Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Experience or Impulse?

by flojocabron Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Most of us are comfortable in the way we buy games.

we ask friends, look online, and investigate on the best deals for that one game we've been searching for.

but back to the topic: Do you choose your purchases on past experience with deals or you just buy on impulse? Do you still buy it even though its expensive or do you wait for a better deal?

I went to a fleamarket recently up in Modesto, California; and I came across many sellers with some prices that I thought were too much! One seller had lots of games and wanted Street fighter 2 for Super for $18, Super Mario All stars for $25 and Kirby's Avalanche for $20! All are cart only.

Would you jump at this or just walk away? The only one that I would consider along that price would be All-stars. But I have bought this game before for about $10.

But if I was 15 years younger and a fledgling collector would the outcome be different? I know back in the past I had made some dumb purchases but thats all a part of collecting. Live and learn.

I follow many of you guys here and check out the "finds of the day" Hell, I've posted lots there too. But sometimes I see your finds and still I think some of you may have paid too much for some of them. That's what I think initially, but for many of you, that may be the only way you can find games. Sometimes there may not be an awesome thrift store, once in a lifetime yard sale, or cool craigslist find; so you have to take what you can get.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
ryanofcali
16-bit

Re: Experience or Impulse?

by ryanofcali Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 pm

I am from the Modesto area and yes those peoples prices are a joke, I only buy games from this one lady with a 5 dollar case, sometimes you can find some good stuff for bucks but usually not, no point in buying from them when you can order shit on eBay cheaper even with shipping, If you ask what something costs and they say all different prices you know its not gonna be prices you wanna hear.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Cool, I was born in modesto. Lived there up untill 2002.

But yeah, there are sellers that enjoy doing shit like that. Some people are ignorant to things and those sellers are ready with their stuff. Got them down here in Mexicali too. A seller down here wants to charge you 150 pesos (12 bucks) for faded, dirty, downright ugly SNES games. And about 80 pesos for NES games that are just as bad. A couple of years ago a guy had a scratched up copy of Capcom vs SNK pro used for PS1 and wanted 250 pesos. ABSURD! Only cause it was a "street fighter game"

I also think that almost everywhere if it has "Mario" in the title they want to sell it more expensive to you.

It just makes me sad that people still buy stuff like this and it makes the sellers head swell up a little more.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Most of the time I'll have a price in mind I'm willing to pay and I'll just wait, especially on ebay, Craigslist, or even from people on the forums here. Sometimes I'll pay a little more if I am looking at something in person whether that's a store or the flea market. There's a little bit of impulse and a little bit of reassurance of the condition when looking in person.
shateredsoul
24-bit

by shateredsoul Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:00 am

Yeah sometimes I'll buy on impulse. I'm particularly bad with ebay. It depends on what phase I'm in my collecting.

I decide I want to collect zelda boxed games, I start buying them on ebay with buy it now to speed up the process.. but then I catch my self, and have to stop. Usually i'm pretty good. But now my major problem is reminding my self that I don't have to buy it just because it's a good deal. I bought skies of arcadia for dreamcast complete, along with grandia II (game and manual only) for $40. I thought it was fair. So I bought it.

so although I think I am better at deciding what's a fair price, now the impulse has more to do with jumping on good deals even if I don't want the game. Now the real question is, do I have time or need it now?
god
64-bit

by god Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:33 am

Here in Australia you are very lucky to see old games at all, and I am often swept up into an impulse buy purely because I'm there in front of it. There are countless examples, but they're probably evened out by the sweet deals I've had over the years. Jeez, at least that's what I tell myself.

The other day I was at some markets and a woman had boxed Snes games - Mario all stars, DK Country 2, Pinnochio, and some other worthless title. She wanted some absurd prices for them ($30, $35, $25, $25 iirc). She knew they were worth something, but seemed oblivious to the fact that after filthy market goers pawed through them and they sat in the sun for a few weeks, she would be lucky to get $10.00 for them. I tried to hit her up for a better price but she wouldn't bite. It shows I'm beginning to gain some self control, but it helps that I dont collect boxed Snes games. None of this stopped me from buying a mouldy copy of Rolling Thunder 2 from a retro game store.
Big Zenny Hustler
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:52 am

I think you impulse buy for convenience, or walk away because of experience. That, or you impulse buy because something's cheap, or walk away for fear of overpaying.

(Not to reiterate my last finds post, but) the last thing I bought was a Guncon for the PS1 for $5. It was impulse: cheap and convenient. Nothing to be jealous about. The hour before that I found Bust A Groove 2 for the PS1 for about $8. Great price that I'll more than make money back on. However you can't realistically expect to find it, or some other game you've been dying to find the next day, week, or month, online or off, at the same price or better. Looking at a finds thread can contaminate your expectations. I prefer to see it as what can be found if you're persistent at scouring all kinds of stores on the second-hand market.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:11 pm

I used to psyche myself out a lot because I would see a game I wanted and I would know it was hard to find in person, but I thought the price was just a little more than I wanted to pay for it. Then I would buy it on a sort of impulse being afraid that I wouldn't see it again for as low a price.

Now I have such a huge backlog, it's easy to walk away because I can always convince myself I have plenty of other games to play, so I pretty much just buy a game if I think the price is right and it will be worth my time to play.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Czernobog
Next-Gen

by Czernobog Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 pm

J T wrote:I used to psyche myself out a lot because I would see a game I wanted and I would know it was hard to find in person, but I thought the price was just a little more than I wanted to pay for it. Then I would buy it on a sort of impulse being afraid that I wouldn't see it again for as low a price.

Now I have such a huge backlog, it's easy to walk away because I can always convince myself I have plenty of other games to play, so I pretty much just buy a game if I think the price is right and it will be worth my time to play.

I still tend to do the psyching myself out part despite trying not to. Then again, I've had three occasions where I found a great game at a great price, told whoever was with me I was going to get it, and then turned to find that someone else now had it in their hands and was making a purchase.
Croooow!
128-bit

by Croooow! Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:45 pm

I used to buy a game if it was a good deal but that was when I was more focused on building a collection than actually playing games. Now I don't buy games unless I'm going to start playing it to complete it right away. I find that I get more enjoyment out of games and spend less if I only buy games I'm going to play right away, regardless of whether or not it's more expensive than average.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

Return to Game Deals