The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Ack

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by Ack Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:34 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:All the girls I personally know either grew out of stuff like FPS games as they grew older

Why would someone "grow out of stuff like FPS"? Are you implying the genre is inherently childish?

According to my mom and a lot of other moms I've known, yes. Whether girls growing out of violent games is due to maturity or just their sex, I don't know, but I've seen it happen.

Perhaps it is. But then, what isn't?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Maybe glorifying violence for violence's sake is a bit immature. But I can think of FPS games which are mature in both their tone, plot, and execution. So I don't think the genre itself is inherently childish. Not sure what my mom would think but her frame of reference isn't really there either.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:I just said they do it at a lower rate.

I won't argue that if you made a pie chart of violent game enthusiasts that males would greatly dominate said chart. What I was arguing is that there are plenty of females who enjoy violent video games. Hence it's a human spirited interest and not just a male spirited one.

So then, you are in agreement with my early comment of "mostly male spirit". Since noone made the claim that all females refrain from violent videogames or that only males engage in violent videogames, I fail to see what's to argue.

I must add that I feel nature sounds better than spirit.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:31 pm

pepharytheworm wrote:So then, you are in agreement with my early comment of "mostly male spirit".

I wouldn't say it's "mostly male spirit" when females also partake in violent gaming. Phrasing it that way sounds exclusive. Since males and females are both humans however, "human spirit" works better for me.

Or "human nature" if you prefer. That works too.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:48 am

Women overwhelmingly play World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is a violent game (very literally; characters attack with weapons and killing in order to move up is the main point). I think the frame of the question here is inherently wrongheaded.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:37 am

More men still play WoW, but for women that is the most played game.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:52 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:Women overwhelmingly play World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is a violent game (very literally; characters attack with weapons and killing in order to move up is the main point). I think the frame of the question here is inherently wrongheaded.

"Overwhelmingly" only means 39% of all WoW players, apparently, and according to the article, that means "it's the most-played "core" game for that gender." 39% being the very highest percentage of female players found for a "core" game isn't that impressive at all, not when you're trying to make the case that male and female gamers don't have a real difference in tastes regarding violence. And WoW is already pretty tame, all things considered.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:55 am

BoringSupreez wrote:when you're trying to make the case that male and female gamers don't have a real difference in tastes regarding violence

Nobody was trying to make that case.

The question was do any females enjoy violent video games? The answer is yes some females do in fact enjoy violent video games. Therefore males do not have a monopoly on playing video games with violence or death in them.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 am

Exhuminator wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:when you're trying to make the case that male and female gamers don't have a real difference in tastes regarding violence

Nobody was trying to make that case.

The question was do any females enjoy violent video games? The answer is yes some females do in fact enjoy violent video games. Therefore males do not have a monopoly on playing video games with violence or death in them.

I don't see that question being asked in this thread, or that fact being denied by anyone here.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:42 am

BoringSupreez wrote:I don't see that question being asked in this thread, or that fact being denied by anyone here.

It was originally implied when this poster said:

Tempest wrote: What is it that makes violence and aggression so appealing to male gamers?

The implication being that these elements are not appealing to female gamers. When in reality there are female gamers who do find these elements appealing, as we've discussed in detail since.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Games As Culture