eBay links and general discussion of auctions
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: The Legend of Zelda prototype.

by Hobie-wan Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:20 pm

D.D.D. wrote:What? Are they hoity toity or something?

They seem to be rather... particular about collecting minty sealed games, VGA graded, and prototypes. There are people there that seem to have no problem dropping thousands of dollars on sealed and rare stuff to sit on a shelf rather than play it. Up to them if that floats their boat. Just goes against the 'games are for playing' idea.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:

They seem to be rather... particular about collecting minty sealed games, VGA graded, and prototypes. There are people there that seem to have no problem dropping thousands of dollars on sealed and rare stuff to sit on a shelf rather than play it. Up to them if that floats their boat. Just goes against the 'games are for playing' idea.

That's because it's a collector's forum. They're in it for the collecting.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

AppleQueso wrote:That's because it's a collector's forum. They're in it for the collecting.

I know. It's just at such odds with what video games are though. If you collect mint sealed games, you have a box to look at. Car museums usually mean that the cars aren't driven which does make them lose their main reason for being, but at least you can still see most of it so there's still a greater enjoyment factor that you get out of them IMHO.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Toys are meant for playing with, but that doesn't stop toy collectors from buying up rare, sealed toys and whatnot.

I don't really take much issue with it. It's a completely different ball game than what we play.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 am

AppleQueso wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:

That's because it's a collector's forum. They're in it for the collecting.

Huh. Never been to their site; never knew that. :?
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:32 am

Anyone have a clue to what happened to the auction? Did someone actually fork over the goods?
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 am

It seems to have closed at $55,000...
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 am

Hobie-wan wrote:

They also have a large number of people who can't fathom why someone would put a game in a "coffin" or keep games sealed. There have been many huge flame wars regarding sealed collecting.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:23 am

55k?

Too rich for my blood. I'll stick with an 8 dollar Zelda cart, thank you very much.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 am

Hey, I splurged on my minty cart for $11! It makes me sad to see the gold carts with some of the black showing through on the corners and such.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Return to Auctions