Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
pvt_awol
64-bit

Re: Should I buy.....

by pvt_awol Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:46 am

Sorry for the late reply. I read "Dreamcast games" and just went off on that tangent. LOL. My bad.

The Saturn...... well that's a tricky one. Unlike with the PS2 or SNES, you're generally going to find a lot of people who don't like it, and lot of people who do. Do you buy it as a collector? Absolutely. Do you buy it as a game player? Well....

Here is the thing I've noticed about the Saturn. It does indeed have a number of great exclusives and or better ports than other consoles. However, the problem with this is, the best titles for the system are typically the most expensive to get a hold of. So really, you either spend a ton of money to collect the really good stuff, or you have a mediocre collection of sports games and watered down ports.

In my opinion, I'd actually hold off on the Saturn. If you must have a new in box Saturn, then go ahead. If the option is available to you, I'd emulate some Saturn games and see if you like them. The PS1 got the majority of games that the Saturn got, and except for a couple of gems (the Saturn was a 2D fighter powerhouse) the PS1 gets the job done very similarly at a much cheaper price.

I know that there will be (or at least should be) some Super Sega fans that will call me out on this. And I hope they do for the sake of discussion. But I'm trying to look at this from your "just starting out" point of view. While you definitely need a Saturn at some point, I don't think there is as much bang for your buck to get it first.

Now, are you one of those collectors that wants to collect the most expensive games you can? The Saturn definitely can help in that department. Radiant Silver Gun and Panzer Dragoon Saga to name a couple. However, the Sony fanboy in me wants to see you buy a PS2 instead.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:04 pm

When I started this thread I never thought about it being a "community" thread for people to ask opinions about a pending purchase. But, that is a fantastic use for it. I'm going to edit my OP to explain that this thread could be used for that purpose.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:37 pm

As we type I see a clearanced PS2 with two games for $90 at a target. Should I buy?
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:39 pm

casterofdreams wrote:As we type I see a clearanced PS2 with two games for $90 at a target. Should I buy?

Nope, id pass it personally, maybe if it was under $50.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Yeah I left. I thought it was funny because it was in the same glass case as a PS4.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:40 pm

pvt_awol wrote:Sorry for the late reply. I read "Dreamcast games" and just went off on that tangent. LOL. My bad.

The Saturn...... well that's a tricky one. Unlike with the PS2 or SNES, you're generally going to find a lot of people who don't like it, and lot of people who do. Do you buy it as a collector? Absolutely. Do you buy it as a game player? Well....

Here is the thing I've noticed about the Saturn. It does indeed have a number of great exclusives and or better ports than other consoles. However, the problem with this is, the best titles for the system are typically the most expensive to get a hold of. So really, you either spend a ton of money to collect the really good stuff, or you have a mediocre collection of sports games and watered down ports.

In my opinion, I'd actually hold off on the Saturn. If you must have a new in box Saturn, then go ahead. If the option is available to you, I'd emulate some Saturn games and see if you like them. The PS1 got the majority of games that the Saturn got, and except for a couple of gems (the Saturn was a 2D fighter powerhouse) the PS1 gets the job done very similarly at a much cheaper price.

I know that there will be (or at least should be) some Super Sega fans that will call me out on this. And I hope they do for the sake of discussion. But I'm trying to look at this from your "just starting out" point of view. While you definitely need a Saturn at some point, I don't think there is as much bang for your buck to get it first.

Now, are you one of those collectors that wants to collect the most expensive games you can? The Saturn definitely can help in that department. Radiant Silver Gun and Panzer Dragoon Saga to name a couple. However, the Sony fanboy in me wants to see you buy a PS2 instead.

As a Sega collector who basically re-started his collection from scratch just last year but was a die-hard through their console production years, I think the above is a completely fair assessment of the Saturn. As a collector sure you definitely should have one but if you want a decent library there really are hardly any good titles under $20, maybe even $40. This is assuming it's an exclusive too.

I bought one a couple of years ago and I have half a dozen games for it and never play it. The rarest game I have is Fighters Megamix, which is far from rare. Other than wanting to display the hardware and being a HUGE fighting game fan, I don't have many reasons to justify having it since I don't spend $50-100 on old games really.

A friend of mine (whose parents never made him give his old games away like mine!) has a sick Saturn library with all the heavy hitters from Working Designs, etc. You can definitely build a short shelf of awesome Saturn titles, but it'll probably run you about a grand........
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
bchan009
8-bit

by bchan009 Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:43 am

Thanks for the info guys. I'll think a little more about the Saturn and spring for the psx first. Another thing to note is that I live in Hong Kong so I'm dealing exclusively in Japanese games. The prices for the few games I've seen look pretty low so far so I'll see what happens after a little more research.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 am

bchan009 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'll think a little more about the Saturn and spring for the psx first. Another thing to note is that I live in Hong Kong so I'm dealing exclusively in Japanese games. The prices for the few games I've seen look pretty low so far so I'll see what happens after a little more research.

Get a PS2 if you can for the backwards compatibility.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:45 pm

I have a friend that wants to sell me his XBox 360 for $100. It's an Elite (the later version with what ever the different chipset was), three games (I know Max Payne 3 was one), and two controllers.

What do you all think?
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Doesn't sound too bad as long as the unit hasn't had any technical problems. Are the controllers first-party?
Return to Game Deals