Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Opa Opa

Harvest Moon swag & discussion thread.

by Opa Opa Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Well, the deal is over but we can still talk about Harvest Moon.

Original post:
image:[url]edit dead link

Okay... so "free after buying" doesn't exactly equal free but... hey, tote bag!

Check the store to see if there are any titles that interest you because Harvest Moon games and goods really hold value. Especially limited stuff.

Thought I'd share this news over here at RB. I know there are a couple other green thumbs on this site. 8)
Last edited by Opa Opa on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Opa Opa

Re: Free Harvest Moon swag with purchase from Natsume store

by Opa Opa Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:00 pm

Tomorrow is the last day for this offer... just a little reminder.

I got my tote bag and it is a pretty nifty collectible.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this dude!

I just placed an order.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:03 pm

What game did you get, if you don't mind my asking?

I used this promotion as an excuse to finally pick up HM: Magical Melody.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:29 pm

DS Cute. Its one I've been meaning to grab. I see such wildly varying prices for it sometimes (saw it at a local game store a couple of days ago for 40 bucks) that this seemed like a good time.

I thought about getting A Tale of Two Towns, but that one is new enough that I figured it'll still be easy to get at any time.

I'm curious to hear what you think of Magical Melody. I have the cube version but I haven't played it in years. It didn't do much for me at the time I played it and I never finished it, but I don't remember too much about it either.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 pm

CFFJR wrote:DS Cute. Its one I've been meaning to grab. I see such wildly varying prices for it sometimes (saw it at a local game store a couple of days ago for 40 bucks) that this seemed like a good time.

I thought about getting A Tale of Two Towns, but that one is new enough that I figured it'll still be easy to get at any time.

I'm curious to hear what you think of Magical Melody. I have the cube version but I haven't played it in years. It didn't do much for me at the time I played it and I never finished it, but I don't remember too much about it either.

I've never played DS Cute (as I got the boy version for $20 a few years ago). That's some crazy pricing for a NDS game that has been out for a while...

I'd say skip on Two Towns unless you just get really curious. I didn't find it all that engrossing (I played about 5 hours and quit). However, the upcoming Harvest Moon on 3DS looks somewhat promising.

Magical Melody has delivered what I've been wanting out of the Harvest Moon games for years. It has provided a challenge and given me something to work toward. Starting out with very little land and resources and slowly eking out enough money to expand my farm is immensely satisfying.

So yeah, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. The only thing that gets to me is the art style. It is very chibi-ish. I... don't hate it but I don't like it either... If that makes any sense. I guess it just isn't my preferred character design style.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Opa Opa wrote:I've never played DS Cute (as I got the boy version for $20 a few years ago). That's some crazy pricing for a NDS game that has been out for a while...

I'd say skip on Two Towns unless you just get really curious. I didn't find it all that engrossing (I played about 5 hours and quit). However, the upcoming Harvest Moon on 3DS looks somewhat promising.

Magical Melody has delivered what I've been wanting out of the Harvest Moon games for years. It has provided a challenge and given me something to work toward. Starting out with very little land and resources and slowly eking out enough money to expand my farm is immensely satisfying.

So yeah, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. The only thing that gets to me is the art style. It is very chibi-ish. I... don't hate it but I don't like it either... If that makes any sense. I guess it just isn't my preferred character design style.

Yeah, I've had the boy version of DS for a while as well (I believe I bought it at release in fact), but I have plans to collect 'em all. I thought I remembered reading that they fixed some of the glitches for the girl version though, which is a huge plus if true.

I'm also interested in the new 3ds game, though I'm sure we won't see it for another year, heh. It seems to have some interesting customization options, which I always like.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Magical Melody. I might fire it up again one of these days and see if it I feel better about it. I genuinely don't remember why I had a problem at the time. :lol:

Since you mentioned it though, the graphics were definitely a turn off for me. I never liked the chibi style in the first place, and the boy character looks like he shoved a pillow down the back of his pants.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Damn, missed it.

On the current conversation, I've been wary of any of the newer Harvest Moon games. Past DS Cute, I've yet to see one that doesn't have a horrible art style (what was wrong with the N64/PS1 style? Arguably the best) and huge focus on "social interaction". Tale of Two Towns had a chance, but the reviews give me the idea that its a glitch fest and passable at best.

Magical Melody is great. I much prefer it to AWL, which becomes horribly boring after the first year. Magical Melody has the feeling of "I need to keep working, I need to mine, I need to breed, I need to build" longer. You keep having a goal to work for. I like it.

Overall, this is a series I'm seriously into. I've always loved it ever since I got ahold of FoMT. I used to spend hours playing the games and looking up info on sites like Fogu, HM Farm, and all the others that float around. I long for the day I can buy a complete copy of the SNES original, but I have a feeling I can't afford it anytime soon...
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I much prefer it to AWL, which becomes horribly boring after the first year.

I want to like A Wonderful Life so bad; but I can't. It just isn't a farming game. It's 100% life-sim. Oh sure, you can farm but there isn't a point to it.

Graphically, it's a pretty game. I like the environments. But that doesn't change the fact that it's arguably the worst Harvest Moon ever made.

I long for the day I can buy a complete copy of the SNES original, but I have a feeling I can't afford it anytime soon...

Expensive territory! I bought a complete Japanese copy for cheap (like $20 total). Now I have it complete for "completeness sake" without the empty wallet.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Harvest Moon swag & discussion thread.

by CFFJR Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 am

:lol:

For its flaws, I enjoy A Wonderful Life. Would you believe I legitimately beat the original gamecube version? My god, that took forever. Its a good thing they cut down the length of the chapters in the other two releases.

As for the farming, its definitely cut down a whole lot. I enjoy it more once you start getting hybrids. I admit though that the characters pull me in. Its an aspect of the series I do enjoy, even if they push it too much in many of the games now.

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Past DS Cute, I've yet to see one that doesn't have a horrible art style (what was wrong with the N64/PS1 style? Arguably the best)

Agreed on this one. I don't understand why they keep fucking with it. Some are better than others, but for the most part...bleh.

I don't like a lot of the new character designs either, while we're on the subject.

I'd also like a cib copy of the original, and I'll get it one day too. Having it on the virtual console just isn't the same.

Edit: I got my package from Natsume today, by the way. The bag is nice. I'll start up the game soon too.
Return to Game Deals