Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Should I buy.....

by Frag Mortuus Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 pm

This will be a great thread to ask other gamers their opinion on a purchase you plan to make. Whether it's comparing versions of a game, is a game worth buying, is a game in this condition worth this extra price, etc. We have all questioned a purchase and this will be a great thread to either talk you down from it or to get the reassurnace you may be looking for!

--------------------------------------------

Ok, I'm thinking about buying a brand new PS2 Slim and PSP. The PS2 is $128.99 on Amazon and the PSP is $99 with three free games on Walmart.com. I've always been kind of leery to buy used systems because I don't know how many hours they have on them and how well they've been taken care of. I don't think these prices are astronomical, but I do know that I can get a used PS2 for far cheaper than that. I think the PSP is a great deal considering I could get FF1, FF2, and another decent game. It's like I'd be getting the system brand new for about $70.

Do you all think it's worth the money?
Last edited by Frag Mortuus on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Re: Should I buy.....

by ninjainspandex Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Frag Mortuus wrote:Ok, I'm thinking about buying a brand new PS2 Slim and PSP. The PS2 is $128.99 on Amazon and the PSP is $99 with three free games on Walmart.com. I've always been kind of leery to buy used systems because I don't know how many hours they have on them and how well they've been taken care of. I don't think these prices are astronomical, but I do know that I can get a used PS2 for far cheaper than that. I think the PSP is a great deal considering I could get FF1, FF2, and another decent game. It's like I'd be getting the system brand new for about $70.

Do you all think it's worth the money?

honestly I'd buy the new psp and get a used ps2. The problem I have with used psp's is there is always a scratch or two on the screen or a dead pixel or two. PS2's are reliable and cheap enough its a no brainer to go used.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 pm

ninjainspandex wrote:honestly I'd buy the new psp and get a used ps2. The problem I have with used psp's is there is always a scratch or two on the screen or a dead pixel or two. PS2's are reliable and cheap enough its a no brainer to go used.

That's pretty much my line of thinking too. I still like the idea of getting a brand new one, but I can definitely get two used ones for the price of the new PS2, maybe even three if I shop around :lol:

The PSP is pretty much a definite, I'm still debating the PS2.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 pm

PS2- wait for a forum member to sell a gently used model. You usually get better deals on here anyway- extra controllers, games, and memory cards are often thrown in forum bundles.

PSP- $99 with three games sounds fine. If you don't have a Vita, I'd probably suggest getting one of those instead so you can check out newer games along with stuff on PSN (unless you're dead-set on exploring the full PSP library).

If you do get a PSP, check wololo.net and mod that sucker.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:48 pm

yeah my modded psp is like love of my life haha we go everywhere together. get this http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEMORY-CARD-DUA ... 4160a70f83 + x2 32 or 64 GB micro SD cards for a total of 64 or 128 Gigs of space!!! I have like every psp game i ever wanted on it, and all the emulators with entire rom sets means I can pretty much play everything up to and including ps1. Also the CPS1 and CPS2 emulator and neo geo emulator are amazingly done, PM me if you want to find where to download them with the roms preloaded into them.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:56 pm

That is awesome about modding the PSP. I knew people did it when they first came out, but I didn't know they had come that far with it.

How do you play PS1 with out R2 and L2?

Sell/Trade/Want List
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

by Gooseberrysoda Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Go for a used PS2, they hold up well. A used PSP, though... I'm hesitant to buy anything with wifi access that could've belonged to a lonely teenager.
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Phillips CDi model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Playstations 2 and 3
I want your lame NES games: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45465
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:01 pm

IIRC:
Analog stick left - L2
Stick right - R2
Stick up - L2+R2

I also think you can remap buttons as well, but I haven't played a ps one game in a while so I can't guarantee that though.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:11 pm

I've recently learned that Sony licensed a wireless controller made by Katana. Do any of you all have any experience with them? I'm seriously considering buying some. But, I've seen somewhat mixed reviews. More are favorable, but some question the build quality.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm

I bought a used PS2 slim in the west Texas desert @ a flea market for $30 in 2010. WELL worth the money. I've logged 200+ hours on it. Still kicking & moved to across the country with me twice.

Agree w the PSP scratch comments. Go for it new.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Return to Game Deals