Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
KingDavid73
16-bit

Re: Experience or Impulse?

by KingDavid73 Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm

The only games I pay full price for are preorders of limited editions of games I'm pretty excited about. Other than that, I wait and buy it cheap, especially retro games. I try not to pay more than like $5 for older games. If you look around often and are patient, it'll happen.
"If less is more, just think how much more MORE would be!"

Gaming systems - Sears Super Pong, Coleco Telstar, Radofin Telesports Mini, 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore 64, Mattel Aquarius, 7800, NES, SMS, TG16, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Neo Geo CD, Saturn, PSX, N64, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, PSP, Xbox 360, Gaming PC
god
64-bit

by god Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:44 pm

KingDavid73 wrote:The only games I pay full price for are preorders of limited editions of games I'm pretty excited about. Other than that, I wait and buy it cheap, especially retro games. I try not to pay more than like $5 for older games. If you look around often and are patient, it'll happen.

That would be a good way to be. I was caught up in an ebay frenzy and bought Splatterhouse 2 MD complete for a pretty insane price. A few weeks later I saw one go boxed for $1.04.
Big Zenny Hustler
KingDavid73
16-bit

by KingDavid73 Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 pm

god wrote:
KingDavid73 wrote:The only games I pay full price for are preorders of limited editions of games I'm pretty excited about. Other than that, I wait and buy it cheap, especially retro games. I try not to pay more than like $5 for older games. If you look around often and are patient, it'll happen.

That would be a good way to be. I was caught up in an ebay frenzy and bought Splatterhouse 2 MD complete for a pretty insane price. A few weeks later I saw one go boxed for $1.04.

I also have Gamefly, so that really helps out with those newer games I'm unsure about. I rent them, and if I like them, I can usually keep them for like $20 - $30 instead of $60.
"If less is more, just think how much more MORE would be!"

Gaming systems - Sears Super Pong, Coleco Telstar, Radofin Telesports Mini, 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Commodore 64, Mattel Aquarius, 7800, NES, SMS, TG16, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Neo Geo CD, Saturn, PSX, N64, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, PSP, Xbox 360, Gaming PC
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:20 am

Bumping this again.

now that a few years have passed and prices of games have come up even more, do you still feel the same?

Is the so called 'rarity' of a game forcing you to buy it on impulse?

Does it make a difference if the game is old or new?

We're at the point where the last current gen is affordable. So we can buy lots of current games at low prices. Will we be comfortable with this in a few years when those games we could find easily are no longer found?
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
soul_hacker
64-bit

by soul_hacker Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 pm

There are certain games that I'm willing to pay a premium for but those are games that are pretty hard to find for a really good price, at least in my area. I have found some of these games for awesome prices, but it happens maybe once a year.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Rarely do I ever spend over $10 on a game unless it's something I really want and I know it's only going to go up in price. Don't think I could ever bring myself to pay over $50 for a single game though.

Pawnshops in my area really have me spoiled. Have two shops in the same chain close by that have really low flat rate pricing $3 for Xbox/GC/PS2/PS1 and $7 for Wii/360/PS3. Each time I go in I find 5-6 games for my back log and since I'm in there every week occasionally they drop their already crazy low prices even lower :P.
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:32 pm

.... I just bought a game on Ebay based on the youtube video of it, and the fact that the one I bought was a solid $20 to $50 cheaper than all the others. I guess that's impulse? LOL.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:14 pm

I might be a little more jittery than some people but I live in Pittsburgh and in my area it seems like retro games are extremely hot. If you're at a flea market booth or yard sale and you see any decent 8-bit or 16-bit games, IMO you pretty much have to decide before you walk away what you want to do. Otherwise it's gone.

We have a decent-sized flea market here but if you don't show up by 9am you should probably not plan on finding anything. I try to hit that real heavy in late spring/early summer, then when it dries out I get up at the ass crack of dawn to be right on time for yard sales that sound like they have potential. I've STILL missed out on stuff because I wasn't ballsy/rude enough to show up a half an hour before like some guy that beat me to the punch. As for pawn/thrift stores, there's not much around here and I don't come across many games at those places.

PS: Think I'm gonna start pounding the pavement again this Saturday. Trying to decide if I want to hit the flea market in case this is the first big weekend or if I should hit a multi-family yard sale that's almost an hour away......
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Aar1012
24-bit

by Aar1012 Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 am

I generally prefer the hunt and will go with an impulse. However, I'll look up a price before I do the full buy. I do like having some research done quickly - I've made some good pickups but I've also probably pay a bit higher when I could get it cheaper on eBay.

I have told my girlfriend that I will, as a matter of principal, buy certain things (if not crazy expensive) just because I found them in the wild (Consoles mostly).
Systems Owned: NES, Sega Genesis (Non-TMSS), Game Boy, Game Gear, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis (Model 2), PlayStation, N64, Sega Dreamcast, GBA SP, Xbox, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, Playstation 3, PSP, Nintendo 3DS
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:01 am

^

I've overpaid before, but I suppose I've gotten enough deals to even it out. I hate HATE to be that guy that asks for a price at a flea market or garage sale, and then I whip out my phone to check the price. To me, that screams "re-seller" and I hate it.

I'm with you Aar1012, if I find it in the wild and I want it, I'll just usually pay for it.

I've also been burned by guys that check prices when I haven't....... I accidentally traded a CIB copy of Fire Emblem on the Gamecube for some loose SNES games I wanted. I didn't know until I checked the price later on that Fire Emblem is actually pretty spendy. LOL. Oops!
Return to Game Deals