eBay links and general discussion of auctions
KDub
Next-Gen

Re: 20 NES Games, Most CIB, Many Rare

by KDub Mon May 14, 2012 12:21 am

mjmjr25 wrote:Did you coin the phrase? Then you don't know what something "always has been", with respect.

For this discussion, ebay, not gamers, defines CIB as Cart/Instructions/Box and Complete as Complete. Not about to get into a pissing contest, but I assure you, I did the ebay thing long enough to know this and though i'm not proud, as a "powerseller" I heard this numerous times, both on the phone, and at regional conventions. This was one of the tipping points to which I got away from ebay (for the vast vast majority of my gaming purchases and sales).

Well I apologize so I guess it started there for the game market. No I did not coin the phrase but I've been collecting pretty much my whole life and be it game, misc merch and especially toys; CIB has been Complete in Box. I probably have at least one collectors guide somewhere that would show this.

Breetai is right and I don't think I've seen it listed anywhere else differently and I've noticed this start to filter down in the last year.

I guess next eBay will try and change MOC to something else.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 am

CIB has always been 'complete in box" to me too. I usually refer to it as a manual, not instructions. Even in your example you say "no manual" so that would be CMB for cart/manual/box instead of cart/instructions/box.

So if that really is Ebay's take on the meaning of the term, I've only ever bought one complete NES game on ebay ever because only one 'complete' game I bought had all of the advertisements and the plastic bag that the cart and sleeves came in. Not that I haven't seen morons listing stuff as complete when there is no book or front cover art included in a case when a game originally came with them.

Anyway, it is best to say specifically say exactly what things are included and/or spread everything out and and put 'includes everything shown'.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon May 14, 2012 12:29 am

KDub wrote:I guess next eBay will try and change MOC to something else.

"Mildly Opened Carton"
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Mon May 14, 2012 1:04 am

Hobie-wan wrote:CIB has always been 'complete in box" to me too. I usually refer to it as a manual, not instructions. Even in your example you say "no manual" so that would be CMB for cart/manual/box instead of cart/instructions/box.

Well, not really. A "manual" is "instructions". Just as when we see a CD style game in a plastic shell or CD jewel case, people will list it as "CIB", even though it certainly isn't in a "box". And yes, some folks do change it up to CIC "complete in case", but the majority on this forum and others still say "CIB" for Dreamcast or PS2 game, when there certainly isn't a Box involved.

I think the argument is being missed, I certainly think a majority of people consider CIB to be "complete in box", though the definition of complete to most people, is those (3) things cart / instructions / box - most folks don't let a missing spine card prevent them from calling a game CIB, so in this context, what does the "complete" in "complete in box" mean then? It means (now i'm repeating) CART / INSTRUCTIONS / BOX...because if it truly meant complete, the folks who use it, probably shouldn't.

We could dance around this - but it doesn't matter. I was simply pointing out ebay's definition of the word "COMPLETE" and while I was pissed when I lost my case, and more pissed when I got some "suggestions on how to list", at the end of the day, ebay is correct in the definition of "complete", no? I mean, its a bit of an oxymoron to say, "game is complete, except for the stuff it's missing".
KDub
Next-Gen

by KDub Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 am

Just for the sake of it, not trying to argue just to explain the lines/descriptions.

CIB (Complete in Box) = Game, Instructions/Manual/, Box and supplemental materials. That last part would be anything that originally came with the item and relevant to it (aka in playing the game). For example maps or a poster (if it advertised on the packaging to have come with that exact copy). Or for a better example the letter included with StarTropics.

MIB (Mint in Box) = Would be just as it came from the factory. Usually not opened but not required. Includes everything above AND all other promotional items that were packaged with it from the factory. Such as postcards for ordering Nintendo Power or the ad posters that came with SMS games most of the time. Would also have to be in like new condition.

It is the same for toys. CIB would include the toy, sticker sheet and instructions for example. MIB would have the box looking on shelf wear only, still likely have that tape there, and if I were to open it nothing would be missing. Would still need to find that little Kenner toy line book!
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 am

I don't disagree with any of that, and I fully acknowledge many (majority) of people use CIB as complete in box. I was pointing out to the OP that using COMPLETE in the item title listing can lead to headaches as I noticed a couple games off the bat that I wouldn't have considered complete, and neither would ebay support if some random jerk decided to try and get a refund (and keep the game) or some other shenanigans.

I explained exactly how I was informed ebay interprets this. For those who've been on ebay at least 3 years, you will notice how they have redefined item condition as well, and for that reason, you really are best listing everything as acceptable, even if you'd consider it "like new", because as many of us know, ebay has gone over the top in favor of the buyer.

Additionally, there are some (minority, myself included for ebay purposes, and usually on the forums as well) who use "complete" for "complete w/spine / maps / etc" and CIB, when it has the 3 main things but may be missing spine / reg / map / stickers / etc.
Return to Auctions