Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
gbboy

Re: GB Boy (backlit Game Boy Color clone) 20.99USD free ship

by gbboy Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:17 pm

i am going to get one but my mate said you can now by real gb color with back lit screens ??
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm

gbboy wrote:i am going to get one but my mate said you can now by real gb color with back lit screens ??

The real Game Boy Color cannot be backlit. it's not technically possible. It can be frontlit but you will get washed out colour saturation. Perhaps your mate was talking about biverted Game Boys. Again, this is only possible with monochrome Game Boy models.

These options will also cost you triple the cost of a GB Boy Colour.

Here's my review of the GB Boy Colour if you want to get my more in depth opinions:

http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/gb-boy-colour.html

Spoiler: I think it's fantastic.
TK656

by TK656 Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 am

Betagam7 wrote:Can anyone who owns a GB Boy colour and a copy of Link's Awakening DX do me a favour and try something?

Start a game on your GB Boy Colour at any point where you can equip the sword. Now perform slashes while doing quick quarter circles on the d-pad(or indeed any circular d-pad motion.

Does your Link sprite disappear completely? Mine does. he stays this way until I either leave a dungeon or restart the game.

I've never encountered this glitch playing the game before so I'm assuming it's something to do with the hardware I'm playing it on. I tried the game on both my GB Boys and the same thing happens. Link becomes invisible and you can only see where he is if you swing your sword.

I searched online for similar stories but could only find one guy asking about it on Gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197769-t ... x/56498083

Can someone try it and confirm if it's a problem with the GB Boy or something going wrong with my cart?

I think this has to do with the fact that the GB Boy default dpad will let you press all 4 directions at once. I just tried it on my new one with a dpad and contact from a real Gameboy Color and it will not let you press them at once.

Hope this helps!

I just got mine yesterday, and it's sticker shows it was made 12/2016 so its pretty new.

Has anyone tried modding the GB Boy Colour to add the second speaker side to the internal speaker? Is it as simple as taking a wire from the other audio channel from the headphone port and adding it to the speaker?

Also I want the internal speaker to be off when using headphones, I have considered adding a tiny manual switch to just break the connection to one of the internal speaker wires when needed, but that switch should really be integrated into the headphone jack so it happens automatically.

Thanks!
TK656
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm

TK656 wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:Can anyone who owns a GB Boy colour and a copy of Link's Awakening DX do me a favour and try something?

Start a game on your GB Boy Colour at any point where you can equip the sword. Now perform slashes while doing quick quarter circles on the d-pad(or indeed any circular d-pad motion.

Does your Link sprite disappear completely? Mine does. he stays this way until I either leave a dungeon or restart the game.

I've never encountered this glitch playing the game before so I'm assuming it's something to do with the hardware I'm playing it on. I tried the game on both my GB Boys and the same thing happens. Link becomes invisible and you can only see where he is if you swing your sword.

I searched online for similar stories but could only find one guy asking about it on Gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197769-t ... x/56498083

Can someone try it and confirm if it's a problem with the GB Boy or something going wrong with my cart?

I think this has to do with the fact that the GB Boy default dpad will let you press all 4 directions at once. I just tried it on my new one with a dpad and contact from a real Gameboy Color and it will not let you press them at once.

Hope this helps!

I just got mine yesterday, and it's sticker shows it was made 12/2016 so its pretty new.

Has anyone tried modding the GB Boy Colour to add the second speaker side to the internal speaker? Is it as simple as taking a wire from the other audio channel from the headphone port and adding it to the speaker?

Also I want the internal speaker to be off when using headphones, I have considered adding a tiny manual switch to just break the connection to one of the internal speaker wires when needed, but that switch should really be integrated into the headphone jack so it happens automatically.

Thanks!
TK656

Not sure what you mean by that last point. On both of my GB Boys the internal speaker shuts off when you insert headphones as is normal on most devices.
Return to Game Deals