Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
vic oakland
8-bit

Factor that Ebay/Half.com/Amazon are NOT listed condition

by vic oakland Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm

After a ton of Ebay/Amazon/Half purchases I've come to the conclusion that

a) Unless there are exhaustive pictures and a clear demonstration that you are dealing with a detail-oriented seller...you are more often than not going to be disappointed vis-a-vis stated condition, esp. if you are a collector.

b) Most Ebay/Half sellers with low number of total sales...are a crap shoot.

c) Some private Ebay/Half/Amazon sellers are GOLD and list accurately, but they are few and far between and often price above the listing level. (which is the smart, if defensive, thing to do...list one grade below, price what it's really worth...and everyone is happy.)

I'd say when this is all averaged together the net actual value of most used video games purchased online is actually worth only 65%-75% of what you paid whether buy it now or bid in an auction. And you should adjust bids /expectations accordingly.

That VG game? It's likely just GOOD. (Scratches, case is janky, sticker residue, manual soggy)

That Like New game with only one photo you won for $20? Should have mentally set your bid threshhold at $14 because more than likely it's....just NOT LIKE NEW.

argh!! /rant.

What's your experience?? What's your real value factor for online? Am I too negative, or about right?
Last edited by vic oakland on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Re: Factor that Ebay/Half.com/Amazon are NOT listed conditio

by Retrogamer0001 Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:39 pm

I've been buying on ebay for eight years now and yes, you have to temper your expectations a bit where condition is concerned. That being said, some people are just too, too anal about some things - for example, "like new" condition is one of the terms that gets thrown around way too much. Regardless of the condition descriptions, what you're getting is the result of one person's opinion - "very good" condition to you might be "like new" to the seller. I usually only buy items with tons of pictures and I always ask for the seller to check disk-based games before I purchase.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
vic oakland
8-bit

by vic oakland Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:17 am

I agree on pics. I like how Amazon allows for that now with used sellers...it's a real plus.

I just bought a "like new" original black label version of a PS3 game for above what the greatest hits version sells for new.

Seller shipped in an envelope with no padding and the disc has some kind of stain that is on both front and back of blu-ray (food? cigarette?)

I don't think I'm being anal to say...that's not even close to like new...or even really acceptable.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Pretty much anything I sell on ebay as used is getting a "good" rating if complete and without any major problems. Everything else gets an "acceptable". Even if you are really specific in the description there are an abundance of people who don't bother reading them or even looking at pictures in some cases and there are even others who hunt for errors and exploit them :P. Only time I use like new is if I break the seal myself.

Glad i swapped over to buy it now people seem to be a lot less anal and actually bother reading and reviewing pictures before buying.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:40 pm

I bought a copy of Spyborgs for the Wii earlier this year on ebay. The description said the game was brand new and sealed, and of course, it wasn't. It was an obvious reseal with damage to the case, scratches on the disc, and a messed up manual. I didn't even bother sending a message to the seller; I just opened a case. I was almost immediately refunded my money, but just to be spiteful, I kept and played the game until the last day.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

by TheSegaSaturnGuy Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:02 am

GSZX1337 wrote:I bought a copy of Spyborgs for the Wii earlier this year on ebay. The description said the game was brand new and sealed, and of course, it wasn't. It was an obvious reseal with damage to the case, scratches on the disc, and a messed up manual. I didn't even bother sending a message to the seller; I just opened a case. I was almost immediately refunded my money, but just to be spiteful, I kept and played the game until the last day.

You're an eBay rebel! Haha well played sir. :lol:
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:48 pm

OOOHHHH... I got a great story for you guys.

I'd been looking to get my SNES Square RPG collection "beefed up." The game I was hunting for was Breath of Fire. I knew that the CIB copies were going for a little over $100, so I was ready to pay that, but looking for a deal.

I found one that I liked the condition of, and the guy had really good feedback, so it made sense. He had a buy it know of like $200, but I didn't want to pay that much. He had "best offer" as well. I had never used this feature before, so I figured why not try? So I did a best offer of $50, to see what he would say. I was hoping to pay around $100. He came back and offered $150. I said no to that and re-offered $75.

This is where this story gets interesting. He accepted the $75 offer, and I was notified by email when this happened. I fired up PayPal and paid, and awaited a notice from the seller. After a couple of days, he contacted me, but it was to ask for more money. I said what do you mean? He said he accidentally accepted my offer. I said no, please send me the game. Next he replies that he isn't going to send the game. So I opened up a dispute with PayPal. Apparently this is not a valid reason to not send a game, so they "froze" his PayPal account until things were dealt with.

I imagine that this is how he makes money, because he contacted me a bunch of times to contact PayPal and lift the freeze. I told him to send me the game. After about 2 months, he finally said that he would.

I received Inspector Gadget in the mail. I was soooo furious. Luckily I hadn't lifted the PayPal freeze yet, so I was still protected. We made contact again, and he called me a liar. LOL.

Anyway, many emails later, he claimed that he accidentally sent me the wrong game. So, after about 9 months, he FINALLY sent me Breath of Fire. I thought for sure he was going to destroy the box, or swap out the PCB in the game or something. But it actually came as advertised. He then asks me to leave positive feedback!!! He said it was his only way to make money. I still want to hit that guy, to this day. I left neutral feedback, and said that the item was as described. Nothing else.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I can't believe you even left neutral feedback. That's a negative experience if anything.
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

^

Agreed. But I've just never been able to be mean. If he hadn't asked me not to leave negative feedback, I definitely would have. But since he asked, I felt bad.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 pm

Lol. Here is my eBay horror story:

Years ago I bought my wife a Z-Board Keyboard WoW key set. The item was shipped and delivered to my house according to UPS, but I never got my package. I contacted UPS and asked what I needed to do. They said I had to have the original shipper contact them and tell them that the item was stolen or not delivered and they would issue him a refund and he could then send me another item.

So, I contacted the seller and explained what he needed to do and he refused to do it. I contacted both PayPal and eBay but since the shipping data showed it had arrived, they wouldn't do anything. So, I contacted UPS again and told them that he wouldn't help me and asked if there was anything else I could do. Basically the girl I spoke with said that she had the number to the company that shipped me the item and proceeded to give me their number (apparently, the guy was just a third party seller to a third party reseller, lol). So, I called the company that shipped it to me and they then proceeded to give me the actual guy's home number.

Now, in the meantime the seller and I are getting into arguments. He is saying that it's not his problem because he did his part (which is correct) and I was saying that he is correct, but it took little to no effort for him to contact UPS and get me another item sent out. So, I left negative feedback, then he did the same. But, now that I had his home number, I called the guy. Which freaked him out. Like I think it genuinely scared him. He and I talked and by the end of the conversation we were really cool, we both retracted our negative feedback and he got me another item sent out.

That is the only bad experience I have had, but it turned out well. I was impressed that I was able to get this guy's home number. But at the same time it's crazy how easy it was to get to this guy's personal space. Crazy indeed :lol:
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Return to Game Deals