, Prototypes in general are a pretty shady market in my opinion. There's a lot of room for deceit.

Careful with those bids, people.

mjmjr25 wrote: both are available at auction at the exact same time, 24 years after production.

Quite the coincidence, isn't it?
Return to Auctions