The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21469
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by Ack Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:34 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:All the girls I personally know either grew out of stuff like FPS games as they grew older

Why would someone "grow out of stuff like FPS"? Are you implying the genre is inherently childish?

According to my mom and a lot of other moms I've known, yes. Whether girls growing out of violent games is due to maturity or just their sex, I don't know, but I've seen it happen.


Perhaps it is. But then, what isn't?
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by Exhuminator Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Maybe glorifying violence for violence's sake is a bit immature. But I can think of FPS games which are mature in both their tone, plot, and execution. So I don't think the genre itself is inherently childish. Not sure what my mom would think but her frame of reference isn't really there either.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by pepharytheworm Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:I just said they do it at a lower rate.

I won't argue that if you made a pie chart of violent game enthusiasts that males would greatly dominate said chart. What I was arguing is that there are plenty of females who enjoy violent video games. Hence it's a human spirited interest and not just a male spirited one.

So then, you are in agreement with my early comment of "mostly male spirit". Since noone made the claim that all females refrain from violent videogames or that only males engage in violent videogames, I fail to see what's to argue.

I must add that I feel nature sounds better than spirit.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by Exhuminator Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:31 pm

pepharytheworm wrote:So then, you are in agreement with my early comment of "mostly male spirit".

I wouldn't say it's "mostly male spirit" when females also partake in violent gaming. Phrasing it that way sounds exclusive. Since males and females are both humans however, "human spirit" works better for me.

Or "human nature" if you prefer. That works too.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7818
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by o.pwuaioc Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:48 am

Women overwhelmingly play World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is a violent game (very literally; characters attack with weapons and killing in order to move up is the main point). I think the frame of the question here is inherently wrongheaded.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by Jmustang1968 Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:37 am

More men still play WoW, but for women that is the most played game.
User avatar
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9740
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by BoringSupreez Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:52 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:Women overwhelmingly play World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is a violent game (very literally; characters attack with weapons and killing in order to move up is the main point). I think the frame of the question here is inherently wrongheaded.

"Overwhelmingly" only means 39% of all WoW players, apparently, and according to the article, that means "it's the most-played "core" game for that gender." 39% being the very highest percentage of female players found for a "core" game isn't that impressive at all, not when you're trying to make the case that male and female gamers don't have a real difference in tastes regarding violence. And WoW is already pretty tame, all things considered.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by Exhuminator Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:55 am

BoringSupreez wrote:when you're trying to make the case that male and female gamers don't have a real difference in tastes regarding violence

Nobody was trying to make that case.

The question was do any females enjoy violent video games? The answer is yes some females do in fact enjoy violent video games. Therefore males do not have a monopoly on playing video games with violence or death in them.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 9740
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by BoringSupreez Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:36 am

Exhuminator wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:when you're trying to make the case that male and female gamers don't have a real difference in tastes regarding violence

Nobody was trying to make that case.

The question was do any females enjoy violent video games? The answer is yes some females do in fact enjoy violent video games. Therefore males do not have a monopoly on playing video games with violence or death in them.

I don't see that question being asked in this thread, or that fact being denied by anyone here.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Interesting Research: "Sexist Games=Sexist Gamers?"

by Exhuminator Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:42 am

BoringSupreez wrote:I don't see that question being asked in this thread, or that fact being denied by anyone here.

It was originally implied when this poster said:

Tempest wrote: What is it that makes violence and aggression so appealing to male gamers?


The implication being that these elements are not appealing to female gamers. When in reality there are female gamers who do find these elements appealing, as we've discussed in detail since.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests