The NES isn't retro.

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: The NES isn't retro.

Post by fastbilly1 »

jetto-setto wrote:The incorrect usage of "retro" is a misconception about what the word means. It doesn't have to be an official change in the English language.

Looks like we have an "ironic" situation here. Words have meanings, but sometimes the common vernacular shifts the meaning to mean something else.

By the wikitionary definition, retro can only apply to fashion or music, which is absurd.
jetto-setto
8-bit

Post by jetto-setto »

fastbilly1 wrote:
jetto-setto wrote:The incorrect usage of "retro" is a misconception about what the word means. It doesn't have to be an official change in the English language.

Looks like we have an "ironic" situation here. Words have meanings, but sometimes the common vernacular shifts the meaning to mean something else.

Well, actually, how common is this usage of retro anyway? It seems mostly confined to the gaming community.

For instance, I've known girls who are into vintage clothes/fashion. They call old clothes "vintage", and new clothes made to imitate a similar style "retro". Correct usage of the two words.
Last edited by jetto-setto on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

The future ain't what it used to be. -YB

If somebody misuses a word, note it, and move on. Unless you are debating semantics with Dish, which is a lot of fun.

Do what you already did, which is post the definition of the word and move on. People will still say their shoelaces are epic, people will still literally say they literally died today, and people will keep omgin and hahaing. Plus "vintage", ugh.

Nomenclature changes, but I think "retro" fits for the NES. For kids who didn't have one and gre up with a SNES, the NES is a "throw back" if you will, meeting the definition. Kind of.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I don't have any issue with calling things in the future "futuristic" if they incorporate modern tech or designs.

Word meanings change and evolve over time, especially from jargon or slang, but also such things as colloquialisms. Are you ok with calling something "cool," "hot," or "swell"? You might view "retro" as just another slang word, given a specific meaning by a subset of people who play video games. But as that community of people playing video games expands and older games become more available and prevalent, the subset of people who will interact with that slang term will adopt it until it eventually becomes the norm.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Luke wrote:

If somebody misuses a word, note it, and move on. Unless you are debating semantics with Dish, which is a lot of fun.

I love you Luke.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
jetto-setto
8-bit

Post by jetto-setto »

Alright, well, it was worth a try. :lol: Continue as you were.
Ack

Post by Ack »

jetto-setto wrote:Alright, well, it was worth a try. :lol: Continue as you were.

Just remember, it's all literally epic. :wink:
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

This is the most petulant thing I've ever seen in the website and I post on it. :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
jetto-setto
8-bit

Post by jetto-setto »

Erik_Twice wrote:This is the most petulant thing I've ever seen in the website and I post on it. :lol:

lol, the post wasn't meant to be taken quite that seriously. Did I not use enough smilies?
Ack

Post by Ack »

jetto-setto wrote:
Erik_Twice wrote:This is the most petulant thing I've ever seen in the website and I post on it. :lol:

lol, the post wasn't meant to be taken quite that seriously. Did I not use enough smilies?

The general rule for sarcasm here is blue text...though we tend to play fast and loose with that rule.