Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Craigslist Search Terms

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 am

I use a variety of search terms whenever I am looking for video games on Craigslist, and I am starting this thread so that Racketboy members can post their search terms and - hopefully - allow other Racketboy members to find more games locally.

I also think it would be interesing to hear stories from other Racketboy members regarding odd search terms that have resulted in unexpected video game finds.

In any event, my standard Craigslist search terms are:

videogames, video games, retro gamer, retro games, nintendo, snes, gameboy, game boy, virtual boy, gamecube, game cube, sega, genesis, dreamcast, dream cast, playstation, play station, ps1, ps2, xbox

In addition to these terms, I also use the name of my Charlotte, NC neighborhood and several surrounding neighborhoods to locate yard sales. Finally, while I have had some of good luck with these terms, I have also purchased some games after accidentally searching for "nintedno" and "playstaton". (The "playstaton" search led to a purchase of a box full of PS1 RPGs for $35. 8) )

What are your best Craigslist search terms? Have any strange search terms led to some great finds?
aaron
Next-Gen

Re: Craigslist Search Terms

by aaron Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:01 pm

"arcade" is a good one.

sometimes if you search for the terms you listed above and just filter in the "electronics" or "toys and games" sections you get lucky. or "free stuff," then you get real lucky.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Mechblue
128-bit

by Mechblue Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:33 pm

I use "craigs notification" on my android phone, allows you to save some searches you do frequently so you can just refresh every so often and see what is new. It will search all of for sale (or other categories) for these terms, so some times it'll show stuff in barter or any other weird category it was posted in. You can also browse regular Craigslist from it if you wanted to search a town you are visiting or if you want to run your searches on multiple different Craigslist. You use these dividing lines for your search query if it has more than one variable.

I usually search for "Nintendo | NES | SNES | N64 | Gameboy" , as aaron mentioned "Arcade | Pinball -Xbox"

Sega has always been a hard one as you want to put in Genesis but there is so much other stuff that uses genesis, so I tried to exclude the most common but I get a stray cell phone or boat every now and then. :lol: It doesn't really matter as I've noticed no one can really spell Genesis anyways. :roll:

And of course I always have that "NeoGeo | neo geo" search. Just never know!

Some of my car searches I put common misspellings of the manufacturer that people frequently do.

I refresh my searches every few hours and it some times leads me to new posts that I see before others. I don't buy as much as I used to but I've scored some nice stuff because of the App. Hopefully it will help some others score some good finds in their area. :)
TEKTORO wrote:That looks mad fake bro. :/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks for the information. I will have to give that program a shot.

I agree with you on searching for Sega items...no one can spell "Genesis"...and "Saturn" brings up entirely too many cars. I used to do a Neo Geo search as well, but it never hits on anything.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 pm

My craigslist is small enough that I can browse the entire video games and electronics section manually, instead of searching.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:52 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:My craigslist is small enough that I can browse the entire video games and electronics section manually, instead of searching.

Same here. And every once in a while I'll just do a search in the entire for sale section with a vague word like "game" or "nintendo" to see if anything pops up, and usually nothing does. But I figure if you're too specific it could end up filtering something that you may have not wanted to miss.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Protip: Search the "Toys and Games" section for some treasures. In my experience I see old couples selling off the gaming stuff their grown children left behind in their attic. Remember, to the older generation video games are just "toys".
jamespoo
16-bit

by jamespoo Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:10 am

look at computers too sometimes some people list video games under there
Shogun
32-bit

by Shogun Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:17 am

Just to add to this - I search for

PVM, BNC, SCART, Ultracade, Trinitron, Extron. Its rare to find this stuff posted on Craigslist but you never know. I feel like people post stuff on Craigslist for high prices and if they don't get what they want they take the item to the trash or recyclers.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:35 am

I search "commodore" and "tandy" about once a week.

But like BoringSupreez said, I usually just scroll.

lol just realized how old this thread is.
Return to Game Deals