Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Re: Refer 3 ppl to Dish - Free PS4

by Cronozilla Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:57 pm

I can't actually get Satellite if I want my setup to function. I'm in the process of setting up a HTPC with cable card interface. It requires service that complies with that. Which there is plenty of in my area.

It was a local issue, and it happened more than once.

Not to mention the Dish prices are actually higher than what I'd pay otherwise. My TV isn't expensive.

And it's not Comcast, so don't worry. I hate those people even more.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:07 pm

I got rid of satellite / cable entirely 4 years ago. I would not go back to any of them even if they were free.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:10 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:I got rid of satellite / cable entirely 4 years ago. I would not go back to any of them even if they were free.

If it werent for sports I would consider it.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:I got rid of satellite / cable entirely 4 years ago. I would not go back to any of them even if they were free.

I got over it. I missed sportscenter the first two weeks, various news shows, etc.

What I found was that I was simply getting the same information over and over and over, just from different talking heads. I listen to sports and news radio to and from work - I don't miss much.

I used to watch a ton of baseball and basketball as well. Maybe 8-12 hours a week - it's been replaced by much more valuable (to me) things. I suggest trying it out for a few weeks and see how you feel. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:23 pm

TSTR wrote:At first I though this thread was "Refer 3 ppl to Dsh - Free PS4." I was all "hell yeah, I can link that Kotaku article no problem." Then I read again. And I was sad.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:57 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

I got over it. I missed sportscenter the first two weeks, various news shows, etc.

What I found was that I was simply getting the same information over and over and over, just from different talking heads. I listen to sports and news radio to and from work - I don't miss much.

I used to watch a ton of baseball and basketball as well. Maybe 8-12 hours a week - it's been replaced by much more valuable (to me) things. I suggest trying it out for a few weeks and see how you feel. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Nah, not just sports news, but live sporting events. There is also some great content in shows from HBO, AMC, FX etc that I would miss.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:03 am

Yeah I don't remember the last time I had any sort of TV service other than Netflix (and I only got that in the last year or so), it's probably seriously been since my first apartment with my best friend, which we moved out of... maybe 8 years ago? I just don't watch a lot of TV overall. I have a small collection of shows on DVD that I can watch over and over again for background noise (Scrubs chief amongst them), and that's generally all I need. The Netflix for 8 bucks is nice, and I just in the last couple months started using my brother's HBO Go account, but all I've watched there is True Detective and Season 1 of GoT.

But yeah, $50+ a month on tv is not something I want to do. Hurts bad enough how much I pay for cable internet and my smartphone, but those 2 I've become so accustomed to that I don't want to do without. Though honestly I've been talking about doing the retention dance with Time Warner over my Road Runner service, it's time to finally get off my ass and do it I think.

Nice promo on the free PS4 though, good luck man :D
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:27 am

Screw Dish and DirectTV. Netflix is king. 8)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 am

I'd be interested to see the ratio of guys with & without wives who have some sort of cable or satellite TV.

As much as I get into live college football, my wife (and other women of course) loves CW, Hallmark Christmas movies, HGTV house remodeling shows, etc. She's not big into games so her version of my "gaming" is her watching an episode of Castle.

Hard to say, no we can't have TV to her, as I buy a new 3DS title :)
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 am

Armstrong cable put a lovely little data cap on the internet in my area a few years ago and they drop 100 gigs off it if you don't subscribe to their cable service :P. If not for that I would just stick with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the few other free streaming services I frequent online :P.
Return to Game Deals