Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: US $18.23 GBA FLASH CART

by Anapan Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:20 am

Aww Page down...

I really did enjoy the SuperCard, but that's because I enjoy a challenge. Through a couple of manual hacks, you can get all but a handful of games (7 I think) to play (mostly) properly full speed and all - you'd need to do a QPC (quick power cycle) for some that didn't support the save patch in order to manually save your game to a save file after saving in-game. What I really liked was that it had (old/dated but still usable) emulators built in. Rather than making multiple individual GBA ROMs for each emulated game or a number of multi-cart like emulation compilations, you could just dump a directory of ROMs from many other systems onto the SD card and play them instantly (TG16/PCE only supported one region so you'd have to make a multi-rom manually for the exclusives).

That instant emulated ROM play for me was the main attraction of the SC. Since I don't know of any other GBA flash cart that had that functionality without waiting for a large pogoshell rom to load first. The price, even when it came out, made it my go-to flashcart when reselling them. I have a 2gb shortlist of pre-patched games that I can just dump to a mini-sd after updating the firmware of the cart. So cool to haver such a cheap emulation-station on a GB micro! Too bad about SF2 tho.

I am really looking forward to Krikzz's cart. It's hard to find one that's compatible on a Gameboy Player - the only one that fully works has turned into a holy grail (not naming because it might make it harder for me to find used).

If it's actually authentic (there were many pirate clones that sucked worse than the official ones - non upgradeable firmware and supplied with old crappier firmware) and the site works for you, buy it! PM me if you need help with the patching.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 am

Anapan wrote:I am looking forward to Krikzz's cart. It's hard to find one that's compatible on a Gameboy Player - the only one that fully works has turned into a holy grail (not naming because it might make it harder for me to find used)..

isn't the EZ Flash IV fully compatible with a Gameboy Player? I hope so I just ordered a GBA player. and the EZFlash 4 isn't hard to find at all, hmm wait Real Hot Stuff says they are out of stock now :(
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:36 am

Anapan wrote:It's hard to find one that's compatible on a Gameboy Player - the only one that fully works has turned into a holy grail (not naming because it might make it harder for me to find used).

I am pretty sure my Flash Advance works fine in the GBP. The issue is that it requires a parallel port with specific instruction sets to update, of which my pc that had that died..
fuctfuct
128-bit

by fuctfuct Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Every flash cart I have owned worked on the gbp. It is a gba so if it worked on a gba it worked on a gbp.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:41 am

Oh, right right. It's the Retro Duo Advance I was thinking of which has problems with most flash carts, not the GBP. Heh, made that post running on 3 hours sleep.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:23 am

While it's not perfect, the Supercard has its uses, if you are willing to work with its quirks. (QPC for saving on several games, as Anapan mentioned).

There are still a ton of GBA games (a majority even) that work really well with the cart. Just don't expect every single rom to work or work flawlessly.
But even some of the games that do have slowdown are perfectly playable (the Castlevanias come to mind, mostly only slowing down when there is a lot onscreen).
So far, It even seems to work well with some of the 256k roms (Spyro, Yggdra Union, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, for examples).

Also, there's even an awesome game that I couldn't get running on EZ-Flash IV that DOES work on the Supercard:
Ninja Five-0 :D

However, unlike Anapan, I hate the stock emulators (convenience means nothing to me if there's a way to run games at a better speed). But if you make your own batches (and why not?, it's easy enough) with the latest emulators for GBA, it's a great cart for 8-bit gaming.

I think it's still quite the value for $20.

I made a thread (and there are others too) about it here:
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=2&t=44134&start=0

As of late, I have given up documenting my related struggles, triumphs, and findings.
...just another lost soul...
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:29 am

and the EZ Flash IV seems to be back in stock ;) http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html

nightrnr wrote:
Also, there's even an awesome game that I couldn't get running on EZ-Flash IV that DOES work on the Supercard:
Ninja Five-0 :D

Ninja 5-0 works perfect on my EZ flash maybe you used a bad rom dump. the 256k roms like Mother 3 work fine on it you just have to load them to NOR memory and that takes like 5 minutes to do but once you do it is there until you load another 256k game to NOR.

Only game I had issues with is that Advance wars doesn't seem to save on the EZ Flash IV, apparently you can patch them game to fix that but I own the actual cart so I couldn't be bothered to figure that out.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:38 pm

ninjainspandex wrote:Ninja 5-0 works perfect on my EZ flash maybe you used a bad rom dump. the 256k roms like Mother 3 work fine on it you just have to load them to NOR memory and that takes like 5 minutes to do but once you do it is there until you load another 256k game to NOR.

Only game I had issues with is that Advance wars doesn't seem to save on the EZ Flash IV, apparently you can patch them game to fix that but I own the actual cart so I couldn't be bothered to figure that out.

Strange, Advance Wars saves fine for me :?
Wait, I think I DID patch that, as it has flash memory and needs to be converted with GBATA (I think) to give it a workable save type. There is a small list of games I needed to do that with.

Also strange that the same rom of Ninja Five-O that I have works on SuperCard but not EZ Flash.
But if it works for you, I'll stop spreading that rumor.

As far as the 256k thing goes, yes I know, but I just end up putting one rom on NOR and leaving it alone. It's just impatience and personal preference for me there (and saves space for more games on the better card :D ).
...just another lost soul...
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I always ran into issues with using my FlashAdvance 256M Pro on a DS. There's something funky with how it handled saving, I'd usually lose stuff from save corruption. I think it was probably corrupting it by a bit or something. It's a very strange problem, because I don't think anyone ever complained about retail carts not working.

That cart still works with AKAIO and the like, which I find fascinating, even though I don't really use it anymore. I did have to give it a shot just for the heck of it, though.
Return to Game Deals