eBay links and general discussion of auctions
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by Hobie-wan Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:20 pm

D.D.D. wrote:What? Are they hoity toity or something?


They seem to be rather... particular about collecting minty sealed games, VGA graded, and prototypes. There are people there that seem to have no problem dropping thousands of dollars on sealed and rare stuff to sit on a shelf rather than play it. Up to them if that floats their boat. Just goes against the 'games are for playing' idea.
AppleQueso
 

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by AppleQueso Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:What? Are they hoity toity or something?


They seem to be rather... particular about collecting minty sealed games, VGA graded, and prototypes. There are people there that seem to have no problem dropping thousands of dollars on sealed and rare stuff to sit on a shelf rather than play it. Up to them if that floats their boat. Just goes against the 'games are for playing' idea.

That's because it's a collector's forum. They're in it for the collecting.
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by Hobie-wan Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

AppleQueso wrote:That's because it's a collector's forum. They're in it for the collecting.


I know. It's just at such odds with what video games are though. If you collect mint sealed games, you have a box to look at. Car museums usually mean that the cars aren't driven which does make them lose their main reason for being, but at least you can still see most of it so there's still a greater enjoyment factor that you get out of them IMHO.
AppleQueso
 

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by AppleQueso Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Toys are meant for playing with, but that doesn't stop toy collectors from buying up rare, sealed toys and whatnot.

I don't really take much issue with it. It's a completely different ball game than what we play.
User avatar
D.D.D.
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: of the Estrecho de Gibraltar is where now?

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by D.D.D. Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 am

AppleQueso wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:What? Are they hoity toity or something?


They seem to be rather... particular about collecting minty sealed games, VGA graded, and prototypes. There are people there that seem to have no problem dropping thousands of dollars on sealed and rare stuff to sit on a shelf rather than play it. Up to them if that floats their boat. Just goes against the 'games are for playing' idea.

That's because it's a collector's forum. They're in it for the collecting.


Huh. Never been to their site; never knew that. :?
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
User avatar
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: California

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by xan_racketBOY_fan Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:32 am

Anyone have a clue to what happened to the auction? Did someone actually fork over the goods?
Image
User avatar
D.D.D.
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: of the Estrecho de Gibraltar is where now?

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by D.D.D. Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 am

It seems to have closed at $55,000...
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
User avatar
Zing
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by Zing Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 am

Hobie-wan wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:What? Are they hoity toity or something?


They seem to be rather... particular about collecting minty sealed games, VGA graded, and prototypes. There are people there that seem to have no problem dropping thousands of dollars on sealed and rare stuff to sit on a shelf rather than play it. Up to them if that floats their boat. Just goes against the 'games are for playing' idea.


They also have a large number of people who can't fathom why someone would put a game in a "coffin" or keep games sealed. There have been many huge flame wars regarding sealed collecting.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Opa Opa
 

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by Opa Opa Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:23 am

55k?

Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with an 8 dollar Zelda cart, thank you very much.
User avatar
Zing
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by Zing Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 am

Hey, I splurged on my minty cart for $11! It makes me sad to see the gold carts with some of the black showing through on the corners and such.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Return to Auctions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest