The Skill Gamers

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: The Skill Gamers

Post by Exhuminator »

Ghegs wrote:The linearity is present, but it's only superficial when it comes to skill-based games. In those there is a vast array of different, yet meaningful and valid ways of getting from A to B. There is no such equivalent in adventure games, they are linear by gameplay design as well as narrative design.

The way you describe the adventure game genre makes it sound like the player never has any agency in the matter. While that is true with certain adventure games, it is not with many others. I could list quite a few adventure games with multiple solutions to any given puzzle, and also those with different endings based on conversational choices the player makes. With skill based games vs adventure games, our examples hinge entirely from game to game in both genres, wholly dependent on any particular game in question. With the amount of variety present in both camps, generalizations are all one do, and those are ultimately meaningless without context.

I say we agree to disagree here and stop derailing the thread.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
embossedtransport
16-bit

Post by embossedtransport »

Can this thread apply to BF4? Because I take sniping as a challenge...trying to be top in the world!
Playing: Battlefield 4
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Sniping in Breath of Fire 4? Please elaborate.
Weekend shmupper
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nyukki wrote:Sniping in Breath of Fire 4? Please elaborate.

Admittedly I never found sniping easy in any of the Battlefield games. I always preferred doing support stuff...or bullshit. A lot of bullshit.
embossedtransport
16-bit

Post by embossedtransport »

Yea I meant battle field 4..lol I love sniping in BF4. I love it so much im on my way to becoming one of the best in the world. My K/D is on its way to the top!
Playing: Battlefield 4
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Really the scope glare killed sniping for me in the Battlefield series. Usually as a sniper I would just provide spotting services and support fire for friendlies but due to scope glare you just become a target for everyone before you even fire a shot. After BF3 the sniper class just became stealthy assault unit to me I basically equipped a sub machine gun, spawn beacon, and radar equipment and focused on sneaking behind enemy lines.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Fragems wrote:Really the scope glare killed sniping for me in the Battlefield series. Usually as a sniper I would just provide spotting services and support fire for friendlies but due to scope glare you just become a target for everyone before you even fire a shot. After BF3 the sniper class just became stealthy assault unit to me I basically equipped a sub machine gun, spawn beacon, and radar equipment and focused on sneaking behind enemy lines.

The best sniper I knew in the Battlefield series mostly commed and used his rifle more for identifying great places across the field to launch air strikes in support of his team or to flank a bit for squads that were pinned down. Of course, that was a long time ago, in BF2142. I know the guy still plays, but I haven't touched the series in a long time.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Man I wish they would make at least a spiritual sequel to 2142 already loved that game.
Andavive
8-bit

Post by Andavive »

The game has to be dificult but balanced and fun, its not enough if you just make the game hard.

A lot of flash games like Cat Mario are tough to beat because of their trial and error system. But they get boring in a matter of minutes.

The only games i like to "master" are Shmups because "it feels good man" when you clear the stage without dying once xP
Other than that i just play it for fun, not much of a skill player, but i thing every player gets to master a game eventually.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I definitely fall into one of those categories. My main obsession has always been finesse...

I try going through games with no deaths, and if possible, no damage.

I can tell you I "beat" a beat'em up if I used a bunch of extra lives and continues, but I don't feel like I REALLY beat it unless I can do it on one life or AT LEAST with no continues.

I also obsess over rankings (got A+ on all levels in Hotline Miami) and completion (Platinum trophies), which is why I hate Xbox One's current achievement system that has limited time only achievements, making 100% percent completion essentially impossible on most games.

What I generally DON'T care about:

High Scores - If there is no ranking system, (see above) I don't care about scores. Why do ranks matter to me but not scores? Hell if I know, just the way I'm wired. Guess letters matter more to me than numbers

Leaderboards - Eh, the ENTIRE FREAKING WORLD is too much competition for me, and it's not like you can stay on top for more than an hour anyway before someone kicks you off your throne.

Speed runs (Unless it's for completion or unlocking something) - I don't like being rushed in general...not just in video games

Sequence breaking

Low level rpg runs, or anything that requires a "handicap" - I don't believe in limiting myself. I'm a "win by any means necessary" kind of guy.

Sadistically hard games - I like to challenge myself, but generally don't like games that feel like they were designed by douchebags

In terms of genres that tend to bring out the "skill gamer" in me, beat 'em ups, Japanese rpgs (must complete and collect everything, max out all characters), and platformers (find all gems, chaos emeralds, collect every single ring, find all hidden areas, etc.)

I'm also the kind of gamer to find every collectible and hidden area in a game WITHOUT a guide.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.