eBay links and general discussion of auctions
johanesek

Suspicious auctions? GBA - FFV and FFVI

by johanesek Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi, I would like to know your opinion on these two sellers. They are constantly selling high demand GBA games - FFV, FFVI and pokemons. I might be a bit paranoid, but i really hate getting fakes. Even if you buy from renewed seller, you have at least go through time consuming customer service. So what do You think, are these real or fake? Some of their feedback comments also mention fake, although the money were refunded no problem. Is it possible that they have such stable source of genuine cartridge-only high demand GBA games? Or are these fakes and the majority of buyers is unaware and the minority gets refund?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINAL-FANTASY-VI-6-GBA-FREE-P-P-GAMEBOY-ADVANCE-NDS-SP-CART-/261075865470?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item3cc9558f7e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Gameboy-Advance-Game-Final-Fantasy-VI-6-ds-Gba-Dsi-Micro-/200801154520?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2ec0ae75d8
Opa Opa

Re: Suspicious auctions? GBA - FFV and FFVI

by Opa Opa Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Here are some reference images for the carts:

PAL cart of FF VI:

NTSC cart of FF VI:

---
Listing 1 has a photo of an NTSC cart. However, they're selling multiple carts and only show the one... No guarantee you'll get what you see in the photo. The listing also states: "This game was never released in the UK." Which, according to mobygames, is bull crap.

Listing 2 shows a PAL release of FF VI. Again, they're showing only one of several carts that are available for sale.

---
Are they real or fake? The carts shown in the photos seem to accurately portray the real releases... That is all that is certain.

Bootlegs just make ebay so much more exciting.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Without even looking, I know these are fake. Those three games are the most common bootlegs you will find. Anyone selling multiples of these are making it too obvious.

It's funny how pissed the seller gets when a buyer who got sent one of his fakes leaves a negative feedback and refuses to return the game. You have to be a real asshole to demand the buyer to pay more for shipping than the game is worth just to get your knockoff back. I've been sent a fake item before and Ebay didn't require me to return it.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm

They have stickers that look correct for once. However the "game boy advance' bit at the top looks too raised on the first one. The fact that these sellers both started out with 6 of them and are in the UK is bad though. Europe is rife with GB bootlegs. I'd be inclined to think both are crapola. Without being able to see the cart in person first and check for the silkscreen on the board above the pins, I'd stay the hell away.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:However the "game boy advance' bit at the top looks too raised on the first one.

Ooo! I didn't even notice that. Good eye!
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Again, this is just one of the many reasons why I'm going to stay away from GBA collecting. haha
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:30 pm

I only ever got hit with bootlegs on eBay twice. Once was a copy of Disgaea DS which was my own stupid fault for buying from an auction that used a stock image. I raised hell about that one and got a full refund without having to send it back. (The seller said he had no idea he was being supplied fakes. I don't know if I believe him or not but there are a lot of "get rich quick by selling our stuff on eBay" schemes out there so who knows).

The other was a copy of Rockman World 3 which I paid 99 cents for so I didn't even bother to complain.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 pm

That's standard practice for people knowingly selling fakes. They offer a refund immediately and don't ask for the item back. They hope you won't leave feedback, so they can continue their charade.

When I was buying GBA on Ebay, I always made sure to buy CIB and only if there was an actual photo. CIB fakes are extremely rare, other than Pokemon and Final Fantasy games. If there is any doubt, ask the seller to confirm they are real and have the Nintendo logo is on the inside of the cart slot.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
KDub
Next-Gen

by KDub Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Yeah they seem like fakes especially considering he has so many of them. They are better labels than most other fakes but others he has listed look off and as Hobie mentioned the lettering in the FF cart looks way off, I bet that it has the standard bootleg part number AGB-004 on the back instead of 002.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 pm

Ebay is a haven for pirate GBA games.
Still, I've been fortunate enough to avoid bootleg copies, mostly because I know what to look for.

Also, that's what feedback and pics are for.
Learn what the real carts and stickers look like, don't buy from suspicious auctions/sellers, and always check that Nintendo logo above the contacts when you get it.

It helps to know the games that are pirated most often though, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong Country, etc.

That all said, I have gotten real carts from sellers that use stock photos. There's a little risk involved, but you can usually tell the obvious bootleggers (cheap price with multiple copies or auctions of the item (check completed auctions)). If it seems fishy, pass it up.

FF6 is getting pretty hard to track down a legit cart though.
...and that's a pretty impressive sticker, best I've seen on a GBA bootleg.
...just another lost soul...
Return to Auctions