Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
J T
Next-Gen

Holiday sale gluttony

by J T Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:29 am

Every time we finish out another holiday sale season I find myself with way too many games that were acquired with little thought or meaning behind the purchase, and those games are left unplayed now and possibly forever, which makes the spending spree feel all the more pointless. After the final deals have rolled out, I still catch myself rechecking digital download sites, now at an unnecessarily frequent rate, just out of some stupid consumerist habit. I peruse my inbox full of receipts or my credit card activity report with wide-eyed disbelief and think back to how I said I wasn't going to spend much this year and actually convinced myself all along that I wasn't. And I just simply feel bloated and full and gluttonous, and a little bit sick... and yet I can't wait for the next one.

Huzzah if you feel the same.

Also, OMG! What did you guys get!?!?!
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Holiday sale gluttony

by o.pwuaioc Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 am

nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:24 am

Guilty as charged. :twisted:, I don't even deserve a trial.

I expect I'll have a special corner in Hell where I have to stare at all the games I've bought, but never played.
No actual game-time... just stare at them... forever...

Of course, you never know, maybe I will have "time enough" one day to play them all.

I've given up on Steam for the most part (except for Dos releases and occasional Humble Bundles that give you keys for Steam, but even then I'm more buying for DRM-free versions and/or Soundtracks).

I never really feel bad about buying on GOG though. DRM-free releases are a cause worth splurging on (especially at a fraction the cost).
Most games I get I don't end up actually playing for quite a while anyways.
...just another lost soul...
flex wood
Next-Gen

by flex wood Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:48 am

Well I built my PC about a month and a half ago and already have about 60 games so yea. Although after seeing this thread earlier I sat down and played some of the new Tomb Raider so it isn't all bad since I'm finally getting some free time to play things. I also have all the games I've bought installed minus a couple of things from humble bundles so it's all easily available to me when I want to play.

Now I just remembered I need to reinstall uplay and download Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon.

Edit didn't even see this
J T wrote:Also, OMG! What did you guys get!?!?!

Well besides the new TR,
Dayz standalone
Guacamelee! Gold
Hard Reset
La-Mulana (this game is hard as balls. Very very retro feeling as well)
Paranautical Activity (game is amazing, randomly generated twitch fps? Yes please)
Payday: the heist
The new Rise of the Triad
Risk of Rain
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
And a buddy I play Dayz with bought me Starbound because I've got a sexy voice or something like that.

Not to shabby I'd have to say and I spent a hell of a lot less then I didn't during the Thanksgiving sales.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:14 pm

My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:28 pm

I am an official holder of the steam badge of shame lol. Only bought 3 games this sale though :P.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:30 pm

I didn't go too nuts. Strangely, Steam seems to have the opposite effect on me. Knowing that so many games are available to buy/download right when I want to play them tends to keep me to only buying games that I plan on playing immediately lately.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:39 pm

noiseredux wrote:I didn't go too nuts. Strangely, Steam seems to have the opposite effect on me. Knowing that so many games are available to buy/download right when I want to play them tends to keep me to only buying games that I plan on playing immediately lately.

This is me, too. Also knowing that if I wait I can get a good price on DRM games makes the deal even sweeter for me. My only exceptions are the $5 bundles, which is literally spending a dollar or two on a digital game with some of it, as the author of J T's article mentions, going to charity. I'm OK with that.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 pm

I didn't snag too much. The only deal that came up I wish I got was Guacamelee.

All I bought was:
Castle Crashers with the Pink Knight and Blacksmith
Borderlands Headhunter 2 and 3
Surgeon Simulator

The reality is I still haven't gotten close to playing anything I bought last Winter sale.
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

by MrHealthy Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Fragems wrote:I am an official holder of the steam badge of shame lol. Only bought 3 games this sale though :P.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrhealthy/badges/13

Get on my level.

Don't do that.
Return to Game Deals