Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
mjmjr25

Potentialy Huge and maybe stupid purchase incoming!

by mjmjr25 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Ok, was plodding through local ads for video game sales and stumbled on this one:

http://buymystuff.com/forsale/8829

I have an active account so was able to make contact and then view the entire ad as it's laid out on craigs (which I can't find now :/ )

Here is the full ad:

Hello,

I am selling my boyfriends (rather EX! boyfriends) video game and other collections. About 6 month ago I caught him with my best friend. Not that you care, but I kicked him to the curb lol. The only thing he ever did (other than my best friend) was buy games and toys.

I have not seen him for 6 months and I want his crap gone. I spoke to local authority and have been told it is on my renter insurance and is legally mine if I can't locate him. I started to sell on the ebays but it take too long and I never done it before. He use to say his games and toys are worth 15 thousuand dollars. It is insured for that too.

Here is the deal for you. I have box it up. You can buy all 32 boxes of new toys and video games and systems for half of what it is worth. $7500 obo. I do not want some dealer to take advantage of me (not again haha). So you buy all or none and you buy sight unseen. You can maybe open 1 or 2 box but thats it. I don't want someone to just take the good stuff I know what is worth from my research.

You can emaile me or reply to ad. email is (removed)
I am located in South Superior in apartments across from Village Bowl, all boxes are in my storage shed I can send pics to you email.

Sam

Let me say, the hoobastang find has had me looking like crazy for something similar, so I hope i'm not forcing anything here. Additionally, I don't have $7,500 or even $5,000 lying around, so i'm def. looking for a partner (i've contacted some racket-friends already).

I have a meet set for tomorrow after work. I have a couple questions about legality and am going to request the insurance and rental agreement be clearly in her name. Then, she said I can open any 2 boxes. After that I can agree to take it or leave it.

My thought is I should be able to multiply out by 16x whatever is in those 2 boxes and have an idea if it is a good buy or not. If it looks like a good bet AND I have a partner, I plan to offer $4,000 and go as high as $5,000.

Thoughts?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Potentialy Huge and maybe stupid purchase incoming!

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Do you know what you're getting? I don't see any specifics there - she could be over-valuing the goods. Anyway, good luck.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Sounds a lot like what we did. I would be wary not getting to see everything though.

We definitely looked at everything and had a general idea of what we could realistically get out of it.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 pm

hoobastang

This is what I got out of what you wrote.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 pm

no , seriously sounds kind of fishy. Don't get raped or murdered Mike
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, for sure, i'll have to be cautious. If the boxes are small or something, that's a red flag. Or if it's like huge sealed toys from 2008 --->Pass.

Dunno, I just feel like if a dude insured his stuff to the tune of 15K, there's a decent chance there's some real solid value there.

All that said, i've had some odd experiences with gals named Sam.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm

I wouldn't buy it without seeing it all. People overestimate the value of their collections all the time. He could have 300 PS2 and PS3 games x $50-$60 each (what he paid) = $15,000 d00d!!

tldr: no
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm

So let me get this straight she wants $7500 but you can only open two boxes, and the rest is left a mystery. This reeks of a scam...
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 pm

inb4scamandwasted5k
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:36 pm

let's say I knew one of the guys you PM'd. And I knew he recently made a pretty huge purchase and was on a pretty tight budget now. Let's say he'd be like "awe well thanks for including me Mike," but he'd probably also say "you should find out if there's anything legit in there before anyone starts coming up with money." And he'd probably even say "does sound a little shady... don't get jumped for your Beanie Babies, guy."
Return to Game Deals