Why is everyone selling everything right now?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
AaronC
8-bit

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

Post by AaronC »

Over the past year or so, I've been cleaning my collection out of games I'm not going got play or ones that I can easily require if I did want to play them. I do this mostly to trade for games I want to play, but ever so often I'll look of cash if I need it for vacation or possibly paying off a bill.

I think as far as selling your collection, it really does come down to where you are in life. I had a pretty sizable NES collection that I didn't have a ton of money in. Just got lucky in getting a lot of lots for dirt cheap that had a lot of good stuff in them. I met a gal, fell in love, and wanted to marry her. I looked at the majority of that NES collection and sold a big chunk of it to get a pretty sizable down payment on an engagement ring. Best decision I ever made. We've been married a year and 1/2 and it's been awesome. The reason I tell this story is that when I was younger, I don't know if I would have even considered selling any of my collection for any reason. My life changed and that made me look at my collection in a different way due to that change.

In short, I totally agree it's where you are in life when it comes to deciding set or letting some of our stuff go. If collecting truly makes you happy then go for it, but just don't let it get in the way of possibly making your life even better. And just to clarify, my wife was actually pretty mad when I told her my plan. She knows how much I like my games and is very supportive of my hobby, and told me to never sell any of it for her. She is good with it now haha!

A quick story about her and how awesome she is: When we were looking for a house to buy, her first priority was finding me a game room. I like to display my collection (like most of us here I assume) and it had been packed up for quite sometime during our transition from staying at my Grandmother's old house and finding a place of our own. When we did find a house we both liked, I started pulling my stuff out and making sure I had it labeled correctly for the move. She was sitting on the couch and watching me pull box after box out of the large closet I had it in. She all of a sudden started crying and I stopped and asked her why. She was crying over concern over me not being able to fit all my stuff in the room in the new house. I told her I would make it work (I'm also a shelf expert haha!) and all she needs to worry about is the rest of the house (a fact she reminds me of now and then when I have decorating objection haha!). I knew I made the right decision before this, but the fact she cared so much about my one of my hobbies was pretty cool.

Sorry to make this thread all mushy haha! I have an awesome wife and she continues to make my life better and better every day.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

noiseredux wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:And you've only shipped 0/3rd of the stuff you've sold me. :P

Truth!

noise is the best at shipping things :wink:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Slowest shipping on the forum guarantee!
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Thread needs more pictures. More wife pictures, Noise pictures, and more random PC games for Noise to play.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

chupon wrote:more random PC games for Noise to play.

Ricochet

The Terminator

G-Nome

Treasure Mountain

Trails of Battle
Good luck on this one
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

chupon wrote:More wife pictures

:shock: Did I miss something?

--

Okay Noise, I'll recommend some old DOS games for you. These are the top 5 DOS games I loved playing back in my 9th grade keyboarding class (circa 1993):
ScubaVenture
(Scuba diving exploration / maze hybrid.)

Hugo's House of Horrors
(Spooky adventure game.)

F-29 Retaliator
(Fun flight sim that's not as crazy complicated as say Falcon 3.0 was.)

Scorched Earth
(Mother of all mass-multiplayer artillery combat games.)

QBasic Gorillas
(A simpler artillery combat game that's surprisingly addictive.)

I played and beat a lot of other PC games in that class, but those were the ones I kept coming back to. (My teacher didn't care if I played games, as long as I'd completed my assignments first. Since I could type at 85wpm even back then, that didn't take me long.)

You can probably get all those off DJ Oldgames preconfigured with DOSbox.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've wanted to play Hugo's for a while. The others are new to me. That scuba ones looks really interesting.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Exhuminator wrote:Hugo's House of Horrors

Atleast go for Hugo 3 Jungle of Doom:

All three Hugos are on GOG:
https://www.gog.com/game/the_hugo_trilogy
But Hugo 2 is terrible, stupid bee hedgemaze puzzle.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I'm in the process of selling almost everything that isn't PS2, PS3, PS4, Vita, Dreamcast, Saturn, Neo Geo or Neo Geo Pocket, and that's mainly because those are the few systems I have that I want that there aren't really convenient EverDrive-like solutions to. If I can ever manage to get the SD card solutions to the Dreamcast and Saturn, if Darksoft ever comes out with that SD2MVS thingie, and I ever get off my butt and do the hard drive thing for the PS2, I'll probably start cleaning out that stuff too. Well, probably just the PS2 for now - I have an unhealthy obsession with Sega and Neo.

I've been selling off stuff for a few reasons:
1) I gotta move at the end of the month, and the less stuff to move the better.
2) Sega Saturn is really the only old school system I play anymore, to be honest, so I've had unclaimed money taking up space for a while.
3) While I try to avoid emulation, I've never really had a problem with playing copies on original hardware. Sure, I'd prefer the real deal, but at the end of the day I don't need it.
4) I gotta eat.

Sure, it hurt a bit to sell off my childhood copies of Turtles In Time and Link to the Past, but what must be done must be done.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:The others are new to me. That scuba ones looks really interesting.

Man, the DOS gaming rabbit hole is a DEEP one. I could really go nuts recommending all kinds of obscure DOS games here. I'll refrain for everybody's sake (and we're so off topic now). But, since we were talking about creepy shareware adventure games for a second, let me mention this old favorite:

The Last Half of Darkness came out circa 1990, it had some sequels, but the original was my favorite. As a kid, I spent many a late night gettin' spooked trying to beat this one. Never did beat it. Maybe I should go back and do so.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.