Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Re: 4K UHD TVs under $1000 on Amazon today...

by Bradtemple87 Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:40 am

The sony sets at my work do well with the exclusive triluminous color chip that the other brands do not have. Since Sony invented the technology, it makes sense that it is outselling the samsung.

Honestly though, the samsung OLED is the most gorgeous tv I have in the store. I never thought something would impress me over plasma!
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:25 am

Bradtemple87 wrote:The sony sets at my work do well with the exclusive triluminous color chip that the other brands do not have. Since Sony invented the technology, it makes sense that it is outselling the samsung.

Honestly though, the samsung OLED is the most gorgeous tv I have in the store. I never thought something would impress me over plasma!

OLED frankly has me far more excited than 4K does, at least right now.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:07 am

AppleQueso wrote:
Bradtemple87 wrote:The sony sets at my work do well with the exclusive triluminous color chip that the other brands do not have. Since Sony invented the technology, it makes sense that it is outselling the samsung.

OLED frankly has me far more excited than 4K does, at least right now.

Same here, man. I've been anticipating OLED for years whereas 4K doesn't really tickle my fancy.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
cha cha
128-bit

by cha cha Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:51 am

I was sold on OLED the minute I saw my Vita boot up for the first time. I'm right there with you on that front.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: TTT2: Christie/PJack, Bob/Jinpachi, Raven/Zafina » SC5: Leixia, Tira, Aeon, Maxi » SF4: Elena, Rose, Cammy » GGAC+R: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF13: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS5: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:53 am

I'm not with you on OLED at all. Not until the tech improves. Can't imagine enjoying a 50+ inch TV with black blotches everywhere like on the Vita and on the phone displays that use OLED.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Wiki wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

The television industry has adopted ultra high definition television as its 4K standard. As of 2013, some UHDTV models are available to general consumers for under $1000. However, due to lack of available content, 4K television has yet to achieve mass market appeal. Using horizontal resolution to characterize the technology marks a switch from the previous generation, high definition television, which categorized media according to vertical resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc.).

The top-end regular HDTV format, 1080p, qualifies as 2K resolution, having a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels, with a vertical resolution of 1080 pixels.

Bah! Its a conspiracy to buy 4k movies later nullifying the current HD standard of BlueRay movies. I'm behind a generation already, 480p DVDs good enough on a 32" HDTV. :?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

cha cha
128-bit

by cha cha Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 pm

ZenErik wrote:I'm not with you on OLED at all. Not until the tech improves. Can't imagine enjoying a 50+ inch TV with black blotches everywhere like on the Vita and on the phone displays that use OLED.

By saying that... Are you suggesting that other screens such as LED, LCD and Plasma are immune to defects? I have seen many a case for every type of screen where there are dead pixels, darkened lines, panel luminosity issues and so on.

My Vita has no black blotches and neither does my colleague's 32" ASUS OLED monitor he uses for work (luck bastard). So I can't relate to your concerns on that front.

Just for the record, I am firmly in Plasma's corner for gaming right now (Panny Viera S-1). But cheaper OLED's in the future may sway me away from this.
Player of Fighting Games: TTT2: Christie/PJack, Bob/Jinpachi, Raven/Zafina » SC5: Leixia, Tira, Aeon, Maxi » SF4: Elena, Rose, Cammy » GGAC+R: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF13: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS5: Mina Majikina

isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:52 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:Bah! Its a conspiracy to buy 4k movies later nullifying the current HD standard of BlueRay movies. I'm behind a generation already, 480p DVDs good enough on a 32" HDTV. :?

Digital theater releases are 4k already though, and I suspect most things are being mastered at that level either way. With how the market is, we'll probably just get combo releases with a 4k disc too.

Thing I see is that Blu-ray is an easy enough sell to some of us regardless of "good enough" picture of DVDs. As you've pointed out in the past, audio quality can be spotty on DVDs due to heavy compression. Blu-ray doesn't have that problem. There can be the "issue" of theatrical mix versus home theater mix, but since most of us don't have private theaters it's logical.

With regard to the general debate though, I'd rather see OLED or whatever else pushing forward for better overall quality before I'm too worried about cramming more pixels on screen. Bad blacks and off-angle colors/etc are more noticeable at this point.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

by ZenErik Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:58 pm

cha cha wrote:
ZenErik wrote:I'm not with you on OLED at all. Not until the tech improves. Can't imagine enjoying a 50+ inch TV with black blotches everywhere like on the Vita and on the phone displays that use OLED.

By saying that... Are you suggesting that other screens such as LED, LCD and Plasma are immune to defects? I have seen many a case for every type of screen where there are dead pixels, darkened lines, panel luminosity issues and so on.

My Vita has no black blotches and neither does my colleague's 32" ASUS OLED monitor he uses for work (luck bastard). So I can't relate to your concerns on that front.

Just for the record, I am firmly in Plasma's corner for gaming right now (Panny Viera S-1). But cheaper OLED's in the future may sway me away from this.

Calling BS on that. I have yet to see a Vita without the black blotches. By now I've seen a good 10+. While not a huge sample size, I am fairly certain that all Vitas suffer from this issue.

Maybe you don't have an eye for it? I can't not notice it during dark scenes for any and every game I've played on the Vita. I work in a repair shop too and frequently see these issues plaguing Samsung devices that use OLED.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
cha cha
128-bit

by cha cha Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 pm

ZenErik wrote:Calling BS on that. I have yet to see a Vita without the black blotches. By now I've seen a good 10+. While not a huge sample size, I am fairly certain that all Vitas suffer from this issue.

Maybe you don't have an eye for it? I can't not notice it during dark scenes for any and every game I've played on the Vita. I work in a repair shop too and frequently see these issues plaguing Samsung devices that use OLED.

Hmm. Maybe you and I are thinking of different things? I Google'd 'OLED Black Blotches' and see the clear example images of what that looks like, and my Vita displays nothing even close to that.

Also, I think you are being a little harsh on the concept of future household OLEDs? Where, one can assume, in order for them to succeed in the marketplace they will need to improve their commonly perceived problems and production costs. If you look back at early Plasma and LCD tech, they had a much wider range of real problems and did cost a ton, yet eventually succeeded... All I am saying is- I have this hope for OLED too. :)

Return to Game Deals