Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Re: Experience or Impulse?

by Frag Mortuus Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:50 pm

While my area isn't as good as what I see Fragems post up every week, it still has it's merits. There is one pawn shop that always has PS3, Wii, and 360 games for $5, no matter what the game is. There is another that has games and doesn't move them much so they will always bargain with you, and then there are two really awesome retro sellers. Both of which give me amazing deals. I went to high school with one of the guys and the other is just a nice dude that opened his store (Retro Nation) because he loves games. Apparently there is a huge amount of collectors in my area that I've never heard of because this guy is constantly getting some awesome trades (Rose Red, Earthbound Complete and Mint) that I would have never expected to show up, also he doesn't buy from eBay or anything else to resell, he sells what he gets traded locally.

So, with all that awesomeness in mind, the way I buy games is this: I will generally have certain games that I'm actively looking for and I will have a good idea as to what they go for on average. So, I will try to get them lower and I can wait it out. A few of the games I've been looking for recently have been Dark Cloud 1 & 2, Fear Effect 1 & 2 and Mass Effect Trilogy. I know that Mass Effect Trilogy used is generally a $30 game, Fear Effect 1 is $10-$20 and Fear Effect 2 is around $25-$30, Dark Cloud 1 is usually a $18-$20 game and Dark Cloud 2 is generally a $30 game, for good condition, complete versions. I will look around at the BST thread here, I will look on eBay, and check with my local places. I let the local guys know that I'm looking for them so that they'll keep an eye out as well. I'm somewhat patient and can wait for a deal to come along. I will also, watch some items on eBay and toss a bid in late to see if I get it.

Lately all of my tactics have worked out. Retro Nation got me DC 1&2 for $25 total for mint copies, my other seller sold me Mass Effect Trilogy for $15 and a last minute eBay bid got me Fear Effect 1&2 for 20.51 for complete copies.

For games I'm not actively looking for I will only pick up for around $5 at the pawn shops.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:26 pm

With older games, I generally have to rely on impulse... It's rare that I see retro games around, and when I do, it's usually because I'm passing through some place and so I have to decide there if the game is a good deal or not. If I do take the game home, I always check the price online to see how I did... and so far I've been pretty good about it. I have passed up some good deals and picked up some bad deals, but I'm still learning so it's to be expected ><
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

by Frag Mortuus Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:31 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:With older games, I generally have to rely on impulse... It's rare that I see retro games around, and when I do, it's usually because I'm passing through some place and so I have to decide there if the game is a good deal or not. If I do take the game home, I always check the price online to see how I did... and so far I've been pretty good about it. I have passed up some good deals and picked up some bad deals, but I'm still learning so it's to be expected ><

That's exactly right. We have all gotten exceptional deals and really gotten ripped off at some point. But, it's part of the game. As long as you're not getting bad deals left and right then you're still doing ok. You'll eventually learn how to find those great deals, where your local spots for finding the best deals are, which resellers give great deals and which ones want every dime you have.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Some good points made already but I will join in here with some thoughts.

Experience...
- Has taught me to know what the going average rate most any game is worth online so I know when a game is good, fair or crappy deal no matter where I may find it. 99% of the time I will not go for the crappy deal. Only if I feel like I am supporting an indie game store does it feel worth it to me to spend more than the usual going rate. Spending some money at Pink Gorilla in Seattle comes to mind...
- In the past has led me to craigslist to buy large lots of games and then resell what I do not want to keep quickly. And to pawn shop for current gen deals.
- Has allowed me to build up good reputation on racketboy, ebay, gametz, and other sites for selling what I need to quickly and efficiently.
- Tells me not to buy a crap load of brand new games bc I know I can find them used a few weeks or even years later much better prices.

Impulse...
- Makes me buy some of the cheaper or unknown games I have in my collection when I find them in the wild or games that are inexpensive hidden gems.
- Has made me buy more consoles near launch than maybe needed. Ex: Right now I am on the hunt for a good deal on an Xbox One even though I only want to play Forza and Titanfall
- Makes me jump on "good deals" for the more valuable games out there. I've got a lot of RPGs I probably won't ever get anywhere near completing bc I got a so called "good deal". If I can save 25%+ on a game thats worth $40+ that is not in my collection, is well known, considered rare, or well reviewed, I will probably buy it if I have the funds.

To sum up, I try to use my experience to be really smart on each purchase but at the same time the impulse to try the next gen, collect the rare and valuable, or to simply have a really well rounded collection just leads to more spending in the end. Basically it's a win/lose situation for me but I have a lot of fun doing it so I guess that is what matters!
Last edited by 8bit on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Frag Mortuus wrote:
A few of the games I've been looking for recently have been Dark Cloud 1 & 2, Fear Effect 1 & 2 and Mass Effect Trilogy. I know that Mass Effect Trilogy used is generally a $30 game.....

Not sure if you're looking for Mass Effect Trilogy to collect or re-sell, but Gamestop still sells it new for $30. I bought a sealed PS3 copy a couple of days ago.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Well some of it is impulse, but mostly experience if it's a company I generally enjoy(and the things I find on my phone or computer about it) i'll buy it. Even though right now it's mostly experience trying to get back the stuff I already owned...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Return to Game Deals