Ludopathy, can it affect gaming?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Ludopathy, can it affect gaming?

Post by Erik_Twice »

This is kind of a senstitive topic but I think it's worth discussing.

If ludopathy, or problematic gambling is indeed an afliction, does it affect video games too? I see no reason why it wouldn't unless it's explitely about throwing money which to me seems like something that could be replicated in any other way.

Any explanations from our most knowledgeable forumnites?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
flash1987
24-bit

Re: Ludopathy, can it affect gaming?

Post by flash1987 »

Doesn't this count as a form of addiction? You can definitely see dangerous addictions to gaming whether it be with MMOs, MOBAs and competitive FPSs or even with more 'casual' games like people spending thousands in mobile games like clash of clans
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I don't think gambling addiction, specifically, would translate to video games.

There are common aspects of psychological addiction or unhealthy obsession that would line up between the two.

That said, video games lend themselves more to escapism. It's less that the actual activity is particularly harmful, and more an issue of what gets pushed aside in pursuit of it.

Gambling, on other hand, inherently involves risk. For "problem gambling", likely, the actual compulsive behavior is directly causing damage to the addict's life.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I would say that competitive online games are starting to cater towards people who like to gamble for instance Battlefields Battle Pack system and Halo 5s new card based power up systems where you spend real money on what equates to virtual booster packs. It's all worthless crap but people seem to be more then willing to throw money down on the chance that they may get a leg up on someone else in a game :roll: .

I'm also sure there are nice gambling rackets built around MLG, LoL, Madden, Fifa, and etc :P .

As for regular gaming/collecting I think sometimes escapism and hoarding can play a role, but not gambling so much. Unless you are addicted to buying mystery game lots on eBay or something :lol: . Also I guess there are things like GoGs mystery game event that they had during their winter sale which would count as a form of gambling as well.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

My ex is a gambling addict. If she walks into a video poker parlor, she won't walk out with a single penny in her pocket. A lot of these video poker games are inspired by modern touch screen games on ipad.

When she's too broke to gamble, she plays gambling-style video games without any money on the line. For instance, her favorite DS cartridge is Clubhouse games because she can play blackjack, texas hold 'em, and similar card games. She loved the PS2 game world series of Poker. She stayed up all night playing that.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Freemium games I think would qualify as a source of ludopathy. They are a lot like gambling. Buy tons of this in-game currency so you can buy keys to chests or tokens that provide some random draw element. Combine with various guild/alliance mechanics where players can pressure each other to buy in order to benefit the group, and you have a recipe for serious issues for a select few individuals. And the game makers count on that. They need those "whales" to pay thousands of dollars.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

marurun wrote:Freemium games I think would qualify as a source of ludopathy. They are a lot like gambling. Buy tons of this in-game currency so you can buy keys to chests or tokens that provide some random draw element. Combine with various guild/alliance mechanics where players can pressure each other to buy in order to benefit the group, and you have a recipe for serious issues for a select few individuals. And the game makers count on that. They need those "whales" to pay thousands of dollars.

This. Pretty much every MMO these days have some kind of random lock-box usually filled with junk but with the possibility of getting rare and valuable items. Whales already do spend hundreds to thousands of dollars every month when new ones come out.

A lot of online games continue to profit because they use gambling as a marketing tool.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I think one thing to consider, and something that has been bothering myself personally lately, is trophies and achievements.

I don't know if gambling would be the right thing to compare it to, but it is addictive. I noticed it since I'm currently at my parents, and don't have access to my games. I'm jonesing to get my fix. I want to get those insignificant little digital baubles. Its even affected my gaming habits a bit- some of the games I've wanted I've passed on because I the idea I couldn't get the multiplayer trophies bothers me.

That was part of my reasoning behind my post about getting more PS3 games- I figured if I have enough, I won't be looking at trophies, I'll just be focused on playing games. It went from "these are easy and I like this game, so I'll complete the trophies" to "I'm boosting highly hard to complete online trophies for Red Dead Redemption so I can have that platinum to feel proud of myself..." I also think that if I had more to do outside of gaming currently, it would help. Of course, this might just be one of my obsessive gaming things that passes later.
Last edited by Forlorn Drifter on Sun May 15, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I've always completely ignored achievements unless they're an excuse for me to keep playing a game I've beaten to death but want to keep playing.

My girlfriend on the other hand will obsess over achievements.
Glitch42
8-bit

Post by Glitch42 »

In South Park, Satan talks to Stan about addition as Stan had had a problem with spending ALOT of money on a freemium mobile game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B29YStCYorY
As a psychologist in training I can tell you it's actually pretty much spot on as to the views of modern psychologists. Plus it's funny...! :)
It’s Not A Glitch. It’s A Feature. It’s Art. It’s Beautiful ~Sandy Mathes