Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Hasting's/Go Hasting's Eventual Demise.

by flojocabron Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:39 am

https://www.gohastings.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=About

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/article/Texas-based-Hastings-Entertainment-in-Chapter-11-8198603.php

Looks like Hastings has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy. This was issued a few days ago. If you guys/gals have any gift cards you should use them up right now before they expire.

From what I can tell, Hastings is looking for a buyer to keep themselves operating.

Will they have a new owner in time or will they fully go bankrupt and sell off all their store product?

Or will they simply become an online only store?

Any of you out there have a store near you and have heard any interesting/juicy gossip?

What will be the fate of this media retailer?

I hate to be a vulture picking off the remains of this company (if it does go under and cant find a new owner). But there's a lot of sweet product out there in their many stores. Will they liquidate or will it be moved around to finally be sold online only?

So far I see no indication online of any mass sell offs or heavily clearanced products. My nearest store is about 45 minutes away and I cant really walk right in and ask.

So what have you discovered? Any indication in your nearest store of them preparing for the end? I heard a facebook rumor that in one particular store they had buy one get one half off on wii games, but I just think that was a normal sale.

So if any of have walked into a store and spotted special signs or you do know if they're finally biting the dust, lets post your wild speculation here!

And also lets help each other out? Maybe we can post pic and posts of games/product that we might need? A store a few states away that has that game you're interested in? Buy the product and ship it to a fellow racketboy member, you know work something out? Or at least tell us it exists so we can order it online?

Anythings possible. Just as long as its not overly expensive or just exaggeratedly overpriced.

Lets hope they find someone to buy them. Cause its still fun to walk into these stores and scope out all the wonderful merchandise.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Omerta
Next-Gen

Re: Hasting's/Go Hasting's Eventual Demise.

by Omerta Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:39 am

Makes sense. Walked in one the other day. They aren't taking games/CDs/books/DVDs in trade anymore and they were selling all of their current rental stock.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:58 am

Wow, the one nearby to me closed down like 10 years ago. I thought they were totally dead. Apparently even Blockbuster is still hanging on out there somewhere though with a few stores. lol
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:57 am

I only lived in Texas for a short time but Hastings was one of my absolute favorite places. It was a geek Mecca.
Ack

by Ack Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:45 pm

When I was in high school, the one in Auburn was my entertainment life's blood. Shit, even less reason to go back.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:47 pm

I have no idea what this place is. It's like that "Funcoland" I keep hearing about. Never seen one.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:17 pm

It was a warehouse sized retailer that had a lot of music, movies, anime (even hentai), videogames, and electronics, along with some other stuff.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:20 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have no idea what this place is. It's like that "Funcoland" I keep hearing about. Never seen one.

They are (or I guess were) a Southern and Midwestern entertainment retail chain.

Picture an FYE, expand its size several dozen times, add in a rental store, a book store, lots more geek swag and a comics shop.
Omerta
Next-Gen

by Omerta Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:02 pm

I'll definitely check in on a regular basis until something changes. Lots of times they've had awesome in-store only deals that weren't well advertised like half off used games. I can imagine they're going to do some even deeper cutting in a looming bankruptcy or liquidation situation.

It has also dawned on me that they still have a fat selection of PS2 rentals. Considering the steepness of some PS2 prices (Rule of Rose?), I'd suggest anyone near one to take a peek for any cheap - but now buyable - rentals.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Always charged too much for shipping, imo.
Return to Game Deals