A scholarly article on piracy that uses RB forum threads!

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
dsheinem
Next-Gen

A scholarly article on piracy that uses RB forum threads!

Post by dsheinem »

So in doing some research I came across this article called "Retro Gaming Subculture and the Social Construction of a Piracy Ethic" which had some quotes I was sure I recognized (starting around p. 756). A little bit of Google-Fu and, sure enough, some of the threads here were being cited!

Here are the threads I picked up on that were used in the essay. Lots of old and new regulars are anonymously cited including jp1, CRTGAMER, weasels, the7k, JT, Luke, Ivo, MrPopo, and more:

viewtopic.php?t=18577

viewtopic.php?t=17103

viewtopic.php?t=17888

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11412&p=112566

So some of you can say you were cited in the International Journal of Cyber Criminology

As for the author - Steven Downing - are you still kicking around here? 8)
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: A scholarly article on piracy that uses RB forum threads

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote:So in doing some research I came across this article called "Retro Gaming Subculture and the Social Construction of a Piracy Ethic" which had some quotes I was sure I recognized (starting around p. 756). A little bit of Google-Fu and, sure enough, some of the threads here were being cited!

Here are the threads I picked up on that were used in the essay. Lots of old and new regulars are anonymously cited including jp1, CRTGAMER, weasels, the7k, JT, Luke, Ivo, MrPopo, and more:

viewtopic.php?t=18577

viewtopic.php?t=17103

viewtopic.php?t=17888

So some of you can say you were cited in the International Journal of Cyber Criminology

Am I credited? Not sure what post he used from me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Luke wrote:
dsheinem wrote:So in doing some research I came across this article called "Retro Gaming Subculture and the Social Construction of a Piracy Ethic" which had some quotes I was sure I recognized (starting around p. 756). A little bit of Google-Fu and, sure enough, some of the threads here were being cited!

viewtopic.php?t=18577

viewtopic.php?t=17103

viewtopic.php?t=17888

Am I credited? Not sure what post he used from me.

No, neither the site or members are credited, which I assume is intended to protect anonymity. I recognized the arguments/topics and then googled the threads and quotes.

Luke, you are the person cited as a self-professed Christian or some such.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I came for the quotes but stayed for the article. There's a lot of interesting observations about our subculture, some obvious and others more in-depth.

It covers all of the angles of collecting vs. pirating as well from authenticity to financial concerns. I think the retro community really does struggle with how preservation of software should be handled especially with all the gray areas it creates.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Thanks for the heads-up, I will go and check it out and be back later with my thoughts on it.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote:Luke, you are the person cited as a self-professed Christian or some such.

I nearly busted a gut when he cited me as "the preacher".
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I read the article. Now I'm going to hazard a guess:
Could the author be... JT?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

samsonlonghair wrote:I read the article. Now I'm going to hazard a guess:
Could the author be... JT?

No, he's a psychologist and was in grad school at the time the essay was published.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

That's exactly why I guessed him. I'm speculating that the author was in grad school in 2011.
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

samsonlonghair wrote:That's exactly why I guessed him. I'm speculating that the author was in grad school in 2011.

Well the author taught/teaches in Canada and JT lives/went to school in Seattle and works in an entirely different field.

Here's the author's university website: http://www.socialscienceandhumanities.u ... owning.php