Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Taobao and Aliexpress deals, finds and purchases

by Tanooki Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:32 pm

Even the board with the non-crap good quality MX chip sitting there is a sight to see. If that's not photoshopped to bait a buy that quality is hands on damn well right there pushing that 1:1 envelope which is fantastic. I wonder if they'll mock up a sweet cardboard big box for Earthbound. I'd love to see a flood of those.

The thing is I still need to get that 150in1 at some point, but I keep waffling and now I wonder if it will get outdated soon as that game is lacking about 5 necessary gems to make it most excellent (namely missing Bonk and Bubble Bobble 2) among others.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:20 am

Tanooki wrote:Even the board with the non-crap good quality MX chip sitting there is a sight to see. If that's not photoshopped to bait a buy that quality is hands on damn well right there pushing that 1:1 envelope which is fantastic. I wonder if they'll mock up a sweet cardboard big box for Earthbound. I'd love to see a flood of those.

Looking at some of the other stores I've bought bootleg carts of translated RPGs from boxes are slowly becoming a standard:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.L588hu
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:20 am

I'm surprised they don't bother with a real hex screw instead of the plastic mold, it's the one good dead give away still short of opening it up. I would imagine it's a matter of time if they bother to duplicate the board traces, etc accurately too if not the chips as well.

Sooner that happens I imagine you'll see more VGA people open up, but ones that are honest with set standards not making shit up as they go along to validate stuff, but also a general collapse in values. Pokemon games up until Go were on a good down swing because the last year to two worth of knockoffs were externally correct and even inside under the hood (pins/white ink) were right too. You basically had to unscrew the game to validate it online. I don't see most but the more rabid investors in this stuff trying to flip stuff doing that. It will be interesting once the last few hitches are cleaned up to see what falls out from it.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:40 am

It all boils down to why people collect in the first place. I started getting the fanslated JRPG's as carts because I thought it would be fun to have a shelf of fabled but unreleased games.

It led me to start collecting SNES carts again...and discovering that due to the stupidity of ebayers et al, I could no longer afford to! :roll:

Right now, if I was a collector looking to build a nice shelf of boxed SNES games and the choice was paying £100+ for a tatty dog-eared copy of Secret of Mana or £20 for a pristene reproduction then the argument wouldn't be a hard one for me.

There's something satisfying about playing a cart to me that I don't get with an emulator...but it's not very important at all to me what the circuit-board inside it looks like.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 am

Totally agree and I'm sure my response to your post there will get some agreeing and some hating me, that's their personal issue.

Why I did collect in the first place had many reasons. I started in 95 when the N64 wasn't there yet and when it slacked I got into it more. I had money in college as I lived at home, so I took at $20 bill each week and used it as discovery dollars at a local business. Since most games were $5 for the 8/16bit consoles and handhelds it was nice, a few went higher, but rarely anything went even as high as original retail. For me it was all about discovery, trying something new, and key to that being affordable.

Thanks to the the last 5 years of trolling the hobby into some commodity like trading cesspool of winners, losers, and sharking the crap out of stuff that's like nearly completely dead. A few years now I've been hoping something would break its back, but realistically as most know VGA is an unstable sham where you can just keep returning stuff until you like the grade, there are no qualified services. With that stupidity in place, and people finding ways to 1:1 the shells, the labels, the external bits of the board, and now the manuals and boxes the wall is nearly going to where it would crack.

So to me it's about the game, not the sheistiness of it, so if they do hit 1:1 and you can't tell them apart without pro inspectors and tear downs like you need with coins, cards, comics, signed goods -- great! It will run off most the fly by night speculators and those who have to fall into that group or get poached/screwed it should in time devalue the crap out of any faux rares and leave the few legit up as it should be.

Emulators don't satisfy me either, nor do flash kits, they feel phony and I have no value in them soI don't value using them but seldom and casually as I have no loss against it. So a cart, even if it's a 1:1 quality knockoff would make me happy as I'd have to pay something decent to get it (likely prices from 5-10 years ago plus) and I'm fine by that. I'd rather throw that amount at an old one, but fuck it -- if it looks the same, plays the same, and behaves(and in those games saves) the same let the clowns clown each other and the game players can have fun.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 am

My general philosophy is one of plausible deniability; with the exception of Neo Geo games and maybe a few particularly rare/coveted/special-to-me games, I'm not going to take a game apart to check for its authenticity. If there's no way whatsoever to tell a repro from an original short of cracking open the shell, then to the best of my knowledge, it's an original, and that's good enough for me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:11 pm

I can see that and what I've seen in Neo Geo circles there's enough people if they're just into cartridges only for the MVS that feel about the same. If they know it's EPROM replacement or chips and/or board replacement and it's noted as such some still pay fairly close, some not quite so much, but it's not worthless by any means. The ones I believe who won't touch the stuff are those wanting to have the total kit, or best yet matching serial on a full kit.

I know I have a boot of a GBA game, but it uses high quality parts in there, works right, saves right, anyone without a triwing wouldn't know the difference it's that good. Plausible deniability is a term I picked up back in the 90s studying politics for my BA and I've enjoyed that ever since as it includes so much stuff. :D
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Tanooki wrote:Plausible deniability is a term I picked up back in the 90s studying politics for my BA and I've enjoyed that ever since as it includes so much stuff. :D

Haha, well with a BS in history education and just a year's credits short of a BA in political science, it's a term with which I'm extremely familiar. :P
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Well played I did the reverse of you, started in history but the school started making these really stupid requirements for history based on some pretty far left leaning course requirements in sociology, psych, and something else that pissed me off so I switched it to a minor but had I a few more credits it would have been a double major back then. :D
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Just a heads up but it's the big 11/11 once a year sale on Taobao and Aliexpress in a couple of days.
A good time to grab a bargain! I'm going to start scouring and bookmarking now and I'll post anything I see of worth. Feel free to use this thread to join in.
Return to Game Deals