Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Flake
Moderator
 
Posts: 8001
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by Flake Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Flake wrote:I have a soft spot for SNK's pre-Neo Geo games. Even if they are insanely hard. At $2.99, I don't see how I can lose.


I loved Athena on NES. Or so I thought.


Never played Athena on the NES. Or the arcade for that matter...

Oops, got Athena and Psycho Soldier mixed up. Athena is still downloading but I just tried out Psycho Soldier. Holy shit this game is awesome! It's like someone took everything great about 80's Japanese cartoons and video games and mashed them together!
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
User avatar
flex wood
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2701
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by flex wood Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm out of it. I forgot a point I wanted to make. Does anyone else think the price points will go up? With games like payday and resident evil 4 coming out at 20 (I'm sure there were others that much those 2 just stuck in my head) and selling moderately well I believe, I'm a little afraid that 20 may become the new 15. I usually won't buy a game for more then 10 and having PS+ is nice since most games are 10 or under for release usually.

Sorry to be off topic
User avatar
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5051
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 pm
Location: Outside Philly, PA

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by retrosportsgamer Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 pm

flex wood wrote:I'm out of it. I forgot a point I wanted to make. Does anyone else think the price points will go up? With games like payday and resident evil 4 coming out at 20 (I'm sure there were others that much those 2 just stuck in my head) and selling moderately well I believe, I'm a little afraid that 20 may become the new 15. I usually won't buy a game for more then 10 and having PS+ is nice since most games are 10 or under for release usually.

Sorry to be off topic


RE 4 HD at $20 is the alternative to RE 4 HD collection for $39.99 (the price point for GoW and Ico/SotC). While I dislike not having the physical media, these guys are increasing their margins by going download-only. I don't think it will go higher and if the market becomes saturated enough, it may go lower.
Image
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38132
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by noiseredux Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 pm

retrosportsgamer wrote:RE 4 HD at $20 is the alternative to RE 4 HD collection for $39.99 (the price point for GoW and Ico/SotC). While I dislike not having the physical media, these guys are increasing their margins by going download-only. I don't think it will go higher and if the market becomes saturated enough, it may go lower.


I didn't understand why RE4/Code Veronica weren't just published on a $40 PS3 disc like those others you mentioned.
Image
User avatar
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5051
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 pm
Location: Outside Philly, PA

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by retrosportsgamer Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:13 pm

So I have $20 in PSN points - while I want Scott Pilgrim, the play is to load up on 1/2 off SNK titles to maximize my dollar.

Baseball Stars 2 is a given - and meat (user here) told me Baseball Stars Professional has a f'd up netcode so I'm passing (I have that for AES anyway and it's moot with BS2 on PSN). Shock Troopers sounds fun but that's on SNK Classics Vol 1. League Bowlng is a YES. Super Sidekicks, the 3rd one is on Vol 1 - does the netcode tip the scales? That leaves me with KoF 95 and KoF 96 - which are on the Orachi comp on the PS2...but potential Budget night titles.

Decisions, decisions.


ALPHA MISSION II
ART OF FIGHTING
BASEBALL STARS PROFESSIONAL
BASEBALL STARS 2
FATAL FURY
LEAGUE BOWLING
MAGICIAN LORD
METAL SLUG
METAL SLUG 2
SAMURAI SHODOWN
THE KING OF FIGHTERS’94
THE KING OF FIGHTER’95
THE KING OF FIGHTERS’96
SHOCK TROOPERS
SUPER SIDEKICKS
WORLD HEROES
Image
User avatar
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5051
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 pm
Location: Outside Philly, PA

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by retrosportsgamer Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm

noiseredux wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:RE 4 HD at $20 is the alternative to RE 4 HD collection for $39.99 (the price point for GoW and Ico/SotC). While I dislike not having the physical media, these guys are increasing their margins by going download-only. I don't think it will go higher and if the market becomes saturated enough, it may go lower.


I didn't understand why RE4/Code Veronica weren't just published on a $40 PS3 disc like those others you mentioned.


I'd venture since Ico/SotC and the GoW ones were exclusives and not on numerous systems (RE 4 has been on everything it seems). God of War Origins is brand new for a lot of people. I'm also not sure how those comps have sold (I got GoW for $19.99 new recently).

The reviews were pretty timid on RE 4 HD and CV also - maybe they felt there wasn't enough to make money by going with the retail copy?

Good questions
Image
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38132
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by noiseredux Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm just thinking that RE4 is an easy sale.

Regarding yr purcheses... pick up KOF96. A lot of us budget fighters have that one!
Image
User avatar
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5051
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 pm
Location: Outside Philly, PA

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by retrosportsgamer Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 am

I went:

Baseball Stars 2
League Bowling
Super Sidekicks (the preview sold me)
King of Fighters '96

Excellent deal. The $6.99 Mortal Kombat Kollection is still out there...I'm guessing for the month.
Image
User avatar
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2805
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 am
Location: Austin

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by wip3outguy7 Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 am

I picked up Alpha Mission II and Metal Slug 2 with the $9 I had.

Alpha Mission II is a pretty solid shmup with some great music. The power up system is very unique. I think it's going to take some time to really figure this one out.

Metal Slug 2 actually has an option to "up the clock speed", eliminating the horrible slowdown that plagued the game on the original MVS and AES. The netcode is just as solid as Shock Troopers.
Flake
Moderator
 
Posts: 8001
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: The awesome deals (and free stuff) on PSN thread.

by Flake Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 am

Oh crap, I don't remember Ikari Warriors being this hard!

I am loving these SNK minis. It's a shame that SNK Vol 0 didn't make it to the States, but this is a nice consolation prize.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to Game Deals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests